Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acid attack in Dublin takeaway; woman arrested *Mod Warning in OP*

Options
  • 14-12-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-arrested-after-acid-attack-at-takeaway-restaurant-in-dublin-5299339-Dec2020/

Hopefully this doesn't become as commonplace as it did in England. I can't recall any since that poor Chinese lady was attacked - then again we have a tendency to under-report such things.

Mod:

I'm warning you all now, if you try to bring race into this based off the very few details we know at this stage, you will be banned from not only the thread but the forum.

Discuss the topic at hand in a civil manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Horrable thing to do!!

What a scumbag thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Anybody who does this should be give life. It's a horrible thing to do. It's far to easy to buy, woodies had it at one point not sure if they still do. You can get it in other HW type shops to, even by accident buy the wrong variant of a product and it's a strong acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Surprised it isn’t more common .
    Free legal aid solicitors will be able to say you tripped as you were bringing home acid for young Jamie or Chelsea’s science project etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Some serious life lasting injuries with this 'new type' cowardly attack. Quite a few high profile incidents in London over the years with some hefty sentences handed down.

Didn't a couple of young Waterford lads receive horrific facial injuries due to an acid attack? 20 year prison sentences should be mandatory for such attacks here. Won't stop every scumbag but should act as some sort of deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anybody who does this should be give life. It's a horrible thing to do.
    This +1000. Crimes like this can quickly spread like memes and we as a society need to send a very clear message right at the start that it won't be tolerated, which should serve to stamp out the potential copycats.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think thats the 3rd or 4th in recent years and still no legislation has been passed to make it a more severe offence than assault. Despite the fact that it has been a massive problem in the UK and imported from UK gang culture

Attempting to Permanently disfigure somebody is right up there with rape and attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Surprised it isn’t more common .
    Free legal aid solicitors will be able to say you tripped as you were bringing home acid for young Jamie or Chelsea’s science project etc etc

Hmm. Jamie or Chelsea strike me as unlikely names for the offspring of acid attack perps. We are not talking about a dustup in the Horseshoe Bor after too many Heiners and gin and tontons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-arrested-after-acid-attack-at-takeaway-restaurant-in-dublin-5299339-Dec2020/

Hopefully this doesn't become as commonplace as it did in England. I can't recall any since that poor Chinese lady was attacked - then again we have a tendency to under-report such things.

Trust me, if there was an attack of this nature you would have heard ALL about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Quite a few high profile incidents in London over the years with some hefty sentences handed down.
    Yeah, it seemed to come from nowhere and then there was a rake of similar attacks and now it's died down again thankfully. Problem is Ireland's often daft court system and minimal sentencing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I thought such attacks were usually where somebody has a really nasty personal grudge (jilted lover etc). This doesn't seem to fit the bill. It's a really horrible thing to do and I would be concerned if it became a more common form of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

When they say acid what are they actually referring to? Is it a caustic soda or a bleach composite? Scummy scummy thing to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The first time I remember any media reporting of acid attacks was in relation to an attack two English girls, but it didn't happen in the UK, it happened when they living in Zanzibar. There seemed to have been a possible racist element to that attack, but this aspect was played down in the media reportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The first time I remember any media reporting of acid attacks was in relation to an attack two English girls, but it didn't happen in the UK, it happened when they living in Zanzibar. There seemed to have been a possible racist element to that attack, but this aspect was played down in the media reportage.

I completely forgot about this until you mentioned it just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I completely forgot about this until you mentioned it just now.

Remember the young lad down in Waterford who got was attacked also about a year or two ago, football player kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a terrible terrible way to attack someone. Should be life in prison/deportation if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

LuasSimon wrote: »

Hopefully the CCTV from the takeaway premises says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

hynesie08 wrote: »
    When they say acid what are they actually referring to? Is it a caustic soda or a bleach composite? Scummy scummy thing to do.....

No that would be an alkaline attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Hope he returns with the question. "And what do you base that on?"

I think thats the 3rd or 4th in recent years and still no legislation has been passed to make it a more severe offence than assault. Despite the fact that it has been a massive problem in the UK and imported from UK gang culture

Attempting to Permanently disfigure somebody is right up there with rape and attempted murder.

You want a more serious offence than 'causing serious harm' ?
    Which carries a possible life sentence?
    How much more serious can there be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

There needs to be specific legislation for this and it needs to carry a very heavy sentences as it’s a deliberate attempt to disfigure someone and it has life long consequences.

The law is there to make someone think twice before doing something like this as much as it’s there for justice reasons. There needs to be a message that’s clear that if you do something like this you’ll be gone away for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

bubblypop wrote: »
    You want a more serious offence than 'causing serious harm' ?
    Which carries a possible life sentence?
    How much more serious can there be?

All acid attacks need to be prosecuted as assault causing serious harm.

I'd be all for a new offence assault with intent to disfigure and make that mandatory life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any Acid used against another person should be charged as attempted murder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fair enough, what's the solution??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

'Life in prison' is a sentence too lenient anyways.
    Bring some 'Life in Prison' with 'Hard Labour' into the game along with it.
    People think they are being industrious mixing chemicals in order to throw into peoples faces, let them mix some cement and tarmac instead for the rest of their lives instead of sitting in a room watching television.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Current Affairs and will be reopening.

I'm warning you all now, if you try to bring race into this thread based off the very few details we know at this stage, you will be banned from not only the thread but the forum.

Discuss the topic at hand in a civil manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I agree with the majority of posters - very, very harsh sentence for anyone who does this.
    Those lads in Waterford got no justice at all for what they were put through - the perpetrators that did it got a juvenile caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Should be life imprisonment at least for anyone found guilty of this

All acid attacks need to be prosecuted as assault causing serious harm.

I'd be all for a new offence assault with intent to disfigure and make that mandatory life.

We dont need new offence.
    It's covered already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I can think of very few ways to attack someone that are worse than permenantly disfiguring them. I hope the person responsible doesn't see the outside of a jail cell for a long time.

Advertisement