Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge increase in the amount of chicken from China for sale in Ireland - Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Toulouse wrote: »
    Indeed I know it exists, that’s the very reason I asked. I obviously hadn’t already decided otherwise I wouldn’t have asked, not sure why that confuses you.

The beef was listed on the menu as 100% Irish, chicken was not. Do you think they would bother to tell us the beef was Irish but not clarify the chickens origin it were indeed Irish? Perhaps their typist was tired.

Considering there were wings on the menu too which generally aren’t free range when I’ve asked in other restaurants, he didn’t specify the dish, just a very short sharp yes. He didn’t want to talk about where their produce comes from unlike other waiters when I’ve asked the same question and they have produce they are proud of.

I was not inclined to believe him.

I'd say restaurant staff jump for joy when they see you coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Bit of a sweeping generalisation, there.

And accurate.

How on earth could you trust chinese chicken suppliers?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And accurate.

You know them all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bit of a sweeping generalisation, there.

Proven though, Brazilian and Chinese food is produced sub par.

It wouldn't meet dog food standards if produced in Europe.

Danzy wrote: »

The OP said the food was labelled as produced in China to EU standards.

So where's your "proof"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Danzy wrote: »

"proven" or not what was said is literally a perfect example of a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And accurate.

Where did I say that I trust any chicken supplier?

Again, your claim of accuracy doesn't negate the fact that what I commented on is a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just checked and the only chicken I buy is from Supervalu and is the portions I feed the cats raw and it is Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

It's funny. I live in Ontario, surrounded by farmland. I bought two chickens last week direct from a small farm. The lady that raised them delivered them to my house.
    They tasted a fair bit different to what you would get in the supermarket. Not necessarily better but probably shows our taste has become accustomed to the mass produced stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's funny. I live in Ontario, surrounded by farmland. I bought two chickens last week direct from a small farm. The lady that raised them delivered them to my house.
    They tasted a fair bit different to what you would get in the supermarket. Not necessarily better but probably shows our taste has become accustomed to the mass produced stuff.

Define "our"? US meat is treated *very* differently to that in the EU, outlier packaged stuff from China, Thailand and Brazil notwithstanding.

As to the OP, I don't buy frozen or processed chicken which I believe is where most of the non-Irish, non-EU stuff ends up. I buy Irish and, whenever possible, free range. I love thighs, though, and have yet to find free range ones outside of a few high-end butchers.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Define "our"? US meat is treated *very* differently to that in the EU, outlier packaged stuff from China, Thailand and Brazil notwithstanding.

As to the OP, I don't buy frozen or processed chicken which I believe is where most of the non-Irish, non-EU stuff ends up. I buy Irish and, whenever possible, free range. I love thighs, though, and have yet to find free range ones outside of a few high-end butchers.

I'm not in the US. Different regulations here around food processing from what I know

I'm not in the US. Different regulations here around food processing from what I know

Yep, had a total brain fart there! Would Canada be closer to Ireland in terms of meat treatment, both before and after slaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Free range chicken thighs are available in Tesco & Dunnes I buy them all the time.

millie35 wrote: »
    Free range chicken thighs are available in Tesco & Dunnes I buy them all the time.

Oh thanks a million! I don't shop in either of those so didn't know, but will definitely swing by and have a look. Are they Irish, do you know? If they are I'll be filling the freezer. My dog eats a lot of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I only buy organic/free ranges from small farms :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Oh thanks a million! I don't shop in either of those so didn't know, but will definitely swing by and have a look. Are they Irish, do you know? If they are I'll be filling the freezer. My dog eats a lot of them too.

Yes they are Irish, they do drumsticks too but I'm not a big fan. I prefer the thighs I use them in curries and debone them for stir fries. My dog is a fan too.

Yep, had a total brain fart there! Would Canada be closer to Ireland in terms of meat treatment, both before and after slaughter?

Yeah, think it is. I know that "pink slime" production is banned here, but is allowed stateside. Also there are definitely huge processing plants but also seems to be smaller butcher operations too. I know a small family business near me here that slaughters, butchers and sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Odelay wrote: »
    See the song and dance restaurants, chippers and deli counters make about only using Irish beef. But not a word about where the other meats come from. If they were using Irish chicken they would be singing from the rafters about it.
    Romayos chipper chain do sing about it, though I suspect not all their chicken products are Irish, they work with Manor farm. I am pretty sure I saw other local chippers saying similar, but again it might only be on the freshly breaded stuff, not frozen goujon type stuff or bog standard chicken burgers.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

China washes it's produce in bleech
    Also the food it feeds to chickens will not be good then it has to be frozen then tased out
    I never buy any food from china

https://euromeatnews.com/Article-China-bans-poultry-imports-from-several-European-countries/3632

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Supermacs advertise fresh, never frozen, 100% Irish chicken too. Tasty and tempting, didn't you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Honest question here, what are the differences in conditions for battery chickens in Ireland and Thailand/China? I've eaten plenty of chicken in Thailand and China and never detected any major difference in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunfyy wrote: »
    China washes it's produce in bleech
    I wash my hands in chlorinated water too, believe it or not I even drink the stuff!! very similar to sodium hypochlorite.
    Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Supermacs advertise fresh, never frozen, 100% Irish chicken too. Tasty and tempting, didn't you know.
    not sure if you are being sarcastic, but like Romayos I doubt they mean all chicken products are Irish.

https://www.supermacs.ie/100-irish-chicken/
    Our new partnership with Love Irish Food exemplifies our commitment to utilizing quality Irish produce whenever possible.

All Supermac’s meat products served at Supermac’s restaurants and Papa John’s pizza outlets are 100% traceable and are Irish farm assured. This includes our fresh chicken, which is sourced exclusively from Irish farms.
    This sounds like clever marketing speak, the fresh chicken is Irish, but what about all the frozen stuff, and what % sold is fresh or frozen?

The "whenever possible" might be another clever clause. I thought Romayos used only Irish potatoes in their chips but heard a recent interview saying they use some UK ones, but I think it is at least mainly Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Have we not had chicken from Vietnam for years? why is this news. China would be a good few grades up from Vietnam at doing stuff.

UK and India post brexit trade deal should see some interesting stuff in the chiller at Centra

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

rubadub wrote: »
    I wash my hands in chlorinated water too, believe it or not I even drink the stuff!! very similar to sodium hypochlorite.

not sure if you are being sarcastic, but like Romayos I doubt they mean all chicken products are Irish.

https://www.supermacs.ie/100-irish-chicken/

This sounds like clever marketing speak, the fresh chicken is Irish, but what about all the frozen stuff, and what % sold is fresh or frozen?

The "whenever possible" might be another clever clause. I thought Romayos used only Irish potatoes in their chips but heard a recent interview saying they use some UK ones, but I think it is at least mainly Irish.

LOL, it did sound smartalecky, but if their chicken is always fresh then I see no way that it could be anything but Irish.

Somewhat spookily, a video popped up for me in YouTube autoplay a couple of days ago, even though I had not been searching for it in any way.

It was a report by a German TV station on the extent to which Chinese food products are silently present in the European supply; processed tomatoes and mushrooms, apple juice, sausage skins from animal intestines and fruit jams, among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Honest question here, what are the differences in conditions for battery chickens in Ireland and Thailand/China? I've eaten plenty of chicken in Thailand and China and never detected any major difference in taste.

There are no battery chickens in Ireland or the EU. There are enriched cages for non free range egg laying birds alright. Chickens raised for meat are kept indoors but not caged.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Growing up there was no choice - Ireland supplied all our food.
    Glad I am Vegan now with all of the uncertainty of food sourcing.

Advertisement