Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JohnGreenFan & The Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

He's just shouting. Why does he need sound angry? It's a Christmas song, Rob!!!
    Visions of auld fellas roaring this in the pub :o couldn't get into it, and probably would have scored lower if I wasn't so allergic to some of the upcoming songs...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Visions of auld fellas roaring this in the pub :o couldn't get into it, and probably would have scored lower if I wasn't so allergic to some of the upcoming songs...

e38819f1ed421e2d771dbc686a763348.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

In 6th place with 16 points:
    Deja Boo

Keith Urban - I'll Be Your Santa Tonight

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? No

I said in my opening post: country songs won't do well here. That advice was ignored, and it has served them well - this is just lovely, and I enjoyed it more and more with every listen! Unlucky to not place higher.
    His voice is actually quite nice to listen to, not really a bop but still a nice one for a little Christmas dance in the living room all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 7th place with 15 points:
    ShaneU

Sia - Candy Cane Lane

Loved this, great bop potential, upbeat and cheery. I love Sia's voice so this was always going to score well - very different to her other song featured in this round! CANDAY CAAAAaaaaaaAAAANES

Almost went with this myself, nice choice

In 15th place with 7 points:
    Deleted User

Little Green Cars - Reindeer with a Broken Leg

:D Was fully expecting last place here, especially when you mentioned the 'bop-ometer', so this has already gone much better than expected! But even if it did come last, I'd not have regretted it! :pac:

I think the song is very much tongue-in-cheek, they made it really depressing on purpose to go with their general aesthetic. It gels well with my sense of humour. Stevie Appleby is a delightfully odd fellow.

• Advertisement

In 17th place with 5 points:
    beakerjoe

Gwen Stefani - Jingle Bells

I love Gwen right, so I really wanted to like this. It's grand like. I don't know there is anything particularly special about it as a cover of Jingle Bells. It's also the exact thign I was hoping to avoid - pop covers of classics so that shoved it down the rankings. I'm also not sure I'd have known it was Gwen Stefani either - not one of her best in my opinion.

In 5th place with 17 points:
    Green&Red

I'm not going to lie lads. I bawled when I listened to this song. With everything going on this year, I haven't been able to get home and see my family (like everyone else), so this song really hit me in the gut thinking about getting home this year. It might not have palced as well any other year but it was a great choice - I love Meghan Trainor and it wouldn't be my favourite of hers but great all the same.

In 18th place with 4 points:
    phatkev

Run The Jewels - A Christmas F**king Miracle

Have I listened to this artist before? No

I hated this from the first word and that never changed. Lyrically I felt it was quite poor - a bit about planned parenthood planning miscarraiges was a particular horrific highlight - and the music in the background also didn't interest me. One I had to try not to force myself to skip over in the later listens!!

In 4th place with 18 points:
    Sawduck

The Killers - Christmas in L.A.

THIS IS SO GOOD. Big fan of the Killers in my youth but haven't listened to much of their recent stuff but this was great. Very different Christmas song but I really enjoyed it all the same and there's a good bit of relatability in the lyrics! Video well worth a watch too.

That brings us to our final 6... who will bop to the top and who will be left at the bottom?

The remaining contestants:
    Necro
    Arghus
    JP Liz V1
    Mustang shelly
    Kolido
    The purple tin

• Advertisement

That brings us to our final 6... who will bop to the top and who will be left at the bottom?

Necro
    Arghus
    JP Liz V1
    Mustang shelly
    Kolido
    The purple tin

tenor.gif

In 19th place with 3 points:
    The Purple Tin

Loretta Lynn - Country Christmas

Have I listened to this artist before? No

This is an example of a country song I didn't want to see coming in the entries - I disliked everything about it - the music, the lyrics, the singer's voice - which also just seems to be shouting. Not a winner for me and after about two lsitens I couldn't cope anymore. It was last in the list for quite some time until the next two came along!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Necro
    Arghus
    JP Liz V1
    Mustang shelly
    Kolido
    The purple tin

I think I have last taken :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 18th place with 4 points:
    phatkev

Run The Jewels - A Christmas F**king Miracle

I hated this from the first word and that never changed...
    ...yet it beat three other songs :eek:

In JOINT 3rd place with 19 points each:
    Necro
    &
    Kolido

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

THE BOPS ARE BACK. This one is so good with Gwen Stefani that I can overlook Blake Shelton being a little too country for my liking. Definite 10 out of 10 on the Bop-O-Meter for this one, and good sing-a-long qualities
    I WANT TO THANK YOU BAAAABBAAAYY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In 4th place with 18 points:
    Sawduck

The Killers - Christmas in L.A.

