Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly Rent Practice

Options
  • 15-12-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I was speaking to a landlord recently and she told me that rent agreed if payment mode monthly would be a set amount i.e. €400 a month would be common practice / the norm...no matter how many weeks in the month.

Is this true or is this at the discretion of the landlord? When I was a student years back and was renting student accommodation...I always had to pay the extra week for months with 5 weeks.

I have been renting a room for the past 2 years and prefer to pay monthly and for months with 5 weeks I pay 5 weeks rent. I recently decided to rent the entire house from the landlord so this would be a good time to know for sure lol I noticed there is 5 months next year that have 5 weeks.

Probably easier just paying weekly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Charging rent every 4 weeks rather than per calendar month used to be a sneaky way for landlords to increase the rent by ~6%.

Paying per calendar month is almost universal practice.

Nothing illegal about 4-weekly rent as long as it's agreed up front, just be careful you know how much you're really paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you are paying Monthly then its per calendar month.
    If you are paying every 4 weeks then that is not Monthly so you will be paying more frequently over the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Normally per calender month is good. No variations to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi guys thanks for the helpful replies. So my rent is €140 weekly so per calendar month it would be €560. For example I could be paying landlord on the 20th of every month.

I'm gonna ask for a lease agreement so it's clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for the helpful replies. So my rent is €140 weekly so per calendar month it would be €560. For example I could be paying landlord on the 20th of every month.

If your rent is €140 weekly, it would be about €607 per calendar month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If you've agreed a weekly rate and pay monthly I would expect 12 monthly payments of €607, but if you pay every 4 weeks then I'd expect 13 payments of €560, both come to €7,280 a year (if you ignore the rounding).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There are no 5 week months only 4, 4.28 and 4.42 week months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

GarIT wrote: »
    There are no 5 week months only 4, 4.28 and 4.42 week months.

But there can be five rent paydays in month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Dav010 wrote: »
    But there can be five rent paydays in month.

If you're paying weekly sure. But if I was paying monthly I wouldn't be willing to pay any extra because a month has 5 Mondays. Which it seems like is the situation in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I would have thought the weekly student fee is to allow for terms. The landlord would charge September to end of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As mentioned, you're calculating incorrectly.

140 * 52 = 7280 which is your annual rent. This divided by 12 months is €606 and change

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

GarIT wrote: »
    If you're paying weekly sure. But if I was paying monthly I wouldn't be willing to pay any extra because a month has 5 Mondays. Which it seems like is the situation in the OP.

Op knows the weekly rate, but is unsure of the monthly, so it appears the rent was negotiated on a weekly rate. It seems the op wants clarity on what the monthly rate would be if rent is paid monthly. On that basis it would be 140 x 52 •/• 12 = amount to be paid monthly if averaged out over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I was totally confused and miscalculated lol The calculation makes perfect sense to me. Just as well the lease not done yet as I was to talk to landlord again.

On the outside looking in €140 weekly rent for a 3 bedroom house in Waterford City sounds like a steal but there is serious leakage issues all over the house. I had to buy a 20L beast of a dehumidifier for my room as without it my room especially in the evenings depending if it's raining gets to 65-80%. Problem with this is that dehumidifier is driving up energy costs as I use it regularly.

I'm looking to get a quotation from a roofer and if it's not a ridiculous amount I will just cover it out of pocket as its much better for health and cheaper if I don't have to use the dehumidifier that cost me €200 in Amazon UK. Landlord does not like spending money so not a chance he's going to sort out the leakage as I have told him about the issue several times lol but the rent is cheap.

And to be fair he told me I can sublease if I want to which is pretty cool.

So per calendar month I'm looking at €607. It's not too bad but I don't know whether to agree this with a new lease or renegotiate a better price considering leakage issues. Other rent prices I saw on daft.ie cheapest was like €850 (probably with no leakage problem) but still big difference in price and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The landlord may not want a monthly payment of rent. He sounds like the type who will show up on a Friday for €140 cash with no written lease in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

The landlord may not want a monthly payment of rent. He sounds like the type who will show up on a Friday for €140 cash with no written lease in place.

Then use a rent book signed off each week by landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Of it was advertised as weekly then it’s 140*52
    Why would you think it’s 140*48?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

your landlord is still required to ensure the property meets minimum standards and one of those is that living areas are free from damp and mold. That's a legal requirement, check the RTB site:

"The property must be free from damp and in good structural repair."

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I was totally confused and miscalculated lol The calculation makes perfect sense to me. Just as well the lease not done yet as I was to talk to landlord again.

On the outside looking in €140 weekly rent for a 3 bedroom house in Waterford City sounds like a steal but there is serious leakage issues all over the house. I had to buy a 20L beast of a dehumidifier for my room as without it my room especially in the evenings depending if it's raining gets to 65-80%. Problem with this is that dehumidifier is driving up energy costs as I use it regularly.

I'm looking to get a quotation from a roofer and if it's not a ridiculous amount I will just cover it out of pocket as its much better for health and cheaper if I don't have to use the dehumidifier that cost me €200 in Amazon UK. Landlord does not like spending money so not a chance he's going to sort out the leakage as I have told him about the issue several times lol but the rent is cheap.

And to be fair he told me I can sublease if I want to which is pretty cool.

So per calendar month I'm looking at €607. It's not too bad but I don't know whether to agree this with a new lease or renegotiate a better price considering leakage issues. Other rent prices I saw on daft.ie cheapest was like €850 (probably with no leakage problem) but still big difference in price and location.

Advertisement