Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

bailey99 wrote: »
    Holy moly. That's a lot of non payers of subs for 2021!!!

not surprised.

they've done and said nothing about the closures from 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

not surprised.

they've done and said nothing about the closures from 2021.

What's the total membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Should be walking down 3rd now.....😡

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Should be walking down 3rd now.....��

I’d have been on the putting green at that time just honing my undoubtedly skills 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

bailey99 wrote: »
    What's the total membership?

Its still about 650

I am sure more than half of those will pay once we reopen or they will need wait 6 months to rejoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Its still about 650

I am sure more than half of those will pay once we reopen or they will need wait 6 months to rejoin

so non payers can start paying on the opening date?

that cant be correct.

they are either paying members or they are not.

i assume half of them dont have a renewal date of april 5th.

so non payers can start paying on the opening date?

that cant be correct.

they are either paying members or they are not.

i assume half of them dont have a renewal date of april 5th.

No they will need to pay subs missing or what 6 months from their renewal date

So tee times may be easier to come by initially

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would you buy a putter without trying it first?

I'm in need of an upgrade, and was going to buy one and get some practice on the mat before we are back, but not sure about buying a club i haven't tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Kiith wrote: »

I'm in need of an upgrade, and was going to buy one and get some practice on the mat before we are back, but not sure about buying a club i haven't tried.

It depends, I bought a 2nd hand Scotty Cameron Laguna around Christmas but I've always used a blade putter so was reasonably confident it would suit me fine. I don't think I'd buy something like a Spider or the Phantom Scotty without at least having a few putts in a shop with one. I think if you're buying the same style of putter its less of an issue, blade to blade, mallet to mallet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Personally I probably wouldn't. Weight, feel and how it looks behind the ball are very important when it comes to putters. It is the club you use most every round so I'd be slow to invest without having a few putts with it beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

How much are you spending? If a decent amount i'd probably want to try if totally new to you.

I did buy a spider x without trying it but i knew i wanted 1 for ages & had a go off a friends 1 a few times on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I'm not sure why this came into my head today, but every time I play a course with any amount of gorse I wonder why the heck is it not treated as a water hazard (yellow staked). In most courses it's nearly a guaranteed lost ball, even if you did manage to find it, it would be unplayable. It wastes so must time with people attempting to find the ball and then having to go back to the last spot and replay, especially off the tee it can be a huge penalty. It would really help pace of play, if you knew you just needed to drop behind the hazard or just replay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

dwd wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this came into my head today, but every time I play a course with any amount of gorse I wonder why the heck is it not treated as a water hazard (yellow staked). In most courses it's nearly a guaranteed lost ball, even if you did manage to find it, it would be unplayable. It wastes so must time with people attempting to find the ball and then having to go back to the last spot and replay, especially off the tee it can be a huge penalty. It would really help pace of play, if you knew you just needed to drop behind the hazard or just replay!
    2 courses with fabulous gorse and great to play in May when it's in full bloom are Rathcore in Meath and Royal Curragh in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dwd wrote: »

It's an interesting thought alright. I'm in Castlewarden and they've actually done something similar in parts of the course.

They declared some areas that are pretty dense with trees and scrub, generally in areas that balls shouldnt be landing, as hazards, to speed up the process and allow people to take a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Question, more than a thought. Can chipping, pitching endlessly during lockdown improve your longer game. Even if ony fuller wedges and fuller feel shots? Presume it can help timing and have other improvements?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Question, more than a thought. Can chipping, pitching endlessly during lockdown improve your longer game. Even if ony fuller wedges and fuller feel shots? Presume it can help timing and have other improvements?

Should help confidence if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the women's amateur event from Augusta this week on TV?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭paulos53

Saturday's final round is on Sky Sports and it will also be on their YouTube channel

Olivia Mehaffey has finished on level par for 36 holes and is currently in 2nd spot. If she stays there she might be in final group and should get plenty of TV coverage

Edit: Only 4 players are under par for the day and Olivia has the best with a round of -3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

Is there YouTube channel free to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think this fits in random golf thoughts...

Maybe an idea for any committee members out there. Castlebar golf club recently looked for any unused golf trollies from members in order to have them converted into portable bins/rubbish collectors for the very active tidy towns committee.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=444078923331255

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Is there YouTube channel free to watch?

Yes

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

Great. I'm interested to see how the girls find the course. And if it's set up in a similar way to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭siblers

When women play on male PGA events, do they use the same tee off spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi all

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so will try here. I want to get my father a voucher for an online golf shop and am wondering if anyone could recommend any. The only one i know is mcGuirks and am just wondering if there are any better value ones i might look at?

Thanks

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi all

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so will try here. I want to get my father a voucher for an online golf shop and am wondering if anyone could recommend any. The only one i know is mcGuirks and am just wondering if there are any better value ones i might look at?

Thanks

Can't go wrong with mcguirks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Drive to survive is a great show on Netflix but would a golf version work? I'd like to see it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

siblers wrote: »
    When women play on male PGA events, do they use the same tee off spot?

Yes but nobody really has played since they stared destroying golf courses

In some ways when they used play in same comps the women were much more professional about their conditioning.

Since then the lads have stepped it up and 200 yard drives the norm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So what has everyone bought during lockdown?

Sim Max 3W and a Shotscope V3 for me, along with a bunch of golf balls to lose when we get back. Want to get some clubs re-gripped as well, but will have to wait till clubs are open i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

This this time last year when down started I have bought
    Garmin Approach s62 watch
    Scotty Cameron Newport special select putter
    52 and 56 degree Vokey SM8 wedges
    Couple of dozen Pro v1x
    Putt out and putt out Matt
    Net - still in box
    Heap of golf clothes

I think I have an issue :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

So what has everyone bought during lockdown?

Sim Max 3W and a Shotscope V3 for me, along with a bunch of golf balls to lose when we get back. Want to get some clubs re-gripped as well, but will have to wait till clubs are open i suppose.

Had mine regripped recently during lockdown. Ring a couple of pro-shops if you're not a member at the moment and I'd say you'd get sorted before the reopening.

It's kinda crap though having the clubs ready to go with thicker grips but not able to try them out!

Advertisement