Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting rooms to students - rent for holiday periods

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Simply tell them they need to remove all their belongings from the house for the weeks they're not paying rent, and you're renting out the rooms to someone else for the month.

All well and good but who is going to be looking for a room for 2 to 3 weeks from late December to early January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Unless there was specific arrangements, which it doesn't appear there was, then I would expect them to pay rent over the period they are on holidays.

The issue they are paying before market rate is of course on you which I think you realise. In the future it's worth checking Daft and/or MyHome to see the going rate.

Some think there isn't much demand for rental accommodation it depends I guess on where you are. I'm seeing very strong demand in Limerick which traditionally is relatively weak to the other major urban areas. This is mainly down to some large companies in the area going on big hiring sprees.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hannaho wrote: »
    Now the two students are going home for 4 weeks, and say they don't see why they should have to pay rent, but we were very clear at the start about holiday periods etc up until the end of the academic year. What can we do in this situation?
    Let them know that they go home with all their stuff, and you'll rent the rooms to other students in January. Or they can pay the rent for the 4 weeks to keep their spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

And I pointed out that in my experience 2 weeks off at Christmas is normal. Anyway it’s between you and them or more likely their parents.

I never had or heard of this in 20 years of renting even as a student. They pay or they out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Out. Now. This is just the start of it. If you give them an inch on this they will do as they please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have had kids in college continuously for the last 20 years (2 years left and then I wallow in money......)
    In all that time i paid for holidays, even the Summer as most contracts were 12 months. I had 2 kids at home during lockdown March-Sept and still paid rent.
    You gave the conditions beforehand. They have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I have had kids in college continuously for the last 20 years (2 years left and then I wallow in money......)
    In all that time i paid for holidays, even the Summer as most contracts were 12 months. I had 2 kids at home during lockdown March-Sept and still paid rent.
    You gave the conditions beforehand. They have to pay.

More fool you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Never heard of a rent holiday. I’d say they can leave and you will rent the room out. If it’s free when they are coming back. If not that’s their problem

More fool you.

More ignorant you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

More ignorant you.

I wouldn’t be ignorant enough to pay for rented accommodation, no one would be using, during a lockdown, in a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

zerosuragbuzz / KathleenGrant, please keep it civil if you wish to continue posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I wouldn’t be ignorant enough to pay for rented accommodation, no one would be using, during a lockdown, in a pandemic.

If you have a contract then you should stick to it's terms. That goes for landlords and tenants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What was the contract agreed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I doubt the ymyoung students are looking to screw them over
    They just want to move back in again I. January and lay the weekly rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t think understanding the terms of your lease could be considered ignorance, perhaps not understanding them might though. What it would come down to is what the terms of your tenancy are, and whether you want to retain it. The risk the op has to consider is whether the students will give up theirs if they are charged, but what the students will have to consider is that they will have to find new digs in January at a higher rent.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

zerosuragbuzz / KathleenGrant, please keep it civil if you wish to continue posting.

I apologise but being called a fool for sticking by the terms of a legal agreement is a bit much. It's not that I found it easy, in fact I struggle quite a bit financially. But an agreement is an agreement. Being called a fool for not trying to weasel out of one is annoying . I apologise again however and won't engage like this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think a lot of people give time off for Christmas, 2 weeks would be pretty standard. Why not compromise and offer that.

If the lads get lucky and score in coppers. Do they get a discount as they didn’t stay in the house ?

Op , tell them to pay the rent or find somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Tenants typically don't dictate rent T&Cs.
    They agreed to this prior to moving in.
    You're not running a B&B.

Advertisement