Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PC -pci graphics?

Options
  • 16-12-2020 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi
    I've an old core2duo machine with pci graphics

Will any PCI express card fit this or would I need an older type

Pc is about 12-14 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

PCI Express cards will not even fit into a PCI slot. However, you're likely to have a newer motherboard than you think. After PCI graphics, we had AGP graphics, and then PCIe graphics.

In the picture below you see an AGP slot and two PCI slots.

330px-AGP%2C_PCI%2C_CNR_Sockets_in_PCChips_M925LR_Motherboard.jpg

In this next picture, we have from top to bottom: PCIe 4x, PCIe 16x, PCIe 1x, PCIe 16x, and a regular PCI. The lengths are different and the notches inside the slots would prevent you from putting the wrong card into the slot.

330px-PCIExpress.jpg

Depending on which slot(s) your motherboard has, you will need an appropriate card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Henryq. wrote: »
    Hi
    I've an old core2duo machine with pci graphics

Will any PCI express card fit this or would I need an older type

Pc is about 12-14 years old

I built my first machine in 2005, an Athlon 64 with PCI express graphics slot. I had a Radeon x300 with 256. MB vram I think.

I think at the time it was version 1 of pci express. Are you looking to replace a card or is the slot empty? Best thing IMO is find the motherboard model and look up the manual online.

PciE also had backwards compatibility but I wouldn't spend money on something new that will be limited by the rest of your hardware. Find out what would have been the best card at the time and try find one on adverts or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Henryq. wrote: »
    Pc is about 12-14 years old e-waste

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it would be better to buy a more up to date pc on adverts.ie with a pci-express slot.
    a pc thats 14 years old is just about fast enough for basic web browsing.
    for it to be secure it would need to be updated to windows 10
    or else install linux mint on it.
    windows 7 is not secure, microsoft is not providing security updates for it.
    you could go to a random website and be infected by malware or spyware
    and not know it.
    i would not waste time buying a graphics cards for a 14 year old pc with windows 7 on it.
    i understand some companys are using windows 7 pcs ,cos for certain industrial devices or machines there are no windows 10 device drivers.
    They only work on windows 7 or maybe linux os.
    pci express slots are not the same size as an older pci graphics slot.

there may be no window s 10 software avaidable to control some
    old industrial machines .
    if you are using windows 7 do not use it to acess your bank accounts or to buy goods with a credit card .
    use the latest version of firefox and opera browsers.
    do not use internet explorer .

Advertisement