Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Owning A Gun Attract Burglars

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Tell fcukall people that you have a gun. Then there should be no problem. Most of us hide the gun safe where it won't be easily found. I've a monitored alarm on the house too which helps.

In reality not many guns are stolen when you consider there is about 200k of them out there.

If there was a high risk of your firearm being stolen, the Gardai wouldn't let you have it in the first place.

This. Keep it to yourself and keep it locked away, preferably in some out of the way area like the attic or behind a false wall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Ask your insurance company -

Especially in the country its known who has guns and they tend to be at a higher risk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Especially in the country its known who has guns and they tend to be at a higher risk

Have you any evidence to back up that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

9 times out of 10 they avoid a house that they know to have guns for reasons they intend to keep their heads on their shoulders from the horse's mouth so to speak, now there is your cheeky opportunist burglar who will give it a go, just avoid telling people you have guns. break the shotgun down in to main parts and for rifle's take the bolt out hide it in a separate room, you'll never stop them all you can do is make it harder for them to get into the safe,

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I asked my insurance company to insure some of my guns. They covered a high value gun for less than €40 on top of my house insurance. Covered for theft, loss or damage inside or outside the home.

I imagine if it was high risk I'd be paying alot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

To be honest this aspect about firearm ownership never bothered me, maybe it did my wife somewhat. I own several firearms. And I think a lot of people know that I have them, only because I belong to several ranges where I meet other firearm owners. But by the same token I also know many people that own firearms.
    BUT then I have made it my business to do what I can to make it a little harder for potential thieves to 'Have a go'. And I of course have a monitored alarm system in place with an 'Under duress' code that will call the Garda direct.
    At a local neighbourhood watch meeting our CPO said the best and cheapest thing to do was to put up a Dusk to Dawn outside light. Easy to do with a sensor and LED floodlight, cost little to erect and run and will give you light when coming home in the dark.
    I have several cameras that cover all my home both inside and out recording to the 'Cloud' so no recording unit to rob.
    Next is to put your firearm on your house insurance, should be no or very little increase in cost.

Quote......
    "Civilian Possession
    In the year to 31 July 2008, the number of firearm certificates on issue in Ireland was 233,120. Each certificate qualifies its holder to possess a single, specified firearm, along with a maximum quantity and described type of ammunition.The number of certificates has risen slowly since 2000, when 207,000 were on issue."

So an increase of 26,120 firearms in those 8 years.
    I'd say firearm ownership has gone up since then.

You don't hear of them getting stolen, because they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

tudderone wrote: »
    Aren't farmers exempt from locking up their shotguns though ?

No, but the actions of some farmers leaving guns in sheds is part of the reason the security regs were introduced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A number of years ago i asked the local CPO to call up to the house to look at my security for the firearms I had in the house.

First thing he said was do you have a cabinet/safe. He went on to say most firearms are robbed cause they are easy got at and since most burglars spend 3 minutes in the house they dont want to spend time trying to open a safe.

I asked him if I should put up a cctv system, again he said you need two cameras
    1, front door and back door

a burglar will always ring the front door bell, if there is no answer he will go around and knock on the back door he then went on to say

If someone wants your guns.....they will ring your door bell and take them you can do nothing about aggravated burglary and its rare....best advise ever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

One great alarm and help too is our 4 legged pals.
    Having a couple of dogs barking like crazy can be enough to deter as well.
    Esp if it is of a bigger and more intimidating breed. Used to have a Great Dane, no one would come near the place inc the Post, AGS, deliveries by any courier company and strangers,of the scrap buying or farm gate selling variety
    [Despite him being an utter coward and let himself be bossed about by a Jack Russel Terrier]. Just because of his size and extremely menacing deep bark.

They were a great duo for an alarm. The little fellah would wake the house with his noise, and then the big fellah appeared to join in.
    Both rescues from the dog pound so an excellent early warning system for some food, and vet bills.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

I agree 100% on this
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Esp if it is of a bigger and more intimidating breed. Used to have a Great Dane, no one would come near the place inc the Post, AGS, deliveries by any courier company and strangers,of the scrap buying or farm gate selling variety
    [Despite him being an utter coward and let himself be bossed about by a Jack Russel Terrier]. Just because of his size and extremely menacing deep bark.

They were a great duo for an alarm. The little fellah would wake the house with his noise, and then the big fellah appeared to join in.
    Both rescues from the dog pound so an excellent early warning system for some food, and vet bills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup.

Looks the part but in the house a complete softy.

Here is one of mine. Mazikin. Aptly named when she is outside, but when she is inside she likes her comfort, and yes that is a radiator she has her arse against. :rolleyes:

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Advertisement