Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams of opening a food truck

• 15-12-2020 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently between jobs at the moment.
    I always enjoyed cooking but the kitchen / restaurant environment doesn't appeal to me. However I do have a keen interest in one day running my own food truck.

I have no chef experience and any of the courses I find online are all geared towards the high end side of things. I have made contact with some of the local street food vendors for advise / work experience with no joy.
    There is limited vendors in my locality (Monaghan) and I would appreciate advise from anyone with experience in this sector ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have a look at previous threads and discussions here about starting a business.

There are aids available from the local enterprise offices.

However there's also a lot of things you can do yourself.

An obvious one is basic market research.

If there's nobody servicing the area why is that?

What would your food truck offer?

Why would people buy from it?

Who would cook the food? You? Somebody else?

Starting a business is fun, but it's also quite daunting.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

ak4 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am currently between jobs at the moment.
    I always enjoyed cooking but the kitchen / restaurant environment doesn't appeal to me. However I do have a keen interest in one day running my own food truck.

I have no chef experience and any of the courses I find online are all geared towards the high end side of things. I have made contact with some of the local street food vendors for advise / work experience with no joy.
    There is limited vendors in my locality (Monaghan) and I would appreciate advise from anyone with experience in this sector ?

If you have dreams about running your own food truck my advise is go for it but reaserch first.

You say you have no joy from local food vendors for work experience/info and the reason may be
    (1) your local so they will view you as competition;
    (2) its the Silly Season so these trucks are probably extremely busy-so haven't got the time to help you out;

Go look at food vans further afield. go grab a bite to eat in a few, what their menu like. just done a quick google loads of Information!!!

As above

(1) what food will you do? Day time or evening?

Day time only maybe soup and a sambo/toastie this would be a cheaper option to kit out and more simpler to cook. if you go evening you will need to up your cooking skills.

Go get the rough price on a van and kit out; what would your insurance costs be? Have you any contacts that could give you a site OR will you travel around.

running your own business is hard going BUT if its a dream of yours definitely look into it.

Remember its Silly Season people are

Advertisement