Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red tailed hawk

• 15-12-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

I've seen a bird twice in roughly the same area over the past week that looks very like a RTH. Im very familiar with birds of prey having had a few down the years and this is neither a buzzard or red kite. Has anyone else in North Dublin seen a possible sighting of a red tail hawk? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have not heard about it, but if it was (seen) it would be all over by now and the area full of twitchers.

If it is, probably those who saw it took it as a Buzzard, given its shape similarity.

A picture would do the trick.

2 weeks ago I was observing what I thought it was a common sandpiper for good solid 5 - 10 minutes...a few friends so my pic and it turned out to be a Spotted Sandpiper (confirmed eventually by a few top birders). It would never have occurred that that what it was, and the sighting would have gone unreported if I did not have a picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gzoladz wrote: »
    I have not heard about it, but if it was (seen) it would be all over by now and the area full of twitchers.
    to be fair, it would still start off with a first 'what the bloody hell is that?' report...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

to be fair, it would still start off with a first 'what the bloody hell is that?' report...

Thanks for replying. Last week a saw a buzzard with an unusually red coloured tail then when driving through the same area today I saw what looked like a buzzard in a tree over the road it had an almost white belly with very few speckles and dark wings . I couldn't stop coz a car was driving right up me a#@e. I know buzzards can vary massively colourwise but there's always the 'What if'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Could be a red kite.

Edit: oops didn't see your red kite comment apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There was one "living in the wild" near Casement Aerodrome in South Dublin for at least 18 months a couple of years ago before the falconer working for the BCU there managed to catch it and with no owner coming forward he added to to his existing falcon team. Was in good condition too despite its time in the wild and appeared to have a particular liking for a magpie dinner;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement