Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah very good. Hope they do the business for ye :D

Sadly we were beaten yesterday in the Connacht final by Connemara Isles. They have a very very strong team and I'm not just saying that because we lost to them lol. Match was 3-2 so it was close enough and none of the matches were beaten out the course. They blitzed us with birdies in the opening 6 holes and got off to an early lead in 4 of the matches and just held on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'd say with different volunteers and assistants manning the phone, it would be tricky to allow negotiable rates. Probably clubs should have a discount for booking 3 or 4 golfers together.

I had similar with my own club recently where they wouldn't give me a slot for guests during competition time, although there were plenty of vacant slots and they clearly weren't going to be filled. Eventually got it but I'd almost gone elsewhere. I have to respect that they might have been setting a precedent though that may have caused issues down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh the setting precedents thing I completely understand, especially if it’s a larger course

It’s just when the amounts of money involved were so low anyway I really thought they’d make the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Grabbing every dollar isn't generally good business sense. If they reduce green fees when the sheet isn't full, people might stop paying the €25 because they know they can get it for €20. Even when they don't have somewhere else to play, they might not pay the €25 because they feel ripped off. It's similar to restaurants that do lunch. Some people won't want to pay evenings prices because they can get the same meal at lunchtime for half the price. For some restaurants, they'd lose money overall by opening for lunch.

Similar story for letting in green fees during Sunday comp times. It wouldn't take many before the sheet is suddenly full and members can't get into the comp because there are green fees on the course.

Are the Mount Juliet Junior and Intermediate Scratch Cups only on the Friday next week?

Seems a tight fit for those two comps. Would’ve loved to have played but fully booked out obviously

• Advertisement

H-Cap Question on Club Fourball (Matchplay)

‘Course Handicap on day of match. Lowest player goes to zero. Remaining players come down accordingly, and then 90% of the difference’

If my course handicap is 10 and partners’ is 21

Does this mean: Me - 0, Partner - 21

90% of the difference is 18.9 so we’d be off 19?

Seems generous - Or am I understanding it wrong. It’s basically just 90% of higher handicap players’ handicap that ye will be off?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

90% of the difference, the difference in 11 (assuming you're the lowest player.

Ya I’m the lower player

Ah cool ok - so the ‘lower player go to 0’ thing wasn’t needed to be mentioned really!

So hypothetically they way you mention it, if two players are off 12, what would they be off as a pair?

I literally thought it would just be half of combined course handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Depends who they were playing.

If they were playing you and you partner, they would be off 2.

For what it’s worth, I emailed them yesterday asking to go onto waiting list and they emailed me back this morning giving me a cancellation for 11am

Looking forward to it. Haven’t played Mount Juliet in 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Playing last night and a fox cub was on the course. He was very playful and robbed our balls off the fairway to play with them. Didn't take them too far, but he was not too afraid of us when we came to collect our balls. Sign of the times I suppose but somewhat sad to see the domestication of the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Do you know what the handicap limits are for both scratch cups? Just checked the time sheet and there seems to be a good few spaces in the morning. I checked last week and it was completely full so they must have a lot of last minute cancellations.

Never mind, just spotted they have the limits on BRS! Junior Index - 2.9 - 8.4, Intermediate Index - 8.5 - 14.1.

Yeh I'd say weather might play a part as-well-as people booking the second the thing was open for bookings without knowing if they could play or not

Looking forward to it

Hi all

Do McGuirks accept GUI Vouchers? Father has some from some South Munster Senior things built up and independent stores/pro shops just can’t compete with the prices/quantity of options in McGuirks

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Only asked this to a McGuirks employee last week. Yes they do

Thank you

That settles where he’ll be buying so

Was fairly disappointed with prices in a couple of independent shops

General rules query for everyone. I was playing in the weekend comp yesterday and on the 18th hole I pulled my approach shot badly and the ball came to rest on a bit of rock that was embedded in the rough about the size of a small coffee table. I knew this wasn't deemed an immovable obstruction that you'd get relief from like a cart path but I bought a knew set of wedges over the summer and really didn't fancy dinging them hitting off this rock for a competition I was out of by this stage anyway.

What me and my playing partners decided I should do was take a 1 shot penalty drop no closer to the hole and play from there. So I'd be hitting my 4th instead of my 3rd. Similar to if you declared a ball unplayable and took the penalty drop.

I asked in the Pro Shop after and they said this was probably the right course of action but I was thinking after, would taking stroke and distance be the proper option, or just play it as it lies and deal with it? Interested to hear people's opinions.

Afaik, you had three opinions under the penalty of one stroke.

1. Go back to play from the original spot, or

2. Take two club lengths relief, no closer to hole, or

3. Go back as far as you wanted along the line of ball and flagstick, or

Play it as it lies, no penalty obviously.

If it was me, on the 18th with nothing to play for, I would be taking relief regardless of new clubs or not. Wouldn't even risk the slight chance of an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

I'm not a rules expert but as far as I know what you did was correct.

You can declare an unplayable pretty much anywhere for 1 stroke. I think you just have to play from the same part of the course eg if in a bunker you have to stay in the bunker, if in rough you have to stay in the rough

• Advertisement

Think you're right with the bunker, you have to stay in it.

The two club lengths is one rule that is probably broken from time to time. Innocently enough I would imagine.

i.e if you're in the middle of a huge gorse for example, you might still be in it after you take two lengths. Have seen some people trying to take 2 lengths from the edge of the gorse rather than where their ball is in the gorse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can take an unplayable from a bunker and drop out of the bunker but it's a two stoke penalty.

I agree OP, if you were going to wreck your club then unplayable and two club length relief or the other options, two club length likely being the quickest option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The bunker two shot penalty was brought in recent enough. But I think it is an option of a local rule that a rule

EDIT: I am wrong

https://www.golfmonthly.com/golf-rules/can-i-take-a-drop-from-a-bunker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭coillcam

Playing Athlone tomorrow for an open comp. Ended up solo on the 2nd last slot. If anyone is interested, feel free to throw your name down. Nice little course and good value @ €25 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

No so much random but something that bugged me today.

I went to the local par 3, short enough holes but hadn't played in ages and my game has come on a bit. I hit an 8 iron on a hole I would normally have hit 7 or 6. I thought it was short so paid no heed. When I got over the hill I could see the ball had gone long and close to the person teeing off on the next hole so obviously felt guilty. I apologised and told him that I thought the short was short. He then takes his tee shot, finishes the hole and I take my shot. I see he's standing on the next tee box not taking his shot so I presumed he was going to let me play through. Nope. He waited until I was standing beside him to shank not one but two balls from the tee. He must have been so annoyed at me that he decided to stand around for a few minutes just to slow me down. Seriously not sound from him.

Anyways, just wanted a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can anyone recommend and good rangefinder off Amazon for less than 100 quid?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any well known scams on donedeal. I've a potential buyer for a set of irons and he's looking to order via donedeal by card. Is there something I should be looking out for. I've never heard to this on donedeal. Buyer hasn't even haggled on price which stated open to reasonable offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I've never sold anything on donedeal to someone using a card so I'm not sure what the process is but anyone using a credit card has the potential to advise their bank that they dispute the payment and get a reverse charge.

I always say to trust your nose on these kind of things especially if its for a decent amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’d steer clear lots of scams on done deal

• Advertisement

Went with gut feeling on this one. No sale. The payment link also has a group chat on it. They are obviously doing alright out of it

Advertisement