Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Acid attack in Dublin takeaway; woman arrested *Mod Warning in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It is such a horrific, cowardly, limp dick (or indeed limp vagina) thing to do. Truly scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Any idea as to motive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

These attacks are very well thought out. They are unlikely to kill but are likely to cause serious life changing injuries. It is an exceptionally cruel act deliberately chosen for the long term physical and phycological damage it will do to the victim. And because they don't kill and are unlikely to kill they only carry relatively minor sentences if any actual jail time.

It should carry an mandatory life sentence. But instead the justice industry recognises the financial potential of these attackers and will get them off with a year or two and have them back on the streets earning more money for the justice industry. It needs political intervention to take sentencing out of the hands of the lawyers and judges who have a financial interest in keeping such criminals on the streets. The law should dictate a mandatory life sentence for anyone using acid in an attack and 10 years for anyone found carrying acid without a permit signed by a Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

touts wrote: »
    These attacks are very well thought out. They are unlikely to kill but are likely to cause serious life changing injuries. It is an exceptionally cruel act deliberately chosen for the long term physical and phycological damage it will do to the victim. And because they don't kill and are unlikely to kill they only carry relatively minor sentences if any actual jail time.

It should carry an mandatory life sentence. But instead the justice industry recognises the financial potential of these attackers and will get them off with a year or two and have them back on the streets earning more money for the justice industry. It needs political intervention to take sentencing out of the hands of the lawyers and judges who have a financial interest in keeping such criminals on the streets. The law should dictate a mandatory life sentence for anyone using acid in an attack and 10 years for anyone found carrying acid without a permit signed by a Garda.

Yup, exactly. That’s what makes them so horrific. Imagine how rotten the soul is of a person who would plan an attack like this? If I ever realised I was that vindictive, I’d want somebody to drag a sharp implement across my throat and put me out of my misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

****ing freaks of nature. Who does **** like that?

• Advertisement

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/4/enacted/en/html

serious harm” means injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes serious disfigurement or substantial loss or impairment of the mobility of the body as a whole or of the function of any particular bodily member or organ;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Last case of this the lads who did it got off scot free. Surely on the basis of our code of law the cnuts who did this in Tallaght should be let off too? Judges have a lot to answer for as well.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Last case of this the lads who did it got off scot free. Surely on the basis of our code of law the cnuts who did this in Tallaght should be let off too? Judges have a lot to answer for as well.

If it's the case I'm thinking of, of the young lad in the south of the country maybe wexford or waterford ? it went something along the lines of the attackers being better served by the probation act or some utter scutter. What about the poor victim. Justice system would boil your piss in this country at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Maiming someone like this should definitely get a long jail term, absolutely heinous thing to do to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ozmo wrote: »
    I had a look in twitter for any info...

And there are 3 similar attacks in Dublin past 10 days!

Tallaght yesterday
    Finglas last week
    Stillorgan/Blackrock week before that

What?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

What?!

Oops - my bad - all December and Dublin but last years.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

Anyone that would do this in my opinion deserves a bullet into the the back of the head

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Dominic Cobb threadbanned when he comes back from his holiday

Mr.burgess wrote: »
    Anyone that would do this in my opinion deserves a bullet into the the back of the head

Could be onto something there.
    Might be a bit quick though.

Gibbet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What an disgusting & vile thing to do upon these 3 young women. And it all happens with literally just over a week before Christmas. The woman who did this vile attack on these young women deserves a good hiding for what she did to them. The level of physical damage that the woman has committed on her victim's families is now everlasting. At least we all know what to say when an attack like this takes place in Ireland. Anyone, male or female, who carries out these attacks on their innocent victims in this country are vile pieces of human filth. They rightly deserve the public humiliation of being locked up in a prison cell right up until they are dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Need to legistlate so this kind of attack has the same weight as attempted murder. They'd think twice if they were thrown in the joy for that kinda crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

bubblypop wrote: »
    We dont need new offence.
    It's covered already.

We do, but the offence in which is prosecuted is very broad. Narrowing the offence down allows for mandatory sentencing to severely punish the particular behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Need to start by building more prision's, doesn't have to cost a fortune like the children's hospitable disaster just a huge ugly one in the middle of nowhere.
    Were getting to a point where theres more scroat's running around wrecking the place than normal people.

Life in prison is the only just sentence for filth like that attacker.

Hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That is awful.

Sadly assaults and injuries are inflicted every day in every city and often in rural areas too.

Off their heads on this and that with a bit of a grudge too in fairness. Revenge maybe, but I doubt it in this particular case.

• Advertisement

People mentioning Muslims and all that - I thought that 'acid attacks' were something that were associated almost directly with Chinese folk? Especially in the UK? I just don't quite grasp how people are landing at "Muslim" from an acid attack.

It's always worth pointing out that the last time this happened, the attackers got a whole lot of nothing as a punishment. One of the victims was a teenage football player, if i recall correctly, and they ruined his hopes of ever playing properly. I believe they badly damaged his upper back and neck and he cant even play for a laugh anymore, although I'm open to correction on that.

