Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí warned discounts at takeaways is seen as corruption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

Discounts? My local McDonalds feeds them for free.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

These guidelines/requirements introduced by the new chief commissioner are entirely correct, it is corruption. It might be regarded as a comparatively trivial of corruption by some, but that is the nature of corruption, it always starts with small things. The Garda unions will probably throw a little hissy fit. They (the unions) should be ignored. In fact, though I am generally pro-union, at least in so far as anyone in the workplace should have the right to join one, there is a strong case for making Garda unions illegal. They are, if you pardon the pun, a law onto themselves and certainly too powerful in this little country.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    These guidelines/requirements introduced by the new chief commissioner are entirely correct, it is corruption. It might be regarded as a comparatively trivial of corruption by some, but that is the nature of corruption, it always starts with small things. The Garda unions will probably throw a little hissy fit. They (the unions) should be ignored. In fact, though I am generally pro-union, at least in so far as anyone in the workplace should have the right to join one, there is a strong case for making Garda unions illegal. They are, if you pardon the pun, a law onto themselves and certainly too powerful in this little country.

Gardai don't have unions.

bubblypop wrote: »

They do indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

They are, if you pardon the pun, a law onto themselves and certainly too powerful in this little country.

Gardaí are the pawns of the criminal justice system.

People seem to see police as some kind of international, homogenised brand. This isn't a documentary about NYPD officers in the 70s, seizing coke and then selling it.

I'd wager its quite low, and in fact for minor things, you see guards arresting and prosecuting guards (drink driving, personal cocaine possession etc) which you can read news articles about. Surely if they were such a law unto themselves, this wouldn't be the case?

I presume you have no issue with nurses or fire Brigade getting 50% off Domino's? I don't particularly care whether the guards do or not. People didn't pop out of the womb a guard. Many, especially the young ones, have been anything from accountants to archaeologists before joining.

They'd have the same world view as the general population in Ireland do, specific to their age group . Corruption exists like it does in any walk of life. Where it does exist, its not epic levels you'd see in a Hollywood blockbuster most of the time.

I took home ketchup sachets from a pub I worked in for a few months. That's a form of corruption. Doubt they'd make a film about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Like writing off a few speeding fines for friends, discount or free meals was seen as par for the course for the Gardai. Free entry to nightclubs was another one. From a restaurants perspective they were probably happy for the Gardai to eat there to "keep an eye" on the place and also hopefully get preferential treatment if any incidents occurred. I don't think all Gardai availed of free stuff when offered (I certainly knew one very well who used to refuse any free or discounted meals etc on a point of principle).

It is very positive to see our police force moving in the right direction. A lot done, but an awful lot more to do.

They do indeed.

No they dont.
    They have representative associations, they are only allowed to join one named rep body, it is illegal for them to start another one, or try to join another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Get Real wrote: »
    Gardaí are the pawns of the criminal justice system.

People seem to see police as some kind of international, homogenised brand. This isn't a documentary about NYPD officers in the 70s, seizing coke and then selling it.

I'd wager its quite low, and in fact for minor things, you see guards arresting and prosecuting guards (drink driving, personal cocaine possession etc) which you can read news articles about. Surely if they were such a law unto themselves, this wouldn't be the case?

I presume you have no issue with nurses or fire Brigade getting 50% off Domino's? I don't particularly care whether the guards do or not. People didn't pop out of the womb a guard. Many, especially the young ones, have been anything from accountants to archaeologists before joining.

They'd have the same world view as the general population in Ireland do, specific to their age group . Corruption exists like it does in any walk of life. Where it does exist, its not epic levels you'd see in a Hollywood blockbuster most of the time.

I took home ketchup sachets from a pub I worked in for a few months. That's a form of corruption. Doubt they'd make a film about it.

I do know a Garda who sized fireworks and gave them to his son or set them off himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

GarIT wrote: »
    I do know a Garda who sized fireworks and gave them to his son or set them off himself.

