Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician Apprenticeship

• 14-12-2020 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Hi would January be a good time to start an apprenticeship.
    I know you get called to phase 2 after a few months but do the colleges run all year round or only certain times of the year .

Would they be open September to May then closed for summer or how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭zega

the places that do phase 2,ETB centres or Fas centres they used to be called are open year round for classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭The Mulk

DeanW27 wrote: »
    Hi would January be a good time to start an apprenticeship.
    I know you get called to phase 2 after a few months but do the colleges run all year round or only certain times of the year .

Would they be open September to May then closed for summer or how does it work?

The way the current capacity is in the training centres,(Covid delay etc.) you could be waiting up to a year to be called to Phase 2(depending where you are in the country).
    Get started and registered as soon as you can, would be my advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 DeanW27

The Mulk wrote: »
    The way the current capacity is in the training centres,(Covid delay etc.) you could be waiting up to a year to be called to Phase 2(depending where you are in the country).
    Get started and registered as soon as you can, would be my advice.

Thanks for advice. If your waiting that long would you still be on the same wage? I have heard it can take up to 2 or more years which sounds a bit much for me how can they make you wait that long and still finish within the 4 years.
    Do you carry over the on the job training if you have gone well over of 3 months ?

DeanW27 wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. If your waiting that long would you still be on the same wage? I have heard it can take up to 2 or more years which sounds a bit much for me how can they make you wait that long and still finish within the 4 years.
    Do you carry over the on the job training if you have gone well over of 3 months ?

Your employer pays your wages, and your yearly rates go up every year on the date that you started.
    SOLAS will pay you a training allowance while you attend your off the job training (Phases 2,4,6)and this will be dated from the date your employer registers you as an apprentice. i.e. you will get 2nd year rate if that is when you attend Phase 2 off the job
    If you get a start with an employer you will need to see how soon they'll register you.
    You should be finished your 7 phases within the 4 years, but there seems to be a delay with Covid on how many apprentices can attend off the job training at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just some friendly advice if you are successful in your apprenticeship . Take your job training phases seriously and dont miss classes , you would be surprised at the level of maths by the final phase. If you dont miss any classes and put the effort in they teach you everything from scratch , if your missing classes most struggle. I have seen alot of lads over the years not being able to complete or needing multiple repeats because they dont take it seriously and see it as the "college experience".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Your employer pays your wages, and your yearly rates go up every year on the date that you started.
    SOLAS will pay you a training allowance while you attend your off the job training (Phases 2,4,6)and this will be dated from the date your employer registers you as an apprentice. i.e. you will get 2nd year rate if that is when you attend Phase 2 off the job
    If you get a start with an employer you will need to see how soon they'll register you.
    You should be finished your 7 phases within the 4 years, but there seems to be a delay with Covid on how many apprentices can attend off the job training at the moment.

I think I read somewhere that the employer pays for all the apprenticeship phases now.

Found the link.......

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/vocational_education_and_training/apprenticeships.html#l62fd2

gooner99 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that the employer pays for all the apprenticeship phases now.

Found the link.......

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/vocational_education_and_training/apprenticeships.html#l62fd2

That's only for 'New Apprenticeships' (post 2016) e.g. Polymer Technician or Insurance Practitioner.
    The existing Craft Apprenticeships are still operating the same way, see below from your link.
    So if you sign up to an electrical apprenticeship in 2021 you still come in under the pre 2016 rules, as that's when the apprenticeship was set up.

"Apprenticeships developed before 2016: While you are training on the job, your employer will pay you a recommended apprenticeship wage. The ETB pay a weekly allowance equivalent to that wage while you are training off the job. In some cases, the ETB will contribute to your travel and accommodation costs.
    Apprenticeships developed in 2016 and after: Your employer will pay you for the duration of the apprenticeship. The rate of pay is agreed between you and your employer."

I'll link you to the list of apprenticeships , as there are a lot of new ones being developed
    https://apprenticeship.ie/career-seekers/get-started/discover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

That's only for 'New Apprenticeships' (post 2016) e.g. Polymer Technician or Insurance Practitioner.
    The existing Craft Apprenticeships are still operating the same way, see below from your link.
    So if you sign up to an electrical apprenticeship in 2021 you still come in under the pre 2016 rules, as that's when the apprenticeship was set up.

"Apprenticeships developed before 2016: While you are training on the job, your employer will pay you a recommended apprenticeship wage. The ETB pay a weekly allowance equivalent to that wage while you are training off the job. In some cases, the ETB will contribute to your travel and accommodation costs.
    Apprenticeships developed in 2016 and after: Your employer will pay you for the duration of the apprenticeship. The rate of pay is agreed between you and your employer."

I'll link you to the list of apprenticeships , as there are a lot of new ones being developed
    https://apprenticeship.ie/career-seekers/get-started/discover

Ah ok. I picked that up wrong. I thought it was apprentices that started after 2016.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Ah ok. I picked that up wrong. I thought it was apprentices that started after 2016.

Yeah, it can be a bit confusing alright.

One thing that is different to when I served my time is that if you attend an IT (or TU as some are called now) you have to pay student fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Domis

Question. Is phase 2 initially starts online?is there a need to go to college in first two weeks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement