Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So got the prices for the courses that have open membership near (near!! :pac:) my house. Either way, its the guts of an hour each way, which is not ideal, but it is what it is, and i'd happily(ish) drive even further for golf.

Beaufort - €625 - 59 minutes drive
    Kenmare - €500 - 1hr 2mins drive
    Ring of Kerry - €400 - 56 mins drive

Are any of the three noticeably better/worse then the others?

Will join Dooks next year, as it's only 48 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Kiith wrote: »
    So got the prices for the courses that have open membership near (near!! :pac:) my house. Either way, its the guts of an hour each way, which is not ideal, but it is what it is, and i'd happily(ish) drive even further for golf.

They are in the correct order if you equate price to quality in my opinion. Beaufort is a nice playable course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Heard from a good teaching pro the new G425 driver is the business, very forgiving. Reviews have been excellent so far. Think it will be this years best selling driver.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/ping/g425/g425/

Think I might wait for the G426;) Longer and straighter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Think of it as an hour listening to music/podcasts without missus in your head :D:D

Heard from a good teaching pro the new G425 driver is the business, very forgiving. Reviews have been excellent so far. Think it will be this years best selling driver.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/ping/g425/g425/

I am G30 and have loved it. Have talked myself out of an upgrade a good few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

kenmare would be my choice. nice club with an active membership. competitive teams (gui interclubs) if u are interested in that side. Beaufort is a nice course aswell.
    ring of kerry is beautiful, probably has the best putting surfaces in kerry during the summer but a very tough walk( hilly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Is Maine Valley(formerly Killorglin) not open for membership? I'd rate the other 3 courses ahead of it but I assume its closer to you.

If I had to play one of them once, I'd go for the challenge of Ring of Kerry but if its to join and play every week, then that's a different story.

Ring of Kerry is cheaper than Ballyheigues 9 hole. I don't play comps, just 9 casual holes once or twice a week in the drier months. It would nearly work out cheaper just to pay green fees for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'd be leaning towards Beaufort myself. Have always enjoyed playing there. Grear short game practice facilities too.

Cheers all, i'd like to try each of the courses, but if it's members only like last time, i may not have that option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cheers all, i'd like to try each of the courses, but if it's members only like last time, i may not have that option.

Agreed, you should try each course, I'd be highly surprised if they don't give you a free round and not put you out with some decent members.
    Shame such a travel distance though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame such a travel distance though

Yeah, tell me about it. I won't mind it, as i love driving around here, but i will pretty quickly miss the 6 minute journey from front door to 1st tee that i had in Tullamore.

Won't stop me getting out to play in the evenings though. Will just have to start work early.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can anyone give me a bit of a review on Kilkea Castle Golf Resort in Co. Kildare please? What’s the course like? Is it a good place to stay, to eat etc?

After the lockdown a group of us are planning to go somewhere for a few days and this Resort has been suggested by another party. Nobody in our group knows anything about it. Thanks.

Regarding the course, Boards society played it last year, I thought it was a lovely course, speed of greens suited me down to the ground, lush trees and super vista finishing hole up to the castle.

Regarding the course, Boards society played it last year, I thought it was a lovely course, speed of greens suited me down to the ground, lush trees and super vista finishing hole up to the castle.

It wouldnt be in my top 20 courses. It is a fine course, your typical midlands course....I dont really like the turf on midlands courses. Not sure how suited it would be for a lads trip as a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Beaufort is a lovely course.
    Kenmare is a lovely track too but I'm not gone on some of those holes where you have to cross the road.
    Never played ROK but it's supposeded to be very hilly.
    My only concern about these is that I'm not sure how they hold up in winter. Beaufort would be my pick but it does get quite soft.

Dooks is a fine course. I think membership there is very reasonable too, they seem to be getting more and more traffic each year

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I can vouch for Beaufort as I think I said somewhere before that I played it day before Captains in Dooks with a few other boardies and thoroughly enjoyed it, good test and a very welcoming clubhouse

@Kiith, why not join Dooks this year, much close and superior course (but not during downpour)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looking for some opinions on membership options. I'm based in finglas.

