Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Vs Married Tax Credits

• 14-12-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I've searched Citizen Info etc. and can't find a clear answer to my question.
    So as a single person my tax credits to claim are €3,300 in total, same as my fiancé.
    Once Married does both our Tax credits increase to €4,950 each?
    Basically my employer is fairly old school at paying wages and pays me a set figure weekly, example €500 per week after tax no matter what my tax credit rate is, I just want to know once married how my weekly situation will change.
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

piobhan wrote: »
    So as a single person my tax credits to claim are €3,300 in total, same as my fiancé.
    Basically my employer is fairly old school at paying wages and pays me a set figure weekly, example €500 per week after tax no matter what my tax credit rate is, I just want to know once married how my weekly situation will change.
    Thanks for the help

what?? Do you get a payslip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thanks for the help

As a married person you can choose to be jointly assessed, both incomes are then combined and taxed. Both person's Personal tax credits are added together for a tax credit of €3,300. You do not get an extra tax credit of €1,650 for being married.

The benefit to this is if one you is not working or on low pay, the other person can utilise the unused part of the other persons Personal tax credit.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Register on https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/sign_in.html and see what is recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

Thanks for the help

He is paying you a net rate which is not advisable for anyone. If you get extra allocated extra tax credits from you wife when you get married, you will get no benefit and she will get a reduced net wage. If you transfer your tax credits to your wife, she will get a higher net wage, yours will stay the same and you employer might be a bit annoyed as they will have to pay more taxes on your behalf.

Now is the time to agree a gross wage with them. You should be able to see what this should be from you last few payslips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I think you are misreading the information.
    when married you can be jointly assessed. So you could give your wife 1650 in tax credits.
    INDIVIDUAL ASSESSMENT JOINT ASSESSMENT
    your tax credits 3300 1650
    her tax credits 3300 4950
    total tax credits 6600 6600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Thanks for the help

Think the marriage element has already been answered but the nett pay arrangement you are in should cease. Your employer can't be old school anymore. The correct payroll information has to be submitted to Revenue whenever you are paid and nett pay arrangements which were never a good idea are even less so under PAYE modernisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Give all your tax credits to your fiance when you are married. You still get the same net pay and your employer has to pay the increased taxes. And your partner will benefit from the extra tax credits.

Advertisement