Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a carbon fibre bike safely

Options
  • 15-12-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,
    All going well, I’ll be the proud owner of a new fancier-than-I’ve-ever-owned bike shortly.
    I’ve already learnt that carbon bikes should be mounted by the seat post not the frame when working on them to avoid over-tightening (and even then cautiously), but what about storing the bike?

Is the classic vertical bike hook the way to go? My wheels won’t be some €€$ carbon yoke so I presume that’s safe. Can I also keep the bike elevated on a horizontal bike shelf or dual hooks along the frame? This wouldn’t be for long term storage, just for during the week when real life takes over.

Any tips welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hang my carbon bike by the front wheel on a wall hook, but i also hang another bike by the saddle, on a beam which runs across the garage. i just draped an old teatowel over the beam so the saddle isn't scraped or damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

i hang my carbon bike by the front wheel on a wall hook, but i also hang another bike by the saddle, on a beam which runs across the garage. i just draped an old teatowel over the beam so the saddle isn't scraped or damaged.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you can’t go wrong as long as it’s a protected surface. Think I’ll have a look at those shelves that keep the bike horizontal so!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Treat it like you are protecting the paint first and bike second. Also if you can try keep it a few feet off the ground. I clattered one of my bikes about 3 months ago swinging a weights bench around and left a hefty mark below the seatpost. It's a second bike for the trainer but still raging

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Treat it like you are protecting the paint first and bike second. Also if you can try keep it a few feet off the ground. I clattered one of my bikes about 3 months ago swinging a weights bench around and left a hefty mark below the seatpost. It's a second bike for the trainer but still raging

Ouch! Point taken. Will be storing it indoors and hopefully far from everyone who might clatter it by accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

DavisBXL wrote: »
    Ouch! Point taken. Will be storing it indoors and hopefully far from everyone who might clatter it by accident!

Good luck with your new bike. Hope she treats you well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement