Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Freetrade App in Ireland

• 14-12-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I have recently moved back from the UK, now resident in Ireland as per June 1st. I had used the Freetrade app for some execution only trades to put some money into a Stocks and Shares ISA and some general investments also. Since I have moved home to Ireland I haven't touched the ISA in case I did eventually move back as it would affect its 'tax free' status if I did. However I have been keeping an eye on my shares and topping up/selling as and when.

I plan to disclose any Dividends on my Irish tax return and any CGT due on any profit from sale of shares etc

My question is - am I doing anything wrong by continuing to use the Freetrade app in Ireland using my UK phone number?

Looking to see if anyone else is in a similar situation to me

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I don't have any specific tax advice, but I would recommend having a look at Trading 212 instead of Freetrade.

"Free" Trade actually charge fees to use an ISA, and Trading 212 doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leitirmoir

I don't have any specific tax advice, but I would recommend having a look at Trading 212 instead of Freetrade.

"Free" Trade actually charge fees to use an ISA, and Trading 212 doesn't.

Appreciate the reply Jackie, big fan 😂 apologies if I came across as looking for tax advice. I know of my responsibilities from that perspective.

My question related to whether or not there is any known barrier to using the app since I moved home to Ireland.

Thanks for the recommendation for trading 212 also ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leitirmoir

Thought this would be of interest to a few more on here but evidently not.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Saudades

Leitirmoir wrote: »
    Thought this would be of interest to a few more on here but evidently not.

Might be better to ask in the Freetrade community forum.

The Freetrade app isn't available to Ireland residents so this wouldn't really be of interest to anyone here.

Advertisement