Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxing a van.

• 15-12-2020 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, can I get commercial tax on a van by working on a farm? I am not the farm owner but I'm going through the books as a labourer. The commercial tax is €333 and private is double that.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Kpjl88 wrote: »
    Hi, can I get commercial tax on a van by working on a farm? I am not the farm owner but I'm going through the books as a labourer. The commercial tax is €333 and private is double that.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Technically no, but it varies from county to county. AFAIK you need a herd/flock number to get it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

There is a section on the 'Goods only Declaration' form (RF111A) for your Income Tax Registration Number (TRN). Some people fill in there VAT number in that section, or their herd number, or your PPS number as it would be the same as your TRN for sole traders.

As long as you can fill out that form, get it signed and stamped in the Garda station, you should have no bother. Just present this form in the motor tax office, along with the standard Motor Tax renewal form (RF100A)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

It seems to be different in every county. When I was taking out the insurance policy I got them to state I was a farmer (even though I'm in a similar situation to you)which did the trick for me in the tax office. I didn't have to get it signed by the Guards due to Covid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As a farm labourer it different to racing as a farmer. Technically you need to be getting a wage from the farm. Then the farm owner can make a declaration that you need a van for you line of work to revenue. Trades people use this method when employed directly but not
    being a subcontractorr

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »
    Technically no, but it varies from county to county. AFAIK you need a herd/flock number to get it.

My neighbour kept 20 hens , got a poultry registration number and got commercial tax on his van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

yes . I often do letters for clients so their staff can tax commercial vans for work purposes. I say it has worked no problem in at least 18/20 counties

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kpjl88

wrangler wrote: »
    My neighbour kept 20 hens , got a poultry registration number and got commercial tax on his van

I have a few ducks at the house and just registered for a flock number. Thanks

Depending on which county you are in you may be disappointed. A few counties along with flock or herd number insist on sole trader accounts a d tax clearance as well as commercial insurance

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
    If you get a letter from your employer stating it's needed for work that might do depending on which County you're in. It's a shambles of a system. I'm in Limerick and gave up trying and just bought a 1.6 and taxed it privately in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

jimbooth wrote: »
    If you get a letter from your employer stating it's needed for work that might do depending on which County you're in. It's a shambles of a system. I'm in Limerick and gave up trying and just bought a 1.6 and taxed it privately in the end.

How much is private tax on a 1.6 van likes of a berlingo or that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

huntsman77 wrote: »
    How much is private tax on a 1.6 van likes of a berlingo or that .

It's on the old cc rate if you tax a commercial vehicle privately.

Have you compared the difference between commercial insurance and private insurance? You can get plenty of estate cars with motor tax of less than €300, where you won't have to lie on a statutory declaration, and insurance will be cheaper.

Ah sound be prob over 500 euro so. Compared to 333

huntsman77 wrote: »
    Ah sound be prob over 500 euro so. Compared to 333

TBH you would want to be taxing a largish jeep to make the hassle of commercial tax worth it. You have much more choice in cars and small jeeps compared to commercial vehicles. As well CVRT is about 50 euro more expensive than an NCT. The retest is about twice the price as well. There is a lad I know and he is of the opinion that the CVRT is slightly harder to pass as well even though I would think they are virtually similar. It harder to get a clean van Thana clean car.

Finally on insurance you tend to have more choice on car insurance. When I had commercial insurance with Zurich I could not get driving of other cars although open driving was easier to get commercial.

Slava Ukrainii

Yea that's all good points alright. I had commercial vehicles for bout 15 year then 5 year ago I went to private car cause of having kids with me lot of time. But I practically had to start out of new with no claims bonus only axa would take in to account that I had full no claims on commercial policy so was very limited pricing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just go to the Motor Tax section of your local authority website.

There you will find a list of the documentation they require for first taxing of a commercial.

If you can provide what they want there will be no problem.

In future years renewals can be done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

elperello wrote: »
    Just go to the Motor Tax section of your local authority website.

There you will find a list of the documentation they require for first taxing of a commercial.

If you can provide what they want there will be no problem.

In future years renewals can be done online.

i rang the motor tax office and in fairness they were helpful. from memory i had to give

reg book
    insurance cert
    proof of herd number
    a short note on what work i was doing
    tax cert

they returned everything inside 2 days all done

i have heard different stories about different counties where rules appear to be applied differently... if true it really questions why we can't have one national motor tax dept if only for consistency as the vehicles will move between most counties

Bellview wrote: »
    i rang the motor tax office and in fairness they were helpful. from memory i had to give

reg book
    insurance cert
    proof of herd number
    tax cert

i have heard different stories about different counties where rules appear to be applied differently... if true it really questions why we can't have one national motor tax dept if only for consistency as the vehicles will move between most counties

Yes that's the way it works.

Vital to check your own local authority. No use turning up with the docs. some guy on Boards said was ok :)

Once you have the documentation they have decided to ask for it will go smoothly.

It is a strange thing to have different requirements from county to county but that's how it is.

Bellview wrote: »

reg book
    insurance cert
    proof of herd number
    tax cert

That's to apply for commercial tax it doesn't mean that they will issue it.

Some counties ignore the law others enforce it. If there is going to be a national one then there will be a lot less people getting commercial tax.

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's to apply for commercial tax it doesn't mean that they will issue it.

Some counties ignore the law others enforce it. If there is going to be a national one then there will be a lot less people getting commercial tax.

Whatever system is used it should ensure that everyone who is entitled to commercial tax gets it.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Whatever system is used it should ensure that everyone who is entitled to commercial tax gets it.

If you meet the requirements for commercial tax you will get it. The issue is that very few people do, how many people use their commercial vehicle for private use? Once it isn't 100% commercially used it's supposed to be taxed privately.

If you meet the requirements for commercial tax you will get it. The issue is that very few people do, how many people use their commercial vehicle for private use? Once it isn't 100% commercially used it's supposed to be taxed privately.

Correct, once you produce the correct paperwork you have satisfied the administrative requirement.

What you use the van for is an enforcement matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've never understood why commercial tax is supposed to rigidly apply to 100% commercial use only situations. I use my vehicle for the means of carrying out my business and therefore quality for commercial tax on that basis. My understanding of the law being that I'm supposed to run another private vehicle for my own personal use outside of business use? Surely this is idiotic, unsustainable and bad for the environment?

I can't understand why there can't be a derogation where once you have displayed an actual need (not a lifestyle want) for a commercial vehicle that you can tax it as such and carry out your everyday business as everyone does at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Is the form rf100a and all the backup proof only needed on renewing tax on a van. If i buy a commercial van and it already has a renewed tax disc for 1 year, will that keep the motor tax office (offaly who are strict) from asking or preventing me registering the 2nd hand commercial vehicle in my name...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

You will be fine until the disc expires but then you will need to show genuine commercial. You can own anything and be registered the owner of it but to get it taxed commercially need to show that you are sole trading etc, A neighbour has a commercial ie van version of a car and it is low emmission etc. The commercial tax is more expensive for it than ordinary tax!!

You can transfer ownership on purchase but the first time you tax you have to do it through the local authority motor tax office.

I have pasted an earlier post I made on this thread. It explains the process.

Advertisement