Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Vaccine take-up - A/R straw poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I wont take it for two main reasons

1.No peer reviewed data on clinical trials
    2.Government giving indemnity to vaccine companies for potential lawsuits in future.

Work in medical devices and to get clinical trials turned around and FDA approved in under 6 months- there is something amiss here.
    normally 4 years data minimum required.

disclaimer
    I take the flu vaccine every year.

Supercell wrote: »

so its mandatory?
    is that not unconstitutional?
    my body my choice,good enough for the pro-choice agenda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

seanin4711 wrote: »
    so its mandatory?

Not mandatory, but it might be if you want to enter some races in the future, who knows?, thats what the Indo is reporting anyhow. The airlines are making noises about Covid passports too, time will tell how our overlords deem it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I wont take it for two main reasons

1.No peer reviewed data on clinical trials
    2.Government giving indemnity to vaccine companies for potential lawsuits in future.

Work in medical devices and to get clinical trials turned around and FDA approved in under 6 months- there is something amiss here.

disclaimer
    I take the flu vaccine every year.

I believe the astra zeneca data has been peer reviewed. Or at least some of it. But I agree it’s an issue - publishing efficacy via PR press releases is not what we need. Then again, these are extraordinary times.

so its mandatory?

Nothing in the constitution about this kind of thing, as far as I know.

Mandatory vaccination for travel reasons / visa granting issues etc is not unusual at all, so why not other areas where you pose a risk by not taking all available precautions.

‘My body my choice’ may well be the anti-vacc agenda, but no one has a right to endanger people who make different choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

While I have no problem with it, it's a bit police state.
    In that case they will have to provide a proper hse issued card similar to a driving licence to avoid fraudulent claims to have taken the vaccine?

Races on the continent require a cert signed by a doctor before you can take part, France and Italy spring to mind (marathons at least). This is no different in my view and I would certainly be happier attending any event knowing that everyone there has been vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Murph_D wrote: »

Mandatory vaccination for travel reasons / visa granting issues etc is not unusual at all, so why not other areas where you pose a risk by not taking all available precautions.

‘My body my choice’ may well be the anti-vacc agenda, but no one has a right to endanger people who make different choices.

As of now it is not known if the Pfizer vaccine will in fact prevent transmission

Ceepo wrote: »
    As of now it is not known if the Pfizer vaccine will in fact prevent transmission

Agreed. Not sure why you’re quoting me here - nothing to do with what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I won't be taking it (at least at this point in time I would be cautious about jumping to the front of the queue). There are vulnerable people out there and if they consider it worthwhile to do then by all means fire away. I suppose the standard slur here for this is being an anti-vaxxer, which I am not.

If it's a case of not getting into sporting events, flights and running events so be it.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I won't be taking it (at least at this point in time I would be cautious about jumping to the front of the queue). There are vulnerable people out there and if they consider it worthwhile to do then by all means fire away. I suppose the standard slur here for this is being an anti-vaxxer, which I am not.

If it's a case of not getting into sporting events, flights and running events so be it.

No one would ever accuse someone waiting their turn in the queue of being an ‘anti-vaxxer’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

Supercell wrote: »
    Not mandatory, but it might be if you want to enter some races in the future, who knows?, thats what the Indo is reporting anyhow. The airlines are making noises about Covid passports too, time will tell how our overlords deem it.

The travel industry has already several beta products for their own new global digital identity system, the most likely one will the CommonPass Framework.

This will require a face and fingerprint scans, coupled with QR code Health Passport Apps taken with a smartphone to verify your identity with the multi-stage biological verifications.

For folks who won't/don't use a smartphone, there is an alternative method of 'always-on' nano technology on the horizon which negates (all) the previous fuss and procedures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is that data that has taken 4 years to compile but covers three separate 6 month long trials, or data covering 4 year long trials?

The first ist case they have done, just ran the different stage trials at the same time. Nothing different from normal except they eliminated the waiting around for more funding between each stage of trials and just got on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

robinph wrote: »
    Is that data that has taken 4 years to compile but covers three separate 6 month long trials, or data covering 4 year long trials?

