Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do people bother getting fitted for 3 woods / 5 woods?

I have a gap in my bag between my driver and my 5 hybrid, was going to pick up a 5 wood. Or alternatively, Cleveland have this HyWood thing which seems to get decent reviews. I have the Cleveland Halo 5 hybrid and it's so easy to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

How long will Rossapenna stay at those rates though. 3 cracking courses on the same campus, my only negative was there was no proper food options when you got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I went to Golfstyle on Sat with the kids (usual story, I wasn't getting anything myself) and came home with a 3 wood! The difference a matching head/ shaft to suit you can make can be huge. They have a TrackMan there and in fairness to the lads there, they won't sell you something that doesn't suit. After starting with whatever shaft was in it and thinking it was fairly good, he tried three other shafts and the difference between the first and last was about 20yds carry and a lot more consistency.
    Clubs have go-faster stripes/ fancy designs/ etc. etc. to fool Joe Punter but the proof is in the pudding: it doesn't mater how it looks, you must be able to hit it consistently well and the only way to do that is try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Most of them do. We are playing three rounds and the breakdown in pricing was:

Enniscrone €70 GUI / €195 non-GUI
    Carne €65 GUI / €160 non-GUI

Strandhill €60 GUI / €160 non-GUI

We were originally going to play Rosses Point over Strandhill but their pricing was fairly out of whack with the other, were looking for €125 GUI and €265 non-GUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭OEP

Rosses Point is a tier above the others. When compared to the likes of Ballybunion and Lahinch, who don't offer GUI rates, it's good value.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Another handicap question.

I get a different playing handicap at my club depending on whether I sign in via the computer to a competition, or if I create a scorecard in the golf Ireland app for casual golf.

When I do casual golf, it gives me a full shot extra over 9 holes. Same tees, same WHS index, same day.

I can see in the app right now if I create a score card I'll get a PH of 15. When I sign in later at the club the computer will give me a PH of 14 (which is more in line with what I'd expect to get).

Anyone any idea why this is? Is this something to do with how competitions are set up in the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Singles competitions over 18 Holes you play off 95% of your course handicap

So hypothetically we will say your Handicap Index is 18.0. In your course that might equate to a Course Handicap of 20. Your playing handicap then in a competition will be 95% of 20 = 19.0

The sticker printed from the computer sorts it all for you anyway

From an article: ‘The reasoning is that, in fields involving a large number of players, there will generally be more higher handicappers participating.

If the 95% is not applied, there will be greater chance of a higher handicapper winning as’

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to disagree, I found Rosses a very good course but highly overrated, would put many other links ahead of it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭coillcam

3w is often a strange club for a lot of people because plenty of us don't use it often. When you find the right club for that part of your bag, do hold onto it. It might be a 4w (sometimes called high launch 3w) or 5w also as theyre a lot easier to hit. The improved consistency is often way better than that odd time you do hit the 3w well. Forgiveness is more important than having a low spin bomber for 99% of golfers.

At some point I wasn't able to hit my old 3w anymore and occasionally took it out of the bag as it was affecting me that much. Tried loads of options and couldn't settle on one that felt tight.

In the end I punted on a used one from adverts. Stealth plus 3w head on a 5w shaft and it turned out to be a perfect combo for me. Concedes a small amount of distance but the benefits are enormous. It's just so much easier to hit and I've no fear in ripping off the head cover. I've reached more par 5s in 2 this year than the previous 2 years. It's a good tee option for when my 3i doesn't have enough carry and driver isn't the play.

Go to a local fitting day for a cheap (free) option if times suit. It's a tricky part of the bag to figure out so it's well worth trying a fitting if you've got the spare funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

For anyone that follows golf You Tubers. Has Marc Crossfield completely given up the on course vlogs? I was never his biggest fan, but funnily enough at the same time, he's the reason why I started watching those types of You Tube videos.

I feel like he was one of the first to be doing it, if you look back to some of his stuff from 10 years ago or more (I would have watched most of them), its very amateurish looking compared to some of video footage we get now. Peter Finch for example seems to have at least 2 camera men, along with drone's going around when he plays. The editing is quality too. Same goes for the Good Good guys, Rick, Grant and the rest. Maybe this additional expense was not worth it for Marc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'd imagine it's cost related or maybe he's not pushed to play/shoot golf anymore. The big guys have various full time staff on the books who only do videos/editing. They've easily covered salaries with a the various commercial tie ins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and the big guys have backing too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

And they’re somewhat likeable. I think mark was so popular because he was one of the only ones to do it at the time. If you remember when the other lads started doing it he became very bitter and used to slip in digs in videos and call people out on twitter etc for copying him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Your probably right, he was definitely the first that I remember doing it.

I just find it odd, that giving the popularity and growth that's happening within this form of YouTube content, and the fact that he seems to have been one of the original pioneers of it. That he never seemed to try to expand with it or grow it further for himself. I did like coach Locky on it to be fair.

Advertisement