Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance after passing test

• 14-12-2020 7:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

So I bought a car about a week ago now and had only a learners permit at the time so I got the car insured on that basis.

I passed the test this morning so will have a full licence soon. So what happens now? Do I shop around again/ do I have to stick with current insurance until the year is up? Should I get a discount and if so how would this work, I paid in full for the whole year already.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start by ringing your insurer and tell them. They may refund you a bit, or not (if the policy were not taken out with this in mind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So I bought a car about a week ago now and had only a learners permit at the time so I got the car insured on that basis.

I passed the test this morning so will have a full licence soon. So what happens now? Do I shop around again/ do I have to stick with current insurance until the year is up? Should I get a discount and if so how would this work, I paid in full for the whole year already.

Thanks,

They should allow you money back as you have now passed your test. You should bear in mind that if you are within the cooling off period of 14 days so may be able to get a better deal with alternative insurers and cancel the existing policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They should allow you money back as you have now passed your test. You should bear in mind that if you are within the cooling off period of 14 days so may be able to get a better deal with alternative insurers and cancel the existing policy.

And don’t forget to remind them of this when you phone, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But if you can't invoke the cooling off period, do not cancel the current policy because if you cancel a policy in the first year, you will get nowhere near a pro rata refund. They don't all document the refunds for a cancellation but of those that do, it's pretty severe - Aviva will only refund half your premium if you cancel between 2 and 3 months after the start of the policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Thanks all. I only purchased last Saturday to begin cover on Monday the 7th so still within the 14 days no matter which day is the right one. Already been quoted €500 cheaper elsewhere online and will get a few more later and go into the call "armed".

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I only purchased last Saturday to begin cover on Monday the 7th so still within the 14 days no matter which day is the right one. Already been quoted €500 cheaper elsewhere online and will get a few more later and go into the call "armed".

If you want to cancel the policy, note that this only take effect when your current insurer gets the cert and disc back. Keep that in mind in the context of delays in the postal system and closures over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've heard of cases for younger drivers where their insurance goes up when the lads their test. Since you've already got a lower quote elsewhere, cooling off seems to be the way to go.

So my current/soon to be former insurer (AA) has no interest in competing and offered an €11 refund. Fairly pathetic tbh. Itsforwomen.ie came in a full €600 cheaper so I guess I'm a woman for 2021.

Theres a weird period in between however where I will have paid for one (new) insurance and be covered but not have the disc, yet have the disc for insurance I have cancelled.

When the cover is in place, is it still OK to drive if the disk is in the post?

So my current/soon to be former insurer (AA) has no interest in competing and offered an €11 refund. Fairly pathetic tbh. Itsforwomen.ie came in a full €600 cheaper so I guess I'm a woman for 2021.

Theres a weird period in between however where I will have paid for one (new) insurance and be covered but not have the disc, yet have the disc for insurance I have cancelled.

When the cover is in place, is it still OK to drive if the disk is in the post?

Once you have paid for the insurance with the new provider and have proof of purchase then you are good to drive.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I've heard of cases for younger drivers where their insurance goes up when the lads their test. Since you've already got a lower quote elsewhere, cooling off seems to be the way to go.

Insurers charged more for drivers after passing their test than they were charging having a learner permit?

I don't believe you tbh.

Insurers may have some dodgy practices in place but that's just preposterous.

• Advertisement

Insurers charged more for drivers after passing their test than they were charging having a learner permit?

I don't believe you tbh.

It's scummy but I could see some logic to it. There was a kind of moment of reflection after passing, thinking "I've full responsibility now, etc" whereas an hour beforehand I was considered not fit to be on the road. I am more or less the same standard and experience level of driver before and after that test.

It's scummy but I could see some logic to it. There was a kind of moment of reflection after passing, thinking "I've full responsibility now, etc" whereas an hour beforehand I was considered not fit to be on the road. I am more or less the same standard and experience level of driver before and after that test.

There is zero logic to it. I could kind of understand an insurer not offering much of a refund (like AA in your case) as you point out, there is little to no difference in driving experience from one week to another but there is no way an insurer that has a learner driver on cover will charge them an additional premium when they pass their test, no way.

So as it turns out out I'm stuck with my current insurer because: its4women wanted a "letter of cover" from current insurance before proceeding. Current insurer would only provide this by snail mail AFTER having received by snail mail the insurance certificate and disk. Leaving me without any insurance or use of my car in the intervening period. Scummy industry in a stupid fcukin country.

So as it turns out out I'm stuck with my current insurer because: its4women wanted a "letter of cover" from current insurance before proceeding.

That might be no harm. its4women has a terrible reputation, based on many posts in this forum. Apparently they're a total disaster if you want to make even the slightest change to the policy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I don't believe you tbh.

It's common enough over the water and those same insurers will spin anything to suggest increased risk and make a buck.

"Nobody sitting on the driver's shoulder to keep an eye on them and out at all hours of the day and night"

Advertisement