Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart stick - plug issue

• 15-12-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this.

Basically I am looking for a internet stick to make my TV smart, Disney, youtube netflix for the kids etc

I bought the Amazon Firestick but didn't realise you have to plug it in as well as put it into HDMI, I thought it just goes into the TV and works

My issue is the TV is on the wall and I only have one plug (used by the TV, the sky box is in another area plugged in) so I dont want an extension to the next plug or have to put an extension lead or adaptor behind the TV.

is there any smart sticks out there and you just put into the TV? no plug needed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Does your tv have a USB slot? You can plug the Firestick into that instead of the wall. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

fitzparker wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this.

Basically I am looking for a internet stick to make my TV smart, Disney, youtube netflix for the kids etc

I bought the Amazon Firestick but didn't realise you have to plug it in as well as put it into HDMI, I thought it just goes into the TV and works

My issue is the TV is on the wall and I only have one plug (used by the TV, the sky box is in another area plugged in) so I dont want an extension to the next plug or have to put an extension lead or adaptor behind the TV.

is there any smart sticks out there and you just put into the TV? no plug needed?

i can plug mine directly into the TV as it has a 5A USB socket. Check first to make sure that your TV doesnt have a high powered USB socket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of the devices that plug into the HDMI port will need a power source as well but often the USB slots in either the TV or Sky box will give enough power to power the device so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Thanks All, I read up on doing this as an option (using usb in tv or Vodafone box (sorry im with VF not Sky if the box power spec makes any difference)

would there be enough voltage or power in either (both TV and box have a USB port)

Is there a possibility to damage the TV because of it? or is that just internet talk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks All, I read up on doing this as an option (using usb in tv or Vodafone box (sorry im with VF not Sky if the box power spec makes any difference)

would there be enough voltage or power in either (both TV and box have a USB port)

Is there a possibility to damage the TV because of it? or is that just internet talk

Anytime you plug something in there is a risk of damage but I would say there is less risk of damaging anything from plugging it into the TV than there would be using a cheap adapter/cable. I have a Chromcast TV and tried plugging it into the TV, there wasn't enough power but the device seems to have a built in protection against it. If you are really stuck for sockets and a double adapter isn't an option would it be possible to swop out the power socket you have with 1 with USB sockets in it also? the panel itself would be the same size, you'll have 2 power sockets and 2 USB sockets, they are simple to install as well, up there with changing a plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

They are all 5V so voltage is not an issue.
    The USB ports often have the max Amps written beside them for example 2.5A or 5A. Your plug that came with your media stick will have the Amps it puts out written on it too. So if the port on your TV or Set top box is the same or higher than your plug then you'll be absoulutly fine.

Clareman wrote: »
    Anytime you plug something in there is a risk of damage but I would say there is less risk of damaging anything from plugging it into the TV than there would be using a cheap adapter/cable. I have a Chromcast TV and tried plugging it into the TV, there wasn't enough power but the device seems to have a built in protection against it. If you are really stuck for sockets and a double adapter isn't an option would it be possible to swop out the power socket you have with 1 with USB sockets in it also? the panel itself would be the same size, you'll have 2 power sockets and 2 USB sockets, they are simple to install as well, up there with changing a plug.

Good shout actually, this could be an option

emaherx wrote: »
    They are all 5V so voltage is not an issue.
    The USB ports often have the max Amps written beside them for example 2.5A or 5A. Your plug that came with your media stick will have the Amps it puts out written on it too. So if the port on your TV or Set top box is the same or higher than your plug then you'll be absoulutly fine.

The USB port in the TV advises 5v, Max 500ma (does this mean anything)

I brought the Amazon firestick back thinking it doesnt work, so I might check the internet to see if I can find what the max is for the firestick before buying again

The USB port in the TV advises 5v, Max 500ma (does this mean anything)

I brought the Amazon firestick back thinking it doesnt work, so I might check the internet to see if I can find what the max is for the firestick before buying again

https://www.aftvnews.com/why-you-should-never-power-a-fire-tv-stick-from-your-tvs-usb-port/

Probably just scaremongering

Advertisement