The first ist case they have done, just ran the different stage trials at the same time. Nothing different from normal except they eliminated the waiting around for more funding between each stage of trials and just got on with it.

Was chatting to my cousin who works developing vaccines and her take on it was it was entirely plausible that we could create one so quickly. As you allude to, a huge amount of time (months on end in some cases) for "standard" vaccines is spent in the queue to be reviewed by one committee or another (ethics, funding etc). Any COVID vaccine is basically skipping the queue on these and gets reviewed almost immediately, which is nothing but an administrative change, but can shave months/years off the timeline.

Agreed. Not sure why you’re quoting me here - nothing to do with what I posted.

"but no one has a right to endanger people who make different choices."

I thought you were implying that by not taking the vaccine that you were endangering others.
    And i was just saying that even talking the vaccine doesn't mean you can't transmit Covid-19

Apologies if I picked this up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

so its mandatory?

Unconstitutional? How do you figure that?

When you sign up to a race, you sign up to terms and conditions. This will be one of them for a lot of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Would take it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah will take it. I am nervous about it but i also see the positive's about it

"but no one has a right to endanger people who make different choices."

I thought you were implying that by not taking the vaccine that you were endangering others.
    And i was just saying that even talking the vaccine doesn't mean you can't transmit Covid-19

Apologies if I picked this up wrong.

You can still transmit it once you have the vaccine. But that will only affect the anti group and for them covid doesn't exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Will be taking it the second I get the call to say it's available for my demographic. My 87-year old aunt should be among the first few rounds & she can't wait so she can get back to some sort of normal life. Given she's a former nurse guess she remembers the way things were before vaccines for some of the common childhood diseases.

• Advertisement

how am i anti vacc?
    i get the flu jab every year.
    just don't trust rushed through "its for your own good" rationale.
    take a punt if you fancy it,i dont.
    thats my choice!

Races on the continent require a cert signed by a doctor before you can take part, France and Italy spring to mind (marathons at least). This is no different in my view and I would certainly be happier attending any event knowing that everyone there has been vaccinated.

they require doc certs to say they are fit to start and more importantly finish the event, disclaimer etc.

And do you want to post all the articles that came out after also?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nurses who forgot they were severely allergic to stuff, whilst carrying Epipens on them all day every day, given vaccine that states on the label not to give it to people with severe allergies, but they did anyway.

Other than some stupidity amongst the group of the nurses administering the jabs and the people receiving it, there is no story there.

You can still transmit it once you have the vaccine. But that will only affect the anti group and for them covid doesn't exist

I don't think you can tar all people who have resavations as anti vax orcovid denying, some people rightly or wrong think that their immune system is enough to fight of the virus.
    Its important to remember that most people who contract the virus have very mild to no symptoms.
    Its also hard to try understand the % rates as this is a fluid, back towards the of May the mortality rates were a lot higher per % of positive cases with just over 1,500 deaths from approx 24,000 positive case. Now we are in the ball park of 2,100 from just under 80,000 positive cases

how am i anti vacc?
    i get the flu jab every year.
    just don't trust rushed through "its for your own good" rationale.
    take a punt if you fancy it,i dont.
    thats my choice!

It's no more rushed through than the flu vaccine you get each year.

I don't think you can tar all people who have resavations as anti vax orcovid denying, some people rightly or wrong think that their immune system is enough to fight of the virus.
    Its important to remember that most people who contract the virus have very mild to no symptoms.
    Its also hard to try understand the % rates as this is a fluid, back towards the of May the mortality rates were a lot higher per % of positive cases with just over 1,500 deaths from approx 24,000 positive case. Now we are in the ball park of 2,100 from just under 80,000 positive cases

Rates are alot lower because of our actions also.

I have no problem with people not taking the vax, once it doesn't become a drain on the healthcare system when we open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rates are alot lower because of our actions also.

I have no problem with people not taking the vax, once it doesn't become a drain on the healthcare system when we open up.

Nail on the head, social responsibility.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will be taking it as soon as I can, I was very ill with it 9 months ago and have had an extremely slow recovery (I'm 36 with no underlying conditions) - it's grim and I don't fancy another round of it.

Advertisement