Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walked out of job after 3 months - office administrator

Options
  • 14-12-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I started a new job at the end of August. I was really looking for a change to the first couple of weeks I was just happy to be working somewhere new. However i soon realised after chatting to several colleagues that the work environment was terrible and the workload was excess
    I thought they might only complaining and that id be grand. After only a couple of months I was thrown into the deep end with no support. I was having to stay on 1-2 hours each evening to complete my work.
    I brought this issue up several times without any change. I also had to deal with a quite ignorant colleague who was to train me, instead he cherry picked what things to help me with and would have give me any help in other areas.

Last week I took my manager aside and advised I was struggling and my mental heath was being tested. We talked but things didn't get better.
    This morning I had a run in with my ignorantly colleague again who basically ignored me and I decided I had to walk out for my own head. My manager asked me to reconsider but after a chat with my partner I decided o couldn't go back.

So here I am now, 28 and first time unemployed.
    I'm scared I might of made the wrong decision but I believe I needed to.

I had applied to a few jobs last week and I actually received a call this morning before I left regarding a interview on Wednesday morning so here it hoping this works out.

I hadn't updated my CV to say that I had started this job so do I tell them in the interview that I left a job after 3 months or pretend it never happened?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for going on a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You could leave it out but to me it would be more important to check what the future jobs hold. You don't need to go back to the same type of environment or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

I've been in the same situation and walked, I was unemployed for a few weeks and found no problem getting a job I have always included these few months. You will be fine and will get something else, you made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Hi OP,

I left a job after only a few weeks before. If it came up in interviews I was upfront & honest with the interviewer. I explained that it was quickly apparent to me that the job was not for me so rather than waste their time (and mine) I decided the best thing was to leave.
    Explain all the other places you have worked and this was the first time you had to deal with such an issue.

Life is too short to work in sh*t companies. Best to move on with your life.
    Best of luck in your job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I think you should be very proud of yourself. You put yourself first and recognised that you didn't deserve to be treated the way you were being treated so well done you. A new job will come up & fingers crossed that it will be a healthier work environment, that deserves your dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

Thanks everyone, I have decided to wait until I jump back into a permanent job.
    I have contacted Citizens Advice regarding possibilities of getting welfare.
    They have told me to contact my local welfare office and explain situation I was in and I might be able to get jobseekers before the 9 week timeframe.

I applied for some Temp jobs that and hopefully I can work from home.
    I have a idea for a career in food so I have reached out to some locals about getting work experience.

Definitely don't regret my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

ak4 wrote: »
    They have told me to contact my local welfare office and explain situation I was in and I might be able to get jobseekers before the 9 week timeframe.

I have a idea for a career in food so I have reached out to some locals about getting work experience.

I done something similar in July, I stated that I was unfit menially to work that particular job but not unfit to work. They understood and granted me job seekers straight away.

Thankfully I did find another job and I'm much happier now

I done something similar in July, I stated that I was unfit menially to work that particular job but not unfit to work. They understood and granted me job seekers straight away.

Thankfully I did find another job and I'm much happier now

Fingers crossed I can get that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I started a new job at the end of August. I was really looking for a change to the first couple of weeks I was just happy to be working somewhere new. However i soon realised after chatting to several colleagues that the work environment was terrible and the workload was excess
    I thought they might only complaining and that id be grand. After only a couple of months I was thrown into the deep end with no support. I was having to stay on 1-2 hours each evening to complete my work.
    I brought this issue up several times without any change. I also had to deal with a quite ignorant colleague who was to train me, instead he cherry picked what things to help me with and would have give me any help in other areas.

Last week I took my manager aside and advised I was struggling and my mental heath was being tested. We talked but things didn't get better.
    This morning I had a run in with my ignorantly colleague again who basically ignored me and I decided I had to walk out for my own head. My manager asked me to reconsider but after a chat with my partner I decided o couldn't go back.

I had applied to a few jobs last week and I actually received a call this morning before I left regarding a interview on Wednesday morning so here it hoping this works out.

I hadn't updated my CV to say that I had started this job so do I tell them in the interview that I left a job after 3 months or pretend it never happened?

It was either going to end with you walking out or being fired in later. If they haven’t dealt with the langar teaching by now they prob never would and in the end you’d be hung out. You’re better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless you're in Dublin, your local welfare office know full well who the ****ty employers in town are: you're likely not the first nor the last to have this experience. It's likely they'll be sympathetic.

Thanks everyone for the messages, explained my situation to welfare and managed to get job seekers straight away.
    On the job hunt now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I would avoid lying where possible, it could come back to bite you later on.

Id avoid delving too much into MH issues / conflict though, just think up one or two practical reasons why it wasnt suitable. Ive interviewed plenty of people and personally wouldnt be put off by someone explaining they're aware of the need to be flexible, but the requirement to do significant overtime consistently just to meet basic goals made it difficult for you to continue.

Good luck and try not to worry.

Advertisement