Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas welfare bonus is a national disgrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

No issue with welfare or the Christmas bonus for genuine people.

I do have an issue with able bodied people claiming it for more than 3 consecutive years. After 3 years it should cease. 3 years should be enough time to get a job.

There are people out there abusing the system. Im not talking about people who have a myriad of genuine issues. Im talking about the c.unts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

When you know who the thread OP is just by reading the thread title :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Another week commences with SW bashing.

So just for clarity.

Get the notion of €350 Bonus out of the picture. Not only did a vast majority not get this amount, they infact got far less. Anyone on PUP will actually understand this. Most got €250,some got €300, alot got €203 and a few the full amount of €350.

Secondly the amount is infact taxable

Finally but most importantly those on PUP probably worked for years, paying taxes like everyone else, indeed its likely most never, ever had to depend on a SW payment in their lives. Crucially the vast majority are on PUP because either their places of employment are shut due to covid restrictions or their jobs have been seriously impacted by the restrictions. There's also an enormous amount of self employed on PUP whose businesss essentially vanished as a result of Covid.

It's a typical disgrace to generalise SW payments and not for a moment try to understand the real and sincere hardship PUP Recipients have endured since last March.

As an important aside to PUP bonus, the OP might also want to understand, most SW Recepients are not unemployed, there's disibilty, carer's, widows etc in receipt of payments and indeed some also get the Bonus albeit nowhere near €350.

The OP is perhaps more offended by long term unemployment payments generally, that's an entirely seperate matter and I'm not going to get into that.

So a little context and objectivity sometimes helps, albeit there will also be narrow minded SW bashing hysteria no matter what the facts show.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

theballz wrote: »
    Friend of mine works in BT, she said they are expecting the busiest few days of the year this week with the welfare bonus.

Says it all.

Its 11 days until Christmas and shops have been closed. That's why they'll be busy. Not because of double dole. Most people I know in good jobs earn double dole by Tuesday every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Friend of mine works in BT, she said they are expecting the busiest few days of the year this week with the welfare bonus.

Says it all.

Your friend thinks the SW bonus is the reason for the few busiest days of the year in BT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Says it all.

No, the fact that we are under 2 weeks from Christmas says it all. Plenty of people get Christmas Bonuses from their jobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Its 11 days until Christmas and shops have been closed. That's why they'll be busy. Not because of double dole. Most people I know in good jobs earn double dole by Tuesday every week.

Underlined is the important part to some people.

Personally I don't really give that much of a shit to begrudge it. Fatuous arguments about them spending it locally are a bit annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its a little bit extra at a time of year that people need it. Its been a **** year for everyone. A lot of people who have worked and paid into the system there whole lives have lost there jobs, and are unlikely to find a new one until this pandemic is over.

A little bit of extra money will mean a lot for them at Christmas and double so due to the year we have all had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

wes wrote: »
    Its a little bit extra at a time of year that people need it. Its been a **** year for everyone. A lot of people who have worked and paid into the system there whole lives have lost there jobs, and are unlikely to find a new one until this pandemic is over.

A little bit of extra money will mean a lot for them at Christmas and double so due to the year we have all had.

Then it should go only to these and not the career welfare lifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

With borrowing and national debt at the current levels, the sw bonus is completely irrelevant.

• Advertisement

The Christmas welfare bonus will cost €389 million this year. Pretty sure Ireland is unique in the entire western world in giving out such double welfare. Instead of rewarding work, effort and talent, we decide to reward those not working. Even if it didn't cost hundreds of millions, even if it was cheap, it's the principle of the matter. We are rewarding idleness. There's something very Irish about it.

Now we have hairdressers claiming they are "cheated out of" the €350 christmas bonus because shock horror, they are now working and not on welfare. Nauseating, child-like sense of entitlement.

Wrong. But why let facts get in the way of a rant. Anyone who was on PUP for at least 4 months from March, even if they had returned to work with the lowering of the level on December 7th will receive the bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 quazzy1

The Christmas bonus was much appreciated for any of us who literally haven't been allowed to work for 9 months.

I'd much rather be working, but the bonus meant that I could actually afford to pay my rent this month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Says it all.

Same in Ladbrokes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Wrong. But why let facts get in the way of a rant. Anyone who was on PUP for at least 4 months from March, even if they had returned to work with the lowering of the level on December 7th will receive the bonus.

And so they should, they were all working and through no fault of their own could not. No issue there.

If the money is needed it could be added to the weekly payment and spread out across the year. It shouldn't be given as a bonus. It's too much of a reward for people who don't manage their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sour, small, petty, jealous, bitter mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It is a 53rd week - less than a 2% bump in the overall cost of the dole per annum.

Xmas is expensive for those on low / no incomes, so I like that they get it, and hope I never have to. Much more important things to be worrying about.

3DataModem wrote: »
    It is a 53rd week - less than a 2% bump in the overall cost of the dole per annum.

Xmas is expensive for those on low / no incomes, so I like that they get it, and hope I never have to. Much more important things to be worrying about.

We'll just increase the dole by 2% and let people save the extra if they want for Christmas.

The bonus encourages people to remain financially unaware and stay in their current situation longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

GarIT wrote: »
    If the money is needed it could be added to the weekly payment and spread out across the year. It shouldn't be given as a bonus. It's too much of a reward for people who don't manage their money.

Yeah but the thing is most benefit recipients are not able to manage their money because by and large they do not have any.

If for example you are a long term social welfare recipient then you are probably not the sharpest, poorly educated, go from one low paid insecure job to the next (when you do manage something) and generally live hand to mouth.

The rationale is a £390m boast to the local economy and retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Says it all.

Yep, a week before Christmas, shortly after all the shops reopened having been shut for 6 weeks, but it’s people living on meagre means buying designer handbags instead of buying a nice meal and some presents for their kids that’ll have BTs busy.

Deep socioeconomic analysis from the shop assistant in BTs. Next thing we’ll be taking investment advice from taxi drivers and sure the barber, the barber had Enda in the chair only last week and didn’t he say it’s all a hoax...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This is just going over old ground OP. There's nothing particularly 'current' about it really.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement