Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long for driving licence to arrive?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sammett wrote: »
    Hi. I passed the drving test yesterday. Do I need to send IRP and passport? It says They need the originals, not copies. I am a bit afraid if they got lost in the post.

You'd be quicker setting up a mygov account. No need to attend Social Welfare office etc either, they will verify over the phone assuming you have PSC (Which would have been needed to sit your theory test).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

It seems odd that some people are saying 3 weeks and others are getting them within a few days.

I’m guessing there could be either a difference based on how you apply (NDLS office vs online) or the area. Or else just luck of the draw.

I applied a week ago in the office, so still fairly early yet, but 3-4 weeks would be quite a wait. Does anyone know if you should see the licence image appear on your MyRoadSafety account in “my licences” before it’s been posted out? Mine says “no licences” for me the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 luasaigh

Here's my experience:

Dec 11th:I submitted what NDLS have repeatedly confirmed to me was a perfect online application for renewal of full drivers licence.

Late December: Called 'em, about a 1 hour wait. Said they would get going on it.

Early Jan: I think I called again -not sure

Jan 12th: received letter saying they had made a mistake in the licence they sent me and that I should send it back.

Jan 12th: I emailed the email address they provided with the reference they provided explaining that I had not received the licence at all, asking that my correct licence be delivered to me without delay since my licence had by then expired on some classes.

Jan 13th: Licence arrived. I posted it back at my cost, and emailed them a photo of the letter entering the postbox, displaying the address in the photo.

Jan 25th: With no email ever being responded to other than automatically saying somebody would be in contact soon, I phoned again. Another long wait. The fellow that answered said that he'd get onto the folks that deal with this kind of thing and either he or they would contact me regarding the outcome. I was never contacted.

Jan 29th: Phoned them again. Another very long wait. The lady that answered explained that my licence never arrived and they would not issue me a new one until it did (I had sent it on the 13th!). She suggested that I sign something in a Garda station that it was "lost in the post" and use that form to apply for a replacement. I explained that considering all of the failings of NDLS so far, and my experience of never in my life having something lost in the post, by far the most probable thing to have happened is that NDLS made another mistake and it is not lost in the post and so I would be making a false statement if I made a statement to the Gardai that it is lost in the post. I got the very very strong impression that she agreed with me, but she said that was my only option. I pressed harder asking was there nobody she could escalate this to - that surely this isn't the kind of thing that one has to go to one's TD about. So she left and came back after a long time and told me that I would be sent my correct licence. I asked by when I would receive a correspondence to inform me of progress in this regard. She said that I would be contacted on Monday (Feb 1st). I asked if she could note that if they could not reach me by phone (I have to work, and sometimes am not in coverage), would they please email me.

Feb 3rd: No contact yet, and no licence yet. Approaching TWO MONTHS NOW.

And here's the craziest thing: I still have my pre-renewal licence as one does not need to submit that when applying online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^So im wasting my time with the 2 emails i sent them in last month with no reply about receiving my new licence with surname spelt wrong^.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    ^So im wasting my time with the 2 emails i sent them in last month with no reply about receiving my new licence with surname spelt wrong^.

Well, the letter I received gave me an email address to send an email to, and told me to quote a certain reference number - which I did in the email subject line. And in fairness, in all of the emails where I did that, I received a very prompt reply thanking me for my correspondence, and informing me that an agent would deal with my query at the earliest opportunity (which apparently never arises).

I'd consider therapy. Try not to get upset about it - that's what I tell myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Went into NDLS center late November and renewed my license.

Still haven't got it.

To try check what's going on I went on the site and try change details and it says I can't because my license is being processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just mentioned this and now got a reply today, answer: just put it in a envelope and post it back, seems simple enough.

just mentioned this and now got a reply today, answer: just put it in a envelope and post it back, seems simple enough.

Send it registered, not like me in an ordinary letter. Consider courier! Need proof of delivery

luasaigh wrote: »
    Here's my experience:

Dec 11th:I submitted what NDLS have repeatedly confirmed to me was a perfect online application for renewal of full drivers licence.

Late December: Called 'em, about a 1 hour wait. Said they would get going on it.

Early Jan: I think I called again -not sure

Jan 12th: received letter saying they had made a mistake in the licence they sent me and that I should send it back.

Jan 12th: I emailed the email address they provided with the reference they provided explaining that I had not received the licence at all, asking that my correct licence be delivered to me without delay since my licence had by then expired on some classes.

Jan 13th: Licence arrived. I posted it back at my cost, and emailed them a photo of the letter entering the postbox, displaying the address in the photo.

Jan 25th: With no email ever being responded to other than automatically saying somebody would be in contact soon, I phoned again. Another long wait. The fellow that answered said that he'd get onto the folks that deal with this kind of thing and either he or they would contact me regarding the outcome. I was never contacted.

Jan 29th: Phoned them again. Another very long wait. The lady that answered explained that my licence never arrived and they would not issue me a new one until it did (I had sent it on the 13th!). She suggested that I sign something in a Garda station that it was "lost in the post" and use that form to apply for a replacement. I explained that considering all of the failings of NDLS so far, and my experience of never in my life having something lost in the post, by far the most probable thing to have happened is that NDLS made another mistake and it is not lost in the post and so I would be making a false statement if I made a statement to the Gardai that it is lost in the post. I got the very very strong impression that she agreed with me, but she said that was my only option. I pressed harder asking was there nobody she could escalate this to - that surely this isn't the kind of thing that one has to go to one's TD about. So she left and came back after a long time and told me that I would be sent my correct licence. I asked by when I would receive a correspondence to inform me of progress in this regard. She said that I would be contacted on Monday (Feb 1st). I asked if she could note that if they could not reach me by phone (I have to work, and sometimes am not in coverage), would they please email me.

Feb 3rd: No contact yet, and no licence yet. Approaching TWO MONTHS NOW.

And here's the craziest thing: I still have my pre-renewal licence as one does not need to submit that when applying online.

Feb 5th. Called them again. Usual long wait. But this time they told me that they had actually "issued" my licence on Feb 2nd and that I should have it already. I don't, so the person said it would arrive early next week.

I look forward to receiving it with cautious optimism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement