Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why buy games on release?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What bugs lol I don't think I encountered a single one for part II.

Not sure specifically as I haven't played it on release :)

But there was a huge update to the core game which was released 2 months after launch... big enough that they actually created a trailer for it

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/11/21363433/the-last-of-us-part-2-grounded-update-trailer-release-date

but there was never any gigantic announcement about fixing bugs

I think you misread my post... the "huge" reference was related to the update.

I said "added some huge updates/bug fixes" which was two items I listed:

1) "Huge update" (the permadeath and other snazzy graphics/gameplay updates)

2) "Bug fixes" (whether big or small)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out now that they've finally stopped updating it and I'll experience it first time with all these bits added.

these so-called bug fixes

That's what Naughty Dog called em

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I generally get caught up in the hype. In recent years would have pre-ordered Cyberpunk, Modern Warfare 2019, TLOU2, Resi 2, Borderlands 3, the Battlefields since 4, Division 2 (and 1), RDR2, GOW, HZD, Remnant from the Ashes and Destiny 2 (and 1).

Only a couple of disappointments there and nothing too bad. I just don't want to wait a few months just to save €30. Lots of sequels though. Actually looking at the list I'm really not disappointed at all.

Awesome. And those bugs that Naughty Dog "called em"? I didn't experience so my point about having a seamless experience still stands.

sure but you coulda got that 100% had you waited for the other updates :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love buying games day 1 that I'm hyped for. I love following games development, finding out info, speculating and generally getting excited to see what it's like. If i really like the sound of a game, i want to play it as soon as possible. Sometimes I'll get burned but sometimes it will be great and all my time spent looking forward to it pays off. Yeah, these days games get so much better after a few months of patches and i should wait to get the proper experience but for some games i just can't wait.

I look forward to a game, i want to play it asap.

I'm prob going to grab Mario All-Stars on Switch... can be purchased on Amazon for around €36 (although it will be €30 for me as I have some final Amazon credit to use up).

It's mad that only 3 months ago it was selling for about €56, and had bugs to boot, so again it was worth the wait as they've released patches including the ability to use a Gamecube controller with it.

Sometimes waiting for a game you want to play even after release increases the anticipation more :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They weren't bugs, they just half arsed the controls and straight up made them unplayable for a lot of people by not giving the option to invert.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They weren't bugs, they just half arsed the controls and straight up made them unplayable for a lot of people by not giving the option to invert.

thought there were bugs around strange sounds being played during the race in Sunshine, and slow transition between map and gameplay, and developer "guide blocks" left, plus the aforementioned control issues?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't know or notice the others but the control issues were implemented by nintendo. The original games were inverted so nintendo would have actively had to code them to be none inverted and then not include and option to change was just stupid and lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I buy at launch cause I don't want to miss out and fear it will be spoiled for me with people posting meme's or reading the generic threads on boards.

However I game so infrequently these days (I've only played two games this year FFVII:Remake & Miles Morales) I rarely get caught on the hype train.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can really see this thread just becoming CB bash, but feck it, still give it a go.

I personally buy new games very very rarely, only the ones, I am really excited. Last new games I bought were Monster Hunter and expansion when it came out, Division 2 and CB. Not disappointed with them at all. Had/have good crack with all of them.

Then I mostly play whatever I get on game pass ( PC and xbox ) and whatever I want on sales. I would still classify myself as "Patient gamer".

And I don't really hold anything against people who buy games new on release. As Retro pointed out, when you buy game on launch you can be in the middle of community discovering and discussing particular game. In multilayer games, you play when everyone is new to it and game is at its most active state.

I can really see this thread just becoming CB bash, but feck it, still give it a go.

CB bash? :confused:

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm prob going to grab Mario All-Stars on Switch... can be purchased on Amazon for around €36 (although it will be €30 for me as I have some final Amazon credit to use up).

Amazon have an offer at the moment for £10 discount if using the mobile app to pay so that was another chunk of change off to get it down to €19.

Totally unplanned, but I guess another fluke of waiting to order the game till now! :o

Advertisement