Did he tell you what size they were? Big? Small? Middling size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

No they dont.
    They have representative associations, they are only allowed to join one named rep body, it is illegal for them to start another one, or try to join another.

Stop being so pedantic, they are extremely well represented whether its unions or representative associations. We have all heard of blue flu you know and experienced it. On top of this, they are one of the best paid police forces in the EU and thats before we even start discussing their overtime.

I hope this is the start of a major curb of the serious corruption that exists amongst them in this country.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, long may it last.

And to think, it took an ex loyalist to get us here. Bloody hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What if they offer to pay and they refuse to accept a payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Is getting a happy ending also corruption ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Is getting a happy ending also corruption ?

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Happens in New Zealand.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/gifts-to-new-zealand-police-revealed/

The most popular gifts were alcohol, 38, followed by vouchers, 29. Event tickets, restaurant meals and food also featured highly. Along with golf towels, desk clocks and paperweights, there were some more unusual items across the country.

These included two bags of horse feed from the Lake Hayes A&P Show committee, five massage vouchers for stressed-out police staff in Wellington, 20 free tickets from Weber Bros Circus, a Chinese New Year kit and a "bag of biscuits" from an Auckland individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

How do you sleep at night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Many public servants are offered or given presents anonymously at times like Christmas or because of a job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They do indeed.

They don’t. They have a representative body. It is not a union so therefore you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

He tries to ketchup on lost sleep every few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Happens in New Zealand.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/gifts-to-new-zealand-police-revealed/

The most popular gifts were alcohol, 38, followed by vouchers, 29. Event tickets, restaurant meals and food also featured highly. Along with golf towels, desk clocks and paperweights, there were some more unusual items across the country.

These included two bags of horse feed from the Lake Hayes A&P Show committee, five massage vouchers for stressed-out police staff in Wellington, 20 free tickets from Weber Bros Circus, a Chinese New Year kit and a "bag of biscuits" from an Auckland individual.
    I used to run a pub in Sydney with a heap of regular cops and we used to ply them with free booze then try and extract info out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No more free entry to Coppers, if it ever reopens.

• Advertisement

They do indeed.

Lol...no Garda unions indeed....and now their own president is finding it necessary to publicly whistleblow regarding the militancy of some of the membership.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gra-president-reports-concerns-over-militancy-of-organisation-to-minister-1.4447051?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fgra-president-reports-concerns-over-militancy-of-organisation-to-minister-1.4447051

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

A lot of them should stay out of the takeaways anyway. When I come back to Ireland I'm always shocked at how fat and unfit looking so many of the Gardaí look. Almost bursting out of their uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gardai get paid by the citizens of this country, to work for them.

That should be enough...

If you want to be a Garda, but you don’t think the pay is enough, go find an alternative career.

You shouldn’t be taking gratuities, it’s not ethical it’s not fair.

A pub in my area which has a station about 1.5 km’s to the north and one 2kms to the south of it... the pub put on an annual shindig each year for the Gardai, in the nightclub... meal, a few drinks vouchers and a DJ... all free gratis... they use kegs that are gifted by the brewery to be given out to the regulars as Xmas drinks but are instead used to give to the Guards... it keeps them sweet, onside. If there is trouble, Gardai are there in a heartbeat, if there is a ‘late night’ one thursday ie. a lock in to mark an occasion, no bother, Gardai give a hall pass.... if they themselves are celebrating a retirement or whatever, they only need lift the phone. They book a room and happy days...

Another pub down the road, a well ran, quiet, nice , no trouble establishment, get the odd visit at 11.50, checking if people are still drinking on the premises... they of course don’t grease Garda wheels. The other place wouldn’t have called last orders as well they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

So should the Residents Association give the Community Garda a box of biscuits at Christmas as a gesture of appreciation or is that corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Edgware wrote: »
    So should the Residents Association give the Community Garda a box of biscuits at Christmas as a gesture of appreciation or is that corruption?