THIS IS SO GOOD. Big fan of the Killers in my youth but haven't listened to much of their recent stuff but this was great. Very different Christmas song but I really enjoyed it all the same and there's a good bit of relatability in the lyrics! Video well worth a watch too.
    Nice Springsteen vibe to this.

In 20th place with 2 points:
    Arghus

Low - Silent Night

I was really looking forward to this one, given how much I enjoyed Just Like Christmas but this is a big NO for me. Didn't enjoy it one bit - but I also don't particularly enjoy Silent Night as a song anyway so it started off badly. Really boring cover I thought, doesn't bring anythign exciting to the song and didn't really think the voices were all that great either?? Wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In 14th place with 8 points:
    Trigger

Pearl Jam - Someday at Christmas

I didn't know Pearl Jam did Christmas music, and the song was nothing like what I expected... and then I realised it was a cover of Stevie Wonder's song and it made slightly more sense.
    This song actually started much lower but it was one of the songs that got stuck in my head and I found myself humming it away to myself at work. Repeated listens moved it a little further up the table, but I'm still not mad about it. Better songs on offer in this round.

I'll take it.. and run..

In fairness they do plenty of Christmas songs, they even have this cracker :D

https://open.spotify.com/track/3u6WZbcnpcCNesWUN8DtMS?si=MWwup2a1QLOMstgVDf0VEw

Kolido copying my notes :P

Yeah when you mentioned the Bop-O-Meter I was hopeful.

Blake Shelton is awesome btw, you should give some of his own stuff a whirl :)

In 21st place and bringing up the rear:
    JP Liz V1

Aw lads. This was exactly what I didn't want. I do enjoy Michael Buble but I genuinely think this is one of the worst covers of any song ever. The original is so boppy and upbeat and joyful and this takes all the good from the original, bins it, and replaces it with the most generic slow christmas effort you could attempt. I often think it sounds like one of those royalty free songs you hear in shops who are too cheap to pay for a music licence. This one went straight to the bottom and never moved.

• Advertisement

Which means in 1st place for our Christmas round is:
    mustang shelly

Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

my favourite Christmas song of all time. hands down. I tried to move it down the rankings because I knew it and love it and wanted to give the other songs a chance... but I just think it's perfect. Good lyrics, great vocals, 25/10 on the bop-o-meter. I love Kelly Clarkson and for me this is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looking at the top 10 here I do NOT feel confident for the rest of this competition :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think I have last taken :o
    In 21st place and bringing up the rear:

Aw lads. This was exactly what I didn't want. I do enjoy Michael Buble but I genuinely think this is one of the worst covers of any song ever. The original is so boppy and upbeat and joyful and this takes all the good from the original, bins it, and replaces it with the most generic slow christmas effort you could attempt. I often think it sounds like one of those royalty free songs you hear in shops who are too cheap to pay for a music licence. This one went straight to the bottom and never moved.

th?id=OIP.ocubPPgmZ0TQVyhBV8jHIQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In 20th place with 2 points:
    Arghus

Low - Silent Night

I was really looking forward to this one, given how much I enjoyed Just Like Christmas but this is a big NO for me. Didn't enjoy it one bit - but I also don't particularly enjoy Silent Night as a song anyway so it started off badly. Really boring cover I thought, doesn't bring anythign exciting to the song and didn't really think the voices were all that great either?? Wasn't for me.

Sorry you feel that way JGF. I think it's an absolutely beautiful piece of music. So pure and transcendent - I'm not religious, but it almost makes me wish I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Trigger wrote: »
    Looking at the top 10 here I do NOT feel confident for the rest of this competition :pac:

Wouldn't say I feel terribly optimistic myself!

When you thinking of round 2 JGF?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arghus wrote: »
    Wouldn't say I feel terribly optimistic myself!
    You have your own Walrus to put all the sombre and miserable songs in the top ten :D

Arghus wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way JGF. I think it's an absolutely beautiful piece of music. So pure and transcendent - I'm not religious, but it almost makes me wish I was.

Maybe I was bit harsh - a bit allergic to religious songs anyway from my schooldays which probably didn't help!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pretty happy with 11th place on this one, and since I'm not a fan of xmas songs I'll gladly take middle of the pack.

• Advertisement

...yet it beat three other songs :eek:

Yeah, the classical covers went straight to the bottom and I don't even want to talk about country Christmas!!

Advertisement