Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air lock in taps?

• 14-12-2020 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with the taps in my apartment at the moment. The pump seemed to be running continuously for an unknown reason so I decided to switch it off at the fuse to reset it. Ever since there's been no water in the bathrooms or the hot tap in the kitchen. The cold water is free flowing in the kitchen though.

I've googled it and it appears that it might be an air lock. Could this be the case?

I've tried doing the suggested covering the tap spout and running the cold mixer with the hot mixer open, but it hasn't helped.

I'm also hearing slow drips of water into the water tank and it sounds as though it's quite empty. Maybe that's why the pump was running continuously in the first place, I'm not sure.

Any ideas on a solution, or is it best to just ring a plumber?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cold water in the kitchen is mains water. Everything else, hot and cold, comes from your water tank. Sounds like the ball cock might need replacing.

Call a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Agree - more likely to be a shortage of water incoming to the pump from the storage tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I decided to give the ballcock a shake and it got the flow into the tank going again. So it's filled itself up overnight, but the pump isn't kicking in now.

If I open the taps there's a small trickle of water coming out. Turning on the cold water tap in the kitchen gets it flowing a little bit quicker.

Could it be an air lock in the pump itself?

Advertisement