Nahhhh... Hardly corruption. What you could do is make a donation to a charity, the ISPCC on their behalf, send in the card to their superintendent thanking the Garda, and acknowledging their work, they get recognition and credit .....good gesture of thanks and acknowledgement yet no gifts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

He needs to look up the definition of corruption, stealing from work isn't corruption ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Strumms wrote: »

That should be enough...

If you want to be a Garda, but you don’t think the pay is enough, go find an alternative career.

They can accept some things, once they comply with the rules. Same for the polices forces in lots of other countries. Of course they can never ask for anything, but in the real world there are going to be offers.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/spa-media/25oj4k05/gifts-gratuities-hospitality-and-sponsorship-sop.pdf

Local guards would get anything on the menu for a nominal fee from the local hotel. A blind eye was turned to the fact that the hotel never applied for a late licence for the niteclub. Hotel saved tens of thousands per year.

Not saying it was terrible or anything as places should be allowed open 24/7 if they want in my book but as the system stands it was definitely corruption.

The OP says his folks had a place in Galway back in the 70's where the guards just got up and walked without paying, there's a difference between that and giving a discount to emergency service workers. But if I thought it was going to be a problem for my business, the only thing I'd ever hand them over is a plate of slops and leftovers. The 70's guards I mean, not the lads driving the ambulances.

Two friends of mine ran a nightclub for about 15 years, late 80's to early 00's. Inevitably there was always one drunken prikc of a guard (and by "one" I mean "a different one every week") would turn up with his pals in tow flashing the ID badge saying he was on duty, gardai investigation, etc.

It was absolute nonsense of course and everyone knew it. But what could they do? Asking a drunk guard and his equally drunk mates to pay for a ticket in them days was a bit like asking Tony Soprano to pay for one. Your business would be shut in a week and all your staff on the dole because of some made up story about over crowding, under age drinking, noise, fire hazard, fights, open drug dealing, take your pick.

• Advertisement

I used to run a pub in Sydney with a heap of regular cops and we used to ply them with free booze then try and extract info out of them.

? Do you work for the mafia or something, what would the point of this be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of them should stay out of the takeaways anyway. When I come back to Ireland I'm always shocked at how fat and unfit looking so many of the Gardaí look. Almost bursting out of their uniform.

They get them baggy so they can grow into them.

Mimon wrote: »
    ? Do you work for the mafia or something, what would the point of this be?

Who doesn't like a bit of gossip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This topic came up a few months ago on boards, in another thread. I was lambasted and accused of 'having a problem with guards' and 'being jealous' when I said that I thought guards taking freebies from businesses was unethical & should not happen.

Glad to see the commissioner of police agrees with me.

There is only one reason why these freebies are given.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Glad to see the commissioner of police agrees with me.

The commissioner of police appears to be sorting out corruption for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

There will always be bent gardai,just like there are bent ordinary citizens. We hold them to a higher standard than the ordinary citizen, though, which is why we expect them to follow the rules they are taught about in Templemore. But, gardai get very cynical about the ordinary citizen very quickly, which is why some of them take the piss.

• Advertisement

Stop being so pedantic, they are extremely well represented whether its unions or representative associations. We have all heard of blue flu you know and experienced it. On top of this, they are one of the best paid police forces in the EU and thats before we even start discussing their overtime.

I hope this is the start of a major curb of the serious corruption that exists amongst them in this country.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, long may it last.

And to think, it took an ex loyalist to get us here. Bloody hell

Its not pendantic, they do not have a union. They do not have the right to industrial action. They do not have the right to strike. Garda union is already illegal

And Gardai are not one of the best paid in the EU. They are in fact below most western nations having regard to income V cost of living. Our nearest neighbours earn more such as PSNI, London MET, French Gendarmes.

Spanish guardia Civil earn less but get free accomodation and bills. No mortgage or running costs.

