Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow bar and bike carrier

Options
  • 15-12-2020 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Thinking about a tow bar and bike carrier for my 2006 civic hatch.
    €830 I was quoted for both today. €330 for tow bar and €500 for bike carrier. The car is worth about €800 itself.

Amy cheaper options out there? Tow bar or bike carrier please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Economically, you're probably best of selling the car and buying a similarly priced one with a tow bar installed.

There are much cheaper bike carriers that do fine - I have this (or a variant of it) https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/bike-racks/clamp-flange-towbar-mounted-3-bike-carrier

They have a decent range at https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/bike-racks

How many bikes do you need to carry?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Alkers wrote: »
    Economically, you're probably best of selling the car and buying a similarly priced one with a tow bar installed.

There are much cheaper bike carriers that do fine - I have this (or a variant of it) https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/bike-racks/clamp-flange-towbar-mounted-3-bike-carrier

They have a decent range at https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/bike-racks

How many bikes do you need to carry?

Thanks.

I need to carry 2 kids bike and my defy. I had a rear boot carrier but the civic has a glass boot and it's only a matter of time before it breaks the glass.

Anywhere around tallaght that fits tow bars does anyone know that are reasonable in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

300 quid is reasonable for a tow bar. But 500 quid is top dolla for a rack. You can definitely save money there.

Also, having recently been shopping for the likes of an 06 civic, car prices are gone bananas so your Honda (unless it's in a right state) is worth a lot more than the 800 quid you'd have struggled to get for it thís time last year.

Definitely only worth getting the tow bar though if you're keeping the bar for a good while yet. But if you do, then towbar racks are fantastic and definitely the best way to carry bikes. I had Atera Strada 3bije carrier for years and got great use out of it. Not cheap, but Halfords do much more affordable ones that are grand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

It might be too far for you, but Whelan's on the Heath, just outside Portlaoise, do towbars for €160

Halfords do an own brand 4 bike towbar rack for €214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/thule-xpress-pro-970-towbar-mounted-bike-rack-176217.html

Your being rode for the bike rack.

Even a 4 bike towbar mount is only €220 from Halfords. I have one abkut 5 years and they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I got this one 2 years ago, its seen a fair bit of use and I'm pretty happy with it, carries 4 bikes
    a hell of a lot cheaper then €500
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/thule-9708-hangon-towball-carrier-4-bike/rp-prod165295

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I've got the 4 bike version of this:

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3341569/tow-ball-cyclecarrier-pure-instinct-2-bikes-web-packaging - Link may not be to the exact one but its the Peruzzo Pure Instinct

This is exact same as the Witter one.. don't know do Witter re-badge these or vice versa. 2 bike is €299 or 4 bike is €399 but regularly is cheaper.

Got Tow Bar fitted by Malcolm's in Rathmines - fully detachable and very neat job, cannot see the cut in the bumper as its well hidden underneath. Electrics included too. It's a Witter Tow Bar.

fat bloke wrote: »
    300 quid is reasonable for a tow bar. But 500 quid is top dolla for a rack. You can definitely save money there.

Also, having recently been shopping for the likes of an 06 civic, car prices are gone bananas so your Honda (unless it's in a right state) is worth a lot more than the 800 quid you'd have struggled to get for it thís time last year.

Definitely only worth getting the tow bar though if you're keeping the bar for a good while yet. But if you do, then towbar racks are fantastic and definitely the best way to carry bikes. I had Atera Strada 3bije carrier for years and got great use out of it. Not cheap, but Halfords do much more affordable ones that are grand too.

The car is immaculate with just over 100k miles on it. It's a great car and I'm holding onto it.

• Advertisement

I've got the 4 bike version of this:

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3341569/tow-ball-cyclecarrier-pure-instinct-2-bikes-web-packaging - Link may not be to the exact one but its the Peruzzo Pure Instinct

This is exact same as the Witter one.. don't know do Witter re-badge these or vice versa. 2 bike is €299 or 4 bike is €399 but regularly is cheaper.

Got Tow Bar fitted by Malcolm's in Rathmines - fully detachable and very neat job, cannot see the cut in the bumper as its well hidden underneath. Electrics included too. It's a Witter Tow Bar.

Thanks for that. I'll give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Alkers wrote: »

A lot to worry about buying an €800 car you don't know, versus the one you already know and have.

I posted already above, but I have the Halfords 4 bike rack for €214. Regularly carry 2 adult and two kids bikes, no issue whatsoever, rock solid.

If you stretch to the €299, they do a model that tilts out of the way with the bikes on to open the boot

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why does it need to be a tow-bar carrier?
    I've a rack that clings onto the bootlid which has been used to carry three bikes around France.
    I think it was about €150 from my LBS five years ago

Not all cars are suitable for boot racks. I had one that I used with my Corolla, but when I changed to an Avensis estate, the boot rack wouldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some cars have a plastic or fibreglass trim on the boot, so you can't hang a carrier from it.
    Not sure I'd trust one of those with 4 adult bikes either, whereas my towbar carrier takes 4 bikes no bother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My tow bar rack was 25euro from Aldi and carries two bikes without issue, three bikes at a push.

Why does it need to be a tow-bar carrier?
    I've a rack that clings onto the bootlid which has been used to carry three bikes around France.
    I think it was about €150 from my LBS five years ago

The 2006 Honda civic boot is glass around the top. If you break the glass, it's a whole new boot door from a scrap yard. Mental money. Boot bike racks have been known to shatter the glass on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

byrnem31 wrote: »
    The 2006 Honda civic boot is glass around the top. If you break the glass, it's a whole new boot door from a scrap yard. Mental money. Boot bike racks have been known to shatter the glass on them.

Could you try the scrap yards for a tow bar and fittings of a scrapped Honda civic? Then pay a yard to Fit it for you. Most garages can send word round to scrap yards asking for you to keep costs down.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could you try the scrap yards for a tow bar and fittings of a scrapped Honda civic? Then pay a yard to Fit it for you. Most garages can send word round to scrap yards asking for you to keep costs down.

Yeah I never thought of that. I'll ring around and see. 320 for towbar might be doable though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement