Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Vaccine take-up - A/R straw poll

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Unless you are obese or are immune compromised it won't have any effect on you if under 60.
    A lot of heavy people with bmi over 30 are having a hard time recovering but they clearly weren't really healthy(as in physically fit to start with).

This isn't just bluster, the stats are there.
    There are always outliers but 1 in 10,000 instances that the media try push as a norm does not a norm make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Unless you are obese or are immune compromised it won't have any effect on you if under 60.

Are you sure?

MY BAD wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Where is the evidence?
    Do you think after 9 months of sample cases they wouldn't have rammed this down our throats if there was any shred of a pattern emerging about healthy people becoming ill?

I'd say the vast majority of adults between 30-60 who have had it didn't even know that they had it or have been asymptomatic to the point of not even clearing 37.5 , you know the ones who work in the private sector and need to get up for work in the morning?

I'm all for measures that protect the people that need protection but even nphet aren't stupid enough to suggest healthy adults and children have anything to fear with regards to their own health from this illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A lot of heavy people with bmi over 30 are having a hard time recovering but they clearly weren't really healthy(as in physically fit to start with).

This isn't just bluster, the stats are there.
    There are always outliers but 1 in 10,000 instances that the media try push as a norm does not a norm make.

Newcastle football academy is in a bad way. Apparently a good few won't be able to play for 2 months!

Where is the evidence?
    Do you think after 9 months of sample cases they wouldn't have rammed this down our throats if there was any shred of a pattern emerging about healthy people becoming ill?

I'd say the vast majority of adults between 30-60 who have had it didn't even know that they had it or have been asymptomatic to the point of not even clearing 37.5 , you know the ones who work in the private sector and need to get up for work in the morning?

I'm all for measures that protect the people that need protection but even nphet aren't stupid enough to suggest healthy adults and children have anything to fear with regards to their own health from this illness.

So you won't take the vaccine?

• Advertisement

So you won't take the vaccine?

I would but purely to ensure the older and vulnerable I meet are safe.

Newcastle football academy is in a bad way. Apparently a good few won't be able to play for 2 months!

Ah come on, sure Newcastle haven't played any football since Shearer retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

But you getting the vaccine wont help protect the vulnerable, if it doesn't prevent transmission.

This point imo is not stated enough by the media and the experts that they interview.
    Some people will take the vaccine in the belief they are protecting the vulnerable close to them, and may end up actually causing them more harm than good.
    I suppose there might be a fear that would impact the vaccine uptake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Where is the evidence?

Absolutely, I do think that. A normal person being reasonably sick is not newsworthy. How many stories do you see on the news about cancer survivors for instance? Those people have been through their own version of hell, but it doesn't make the news.

My wife had (suspected) COVID in the early days, and being honest she was not back to herself until middle of summer. But in no way was it worth reporting. I also guess RainbowKirby wasnt reporting her lingering ill health either.

Ceepo wrote: »
    But you getting the vaccine wont help protect the vulnerable, if it doesn't prevent transmission.

This point imo is not stated enough by the media and the experts that they interview.
    Some people will take the vaccine in the belief they are protecting the vulnerable close to them, and may end up actually causing them more harm than good.
    I suppose there might be a fear that would impact the vaccine uptake

If 60% get it and we achieve an overall immunity does the virus not die away then anyway due to lack of hosts to pass through?
    I'd find it hard to believe that we are still as transmissive as before any vaccine if bodies can fight off the thing?

• Advertisement

You taking the vaccine doesn't protect the elderly group. Vaccine will only protect you. You will still be able to pass it on to people.

You taking the vaccine doesn't protect the elderly group. Vaccine will only protect you. You will still be able to pass it on to people.

You know that for a fact?
    Didn't think it was confirmed yet one way or the other.

You know that for a fact?
    Didn't think it was confirmed yet one way or the other.

All reports so far is the vaccine doesn't stop the transmission of it.
    That could change, same way the flu jab doesn't stop the transmission of it.

Vaccine protects your body from something

If 60% get it and we achieve an overall immunity does the virus not die away then anyway due to lack of hosts to pass through?
    I'd find it hard to believe that we are still as transmissive as before any vaccine if bodies can fight off the thing?

The point I was making was, the vaccine helps YOU to fight the symptom's of the virus. According to what we know now its unclear if it stops transmission.
    This is the same as having the virus and having no symptoms.

"There is also no data yet to show how well the jab works in those who need it the most - the elderly.

Nor do we know if it stops people spreading the disease, as well as getting sick.

And it's not clear how long immunity might last. People might need yearly boosters." - Prof Ugur Sahin, BioNTech co-founder,

As far as I know it will need more than 60% to achieve overall immunity. So it will be masks, social distance, sanitize for a long time to come.

Interesting words from Prof Staines DCU this evening.
    "80% of people need to be vaccinated for heard immunity."
    This will take 10/11 months to achieve. Of course this is assuming that 80% of people will get the vaccination.
    "Lockdowns don't stop virus, public health does.
    Contract tracing is non existing after 400 daily cases due to manpower"
    " Quarantine people in airports to prevent in virus coming in"
    Probably should have been done earlier.

Anyone who thinks there will be mass sporting events taking place in Ireland this side of Autumn may well reconsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

DCM is what I am hoping for but even that is unikely cos they will have to make the call at around July/August. And recent reports say it lost a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ceepo wrote: »
    The point I was making was, the vaccine helps YOU to fight the symptom's of the virus. According to what we know now its unclear if it stops transmission.
    This is the same as having the virus and having no symptoms.

We don't know if being vaccinated stops transmission of the virus because the vaccination trials solely focused on the efficacy of the vaccination with regards to preventing disease. There is some indicative data that the vaccine might stop transmission as well but there is not enough data to confirm this yet.

But as far is I see it, even if the vaccination merely stopped me from developing Covid that would still be reason enough to take it. I find it extraordinary that anyone who is perfectly happy to drink alcohol, eat unhealthy food and partake in various unhealthy activities all of a sudden goes "uh, I don't think I should put that into my body" when it comes to vaccination.

I find it extraordinary that anyone who is perfectly happy to drink alcohol, eat unhealthy food and partake in various unhealthy activities all of a sudden goes "uh, I don't think I should put that into my body" when it comes to vaccination.

True, but its not just that cohort of people who say they wont take it.

Advertisement