Italy? Same as Spain.

Germans? Earn more.

So please, do continue. I mean not a single thing you said was accurate but dont let that stop you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have to tell my employer about any gifts, gratuities etc i receive and if i dont it's grounds for dismissal and actually in a lot of casrs i am forbidden from accepting anything. Perhaps the gardai could do the same?

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is only one reason why these freebies are given.

Gratitude?

I mean medical staff are currently free in my local cinema. Is that only so the cinema has on tap medical assistance? Is it corrupt by a doctor?

I have to tell my employer about any gifts, gratuities etc i receive and if i dont it's grounds for dismissal and actually in a lot of casrs i am forbidden from accepting anything. Perhaps the gardai could do the same?

They do, monthly.

They already have to declare donations. A free coffee from someone you know or is grateful for something you did in the past being called corrupt is ridiculous

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

That should be enough...

A pub in my area which has a station about 1.5 km’s to the north and one 2kms to the south of it... the pub put on an annual shindig each year for the Gardai, in the nightclub... meal, a few drinks vouchers and a DJ... all free gratis... they use kegs that are gifted by the brewery to be given out to the regulars as Xmas drinks but are instead used to give to the Guards... it keeps them sweet, onside. If there is trouble, Gardai are there in a heartbeat, if there is a ‘late night’ one thursday ie. a lock in to mark an occasion, no bother, Gardai give a hall pass.... if they themselves are celebrating a retirement or whatever, they only need lift the phone. They book a room and happy days...

Another pub down the road, a well ran, quiet, nice , no trouble establishment, get the odd visit at 11.50, checking if people are still drinking on the premises... they of course don’t grease Garda wheels. The other place wouldn’t have called last orders as well they know.

As has been pointed out before, we all pay each other. i pay your wages when I use your companies services.

Im genuinely baffled why the clean pub getting 'the odd visit' is being mentioned as if its some sort of oppressive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And would you say that you had more or less influence then a Garda whilst working as a lounge girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gratitude?

I mean medical staff are currently free in my local cinema. Is that only so the cinema has on tap medical assistance? Is it corrupt by a doctor?
    It's not quite the same. Gardai have pretty extensive powers which puts them in a different bracket to other public servants. Customs officers and revenue staff should perhaps also not be taking gifts.

Who doesn't like a bit of gossip?

Giving them free drink for gossip though?

It's not quite the same. Gardai have pretty extensive powers which puts them in a different bracket to other public servants. Customs officers and revenue staff should perhaps also not be taking gifts.

Nail on the head here.

Its not pendantic, they do not have a union. They do not have the right to industrial action. They do not have the right to strike. Garda union is already illegal.

Yes, it clearly is pedantic. Blue flu and the stunt they pulled only a few years' ago when they refused to do traffic patrols were strikes in all but name. The GRA has more power than most unions. Good that the likes of Drew Harris is standing up to them and even their own president is whistleblowing.

Yes, it clearly is pedantic. Blue flu and the stunt they pulled only a few years' ago when they refused to do traffic patrols were strikes in all but name. The GRA has more power than most unions. Good that the likes of Drew Harris is standing up to them and even their own president is whistleblowing.

Blue flu was in 1998.
    How exactly is Drew Harris standing up to the GRA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

When John Stalker was investigating the shoot to kills in the North someone higher up thought he was getting too near the truth. So they opened an investigation into corrupt activities by him.
    Apparently they found that he received gifts from Manchester City F.C. On a matchday while on duty he received tea and a sausage roll free of charge while discussing crowd control plans with the Chief Steward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Good Gardai should be treated no different to any other normal joe soap

GT89 wrote: »
    Good Gardai should be treated no different to any other normal joe soap

Like the postman, or binman, or ambulance driver etc etc....
    All of whom are sometimes given a little token of appreciation, very insulting to throw it back in someone's face!

• Advertisement
Advertisement