Currently play a bit at Clontarf thru a family member who is a member, I was a member there as a juvenile. The 4.5k joining fee is what's making me hesitant on joining.

Other options that are closest would be Silloge which wouldn't be high on my list as I've played it a good bit but not mad on the course but very competitively priced.

Forest little which I've played once around 15 years ago but know nothing about the membership/course other than that.

St Margaret's, swords open, roganstown and elm green all others within 20 mins or so that'd fall under potential options.

Anyone able to offer thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

VW 1 wrote: »

Currently play a bit at Clontarf thru a family member who is a member, I was a member there as a juvenile. The 4.5k joining fee is what's making me hesitant on joining.

Other options that are closest would be Silloge which wouldn't be high on my list as I've played it a good bit but not mad on the course but very competitively priced.

Forest little which I've played once around 15 years ago but know nothing about the membership/course other than that.

St Margaret's, swords open, roganstown and elm green all others within 20 mins or so that'd fall under potential options.

Have you tried Hollywood lakes, I'm not a member but good course/club. I've a few contacts there if you were interested

Actually yeah now you mention it, a friend's dad used to be a member there. Played it once in my teens, they were just having the new clubhouse built at the time. I'll have a busy summer trying out these places again before making decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Living in Finglas I'd say Elmgreen is your best option, Sillogue is brutal, €4.5k hello money to Clontarf is ridiculous, not even a fun golf course to play, Margaret's is nice but I hear there is too many members and hard to get on the sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Stacksey wrote: »
    Living in Finglas I'd say Elmgreen is your best option, Sillogue is brutal, €4.5k hello money to Clontarf is ridiculous, not even a fun golf course to play, Margaret's is nice but I hear there is too many members and hard to get on the sheet

member in elmgreen myself. joined as it is closest to me.

they now have a one in one out member policy ( allegedly) due to increases since covid.

i assume most clubs mentioned have the same covid time sheet pressures.

@Kiith, why not join Dooks this year, much close and superior course (but not during downpour)

I would if i could, but when i emailed they said they only accept members once a year, and that would be October/November for 2022. I emailed them again, to ask if there was any way of getting in for this year, but no reply so far.

Might try them on twitter, as they were pretty slow at replying the last few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stacksey wrote: »

I find Elmgreen a bit too hilly.
    When joining a course it’s always a good idea to think if you can play it when you’re in your 60’s, 70’s and maybe 80’s without having to hire a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

the walk up the 3rd fairway and the 16th apart its fairly flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I find Elmgreen a bit too hilly.
    When joining a course it’s always a good idea to think if you can play it when you’re in your 60’s, 70’s and maybe 80’s without having to hire a buggy.

It's not a wife he's looking for!

Yeah I'm 32 and quite fit so hopefully no issues with hills for a while.im drawn with clontarf as its a club I know well, been playing it since I was 12 and know quite a few members and like the course. Just a lot of upfront payment when there's cheaper options locally on courses just as nice. I'll get out to play elm green and forest little again when thi GS open up and take it from there. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Yeah I'm 32 and quite fit so hopefully no issues with hills for a while.im drawn with clontarf as its a club I know well, been playing it since I was 12 and know quite a few members and like the course. Just a lot of upfront payment when there's cheaper options locally on courses just as nice. I'll get out to play elm green and forest little again when thi GS open up and take it from there. Thanks for the info!

Margaret’s as entrance fee of 2k and Forrest Little 1k.

Most clubs are full but when renewals get finalize there might be a few spots but I reckon they will be gone quickly on the decent tracks. Tee times will be a premium this year because lack of social and sport events and nobody going on hols.

I know we have around 40 on the waiting list at Corrstown but no entrance fee yet.

You would qualify for the other category in most clubs but I believe they are all full for 2021.

I don’t think you will get the choice you think you will get, ie most clubs aren’t taking in new members unless someone leaves and very few leaving.

member in elmgreen myself. joined as it is closest to me.

they now have a one in one out member policy ( allegedly) due to increases since covid.

i assume most clubs mentioned have the same covid time sheet pressures.

Lets just say there are 250 free spot available now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Holy moly. That's a lot of non payers of subs for 2021!!!

Advertisement