That chap probably still sees those dirtbags on a regular basis. It seems that under the age of 18 you can quite literally do whatever you want, so long as it's not racist or sexual, and you're free to go.

Same as the news at the moment about the chap that was charged over the 17 year old's death in Drogheda. The 17 year old had racked up that many crimes, including attempted murders in the form of elaborate petrol bomb attacks, and yet he never seen the inside of a cell.

I really hope, in this case, the attacker was over 18 and gets nailed to the wall for what he done.

Rape and Murder seem to be the 'big two' crimes. Pretty much the only two crimes you get punished for in Ireland (well, also tax evasion). Acid attacks should be right up there with them. It's not a normal assault and shouldn't be treated like one, by indifferent judges who have no interest in delivering any form of actual justice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People mentioning Muslims and all that - I thought that 'acid attacks' were something that were associated almost directly with Chinese folk? Especially in the UK? I just don't quite grasp how people are landing at "Muslim" from an acid attack.
    Actually if you look at the stats for London Muslims or Indian/Pakistani attackers and victims are the minority. Chinese don't figure much at all. And the perception that women are the vast majority of victims is wrong too.

The suspect was male 74% of the time and victim was male 67% of the time
    Just 6% of suspects were Asian
    Only one so-called ‘honour’ attack was recorded in 15 years
    Four out of five violent offences never reached trial

For the same period (2002-16), 'White Europeans' comprised 32% of suspects, and African Caribbeans 38% of suspects. About one in five suspects remain unknown – either because they can’t be identified, or because the victim has refused to identify them.

The one in five unidentified might show more South Asians/Muslims/Hindus, but even if they were all from that background they'd still be the minority. If there's an acid attack in London the perpetrator and victim are going to be about equally Black or White, much of it gang or robbery related.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Whatever their background, acid attackers are more foreign to me than africans or muslims or what have you

We do, but the offence in which is prosecuted is very broad. Narrowing the offence down allows for mandatory sentencing to severely punish the particular behaviour.

I really don't understand the typical knee jerk reactions for new offences. There are plenty of laws in this country, I already posted a link to the offence.
    The offence allows for punishment of up to life in prison. You don't get more serious than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bubblypop wrote: »
    I really don't understand the typical knee jerk reactions for new offences. There are plenty of laws in this country, I already posted a link to the offence.
    The offence allows for punishment of up to life in prison. You don't get more serious than that.
    Agreed on the new offence thing to a large degree. The problem in Ireland is the sentencing. Even if there were a new specific legislation for acid attacks the chances are high the judiciary would not impose proper sentences. That's the problem.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually if you look at the stats for London Muslims or Indian/Pakistani attackers and victims are the minority. Chinese don't figure much at all. And the perception that women are the vast majority of victims is wrong too.

The suspect was male 74% of the time and victim was male 67% of the time
    Just 6% of suspects were Asian
    Only one so-called ‘honour’ attack was recorded in 15 years
    Four out of five violent offences never reached trial

For the same period (2002-16), 'White Europeans' comprised 32% of suspects, and African Caribbeans 38% of suspects. About one in five suspects remain unknown – either because they can’t be identified, or because the victim has refused to identify them.

The one in five unidentified might show more South Asians/Muslims/Hindus, but even if they were all from that background they'd still be the minority. If there's an acid attack in London the perpetrator and victim are going to be about equally Black or White, much of it gang or robbery related.

Examining these percentages, where 59.8% of the London population is classified as white, and you have 2.3% classified as black (based on the 2011 census), then the proportions seemed skewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

touts wrote: »

The last thing we need in Ireland after the last 50 years is to allow politicians influence the judicial system.
    We have enough issues with political interference already.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Examining these percentages, where 59.8% of the London population is classified as white, and you have 2.3% classified as black (based on the 2011 census), then the proportions seemed skewed.
    Oh the proportions are skewed, just like in knife crimes and that's another subject, but the common enough perception that acid attacks are more likely to be Indian/Pakistani/Muslim/Hindu is not close to being accurate. As the previous link notes: Globally, most attacks occur in South Asia, according to Shah – and this may have contributed to an assumption that London’s Asian diaspora is involved in a majority of UK attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolutely disgusting. I hope the girls affected will be ok. I don't know why acid attacks are not treated as seriously as they are, I remember watching a documentary about Katie Piper, the English model who had acid thrown on her and the amount of operations she has had - and will continue to need - is staggering. It really is leaving someone with a life sentence in many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh the proportions are skewed, just like in knife crimes and that's another subject, but the common enough perception that acid attacks are more likely to be Indian/Pakistani/Muslim/Hindu is not close to being accurate. As the previous link notes: Globally, most attacks occur in South Asia, according to Shah – and this may have contributed to an assumption that London’s Asian diaspora is involved in a majority of UK attacks.

The numbers are probably tracking gang involvement is all. I remember some UK police figure saying that acid attacks are either one on one personal (to disfigure an ex etc) or gang related as a "poor man's gun" solution, when groups want to attack from a distance but have no handguns.

Who would like to attack three girls in a takeaway?

Advertisement