Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Moyvally is surrounded by trees but these are well back from the course perimeter, it's inland flat links style so relies on the wind to make it difficult. As it's pretty flat you'll be grand on most tee shots. Lovely 16th and tricky 18th.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Does anyone who carries their bag regularly (normal carry bag) find any correlation between carrying and how they play, compared to when using an 3 wheel/electric trolly when they play?

I’ve carried my bag my whole life really unless sometimes when home and I use my father’s electric one. I do believe carrying the bag is really poor for my shoulders/back (physios have said so in fairness)

Do you think though that someone (maybe it depends on your age) would save shots using a 3 wheel/electric trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think it depends on what your level of fitness is. I always used to carry my bag but years ago when I was a member of Lisheen Springs (South County back then) I regularly found myself knackered going up the 18th, which wasn't great if I was trying to finish off a decent score or if a match went down the 18th. And I would've been reasonably fit too.

I use a 3-wheeler push trolley now and wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I made a comment on this a while ago. In my recent rounds my ball striking has dropped off a cliff in the second half of my round. I carry and I wonder if that's contributing to it. I haven't tried a trolley so don't have a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was out the other night for 12 holes, was piping hot. Straight onto the first, reach for a golf ball and they're all very warm too.

Now I usually hit 5 iron off the first which goes around 180 metres but this goes 220 metres, this continues with ball flying off the club face and travelling much further than usual eventually the ball cools and my distances return to normal.

Now I'm presuming that the ball was travelling further as it was heated, so I was thinking would the pros have some heating mechanism in the bag to keep the balls warm for extra distance and is there any rules being broken here?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've played equally bad golf with carrying, a push and an electric trolley but you're giving yourself a better chance of good golf with an electric imo.

I think you've to be extremely fit for a carry bag not to cause a little bit of fatigue versus an electric trolley. You're literally just out for a walk with an electric trolley and you notice the difference even over a push.

Ya I think too that long-term you’ll probably save shots using the electric trolley. Obviously in individual rounds you mightn’t notice but if you tracked over a year it may well end up that way

I know in my home course my two finishing holes are a bit of a grind when carrying the bag and you do feel it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Ya, I got qn elec trolley at xmas and find it makes a difference. Not half as tired & it defo has shaved a few shots off although that said, it is easier to get a carry bag into bushes & the trees 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

😄

That's a bit like a friend of mine says, bad golfers shouldn't wear shorts! Legs are always in bits lately after a round due to nettles, brambles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

I much prefer carrying and wouldn't play any other way personally, no idea if it affects my scoring as I don't have a comparable. I never feel fatigue is an issue though, might be different if playing 36!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I play in Stackstown, on the medal course the 15th green is the lowest part of the entire property so 16,17,18 is an uphill slog all the way. I got an electric trolley a few years back and jokingly said it's going to take 3 strokes off my game but in reality it's not far off the truth on medal days

It's illegal to do anything out of the ordinary to heat the golf balls. Any 'deliberate' heating is against the rules (wrapping in a towel, top, hand warmers etc.). Basically, if you know it's going to make the balls warmer, it's against the rules.

EDIT: Actually found the R&A ruling. Kinda confirms the above:

'(2) Deliberately Altered Ball Must Not Be Played. A player must not make a stroke at a ball whose performance characteristics have been deliberately altered, such as by scuffing or heating the ball or by applying any substance (other than in cleaning it).'

Did bryson not boast in the past about some solution he made up to test this balls. And he'd only use one per pack or something like that. I wonder was that legal.

Remember seeing a video of him putting them in liquid to find the "true center" of each ball and then uses that true center to mark his putting line aid (as the line on the ball commonly used is rarely this "true center").

I think that's what you might be thinking of as I seem to remember that he also discarded some of the balls as they weren't up to scratch in whatever way.

That wouldn't count as altering the ball though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I started carrying alot more earlier this year. Went back to the trolley and scores fell off so carry all the time now. Probably nothing to do with the bag but I enjoy carrying aswell so I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭coillcam

Amazing what a quick lesson can do. Playing decent enough of late but plateau somewhat. Both driver and irons being inconsistent but irons more so.

Went for a lesson and explained the inconsistency with 2 way miss on irons and not getting reliable distance. Though I tended to hook the ball more often than slice.

So I hit about 10 balls on my seven iron, while he observed and glanced at trackman. I was instructed to bring my right hand over more to the left on the grip and bring the ball slightly forward of centre. No other instructions and 2-3 balls later I'm striping it with a tight draw shape. Done and dusted. Same grip, tee slightly lower and ball slightly more forward and the driver is hitting bombs.

Amazing such small tweaks can yield such a result. Really ups my confidence for the rest of the season.

8.1 index player

Hypothetically a perfect lie of a ball - Why potentially would someone have a heavy draw/borderline hook with 4/5 iron but not really with the shorter irons? Basically, the longer the club, the more draw I get and I really feel like when I'm playing a fade I have to force/exaggerate weight on my right foot/swing plane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'd say to visit your pro for a lesson as above 😁.

None of this is advice btw but it's what was explained to me. My local pro said that the ball was slightly too far back (I thought it was centred), encouraging the draw shape. Meanwhile, I was trying to compensate with my hands which led to inconsistencies. The grip change steadied up my hands also. Afterwards, everything felt smooth and natural with the swing, I could even push it a bit more on the CHS as a result.

Like yourself, I found that 8 iron and up wasn't as big of a problem but on longer irons the misses became amplified.

Interesting ok, so maybe have a look at having the ball more towards my lead foot. Must try it out

Yeh, I'm def due lessons for longer irons at some stage soon

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I've only ever went for one lesson myself. About a year ago. Was trying to recitify a slice by changing a few things myself. 15 minutes into the lesson and the Pro told me where I'm going wrong. (grip and hips). Worked great for me. Still have a tendancy to slice but no where near as much. My iron play has improved so much more too. Getting much better distance. Going back for another lesson end of month as I'm finding I'm hitting more irons left now than ever before. I played that long with the slice in mind I used to point out left, still have the tendancy to do so which explains some of the iron play shots. Would definitely recommend going for lessons if you want to improve.

• Advertisement

Ya I must do. Using Arccos I think probably have a high enough ceiling judging by my SG off the tee (especially with distance) and my putting

It's the irons are trouble and keeping me at 8 currently

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Random golf rule question

Under penalty, are you allowed to retake a golf shot anywhere (including on the green) within the confines of a golf course?

The scenario is your ball is on the green and you hit your putt into a hazard. You drop, under penalty on the green.

Thanks for any guidance.

Yeah that's fine. It doesn't even need to go into a hazard. You're always entitled to pretend your ball is in an unplayable lie even if it's on the green and replay the last shot with one penalty stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Length would be more beneficial on the Monty course I would think, I prefer the O'Meara from a picturesque/variety perspective.

Great back 9 Sunday at the Ladies Major

Q If playing in a 4ball better ball and a second pair are not on the timesheet, can a third player join us and mark our card?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice win for Clarke, just holds off Harrington to add a senior open to his open championship win.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Do many clubs open "a book" (betting) for their Captain's Day? Can't help but think we're in a minority that do...

Not sure it's officially the club that operate it, in fact, I think it's just a couple of members who take the bets. But you'll find the betting board in the bar in the lead up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

My old club use to do it but was set at a 5er. I think you were backing yourself and if you won got the cash dont think you could back other players

Advertisement