Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people struggle to lose body fat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

How do you feel mentally after intermittent fasting

Not directed at me but in my experience, fasting has shown me that I've been clouding my brain with constant meals my whole life. After a fast, my mental clarit is through the roof and I'm very relaxed. Anxiety gone and mood lifted.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

LOL....no. Wife is not impressed but you should see my running times so I don't care...:D

A lot bonier yes and trying to find 29/30 inch waist jeans/trousers is a bitch. TBH I could do with losing a few more pounds of fat. Trying to avoid muscle wastage is the big problem.

If your waist is 29/30 inches (at less than 11 stone 6lbs!) you are not 6% BF.

Tbh in my experience anyone who ever tells me they are single digits is being fanciful. By what method are you arriving at such a specific number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll get a lot of people saying it's all about calories in and calories out, which is of course the base of it all but they don't take into account the factors that make you take in more calories than you should.

You're talking about two separate things though.

It is all about calories.

Why people consume too many is a different issue. I'm not saying it isn't relevant but its different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Ladybook version: by eating carbs your body uses carbs. Excess carbs turn to fat. Basically the carbs mean the body never gets to touch the fat reserves so never budges. Ditch the carbs and the body starts using fat as a fuel.
    Those two parts in bold are not accurate.

Excess carbs rarely turn to fat. It's not efficient to do that.

And whether the body burns fat stores has nothing to so with the macro breakup of your food intake.

You can eat almost 100% carbs and burn body fat store.
    You could also eat 0% fat and not touch body fat.

There are benefits to reduce carb/keto style diets. But its not the reasons above.
    LOL....no. Wife is not impressed but you should see my running times so I don't care...:D

Curious how you established you were 6% also. No doubt you are lean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You're talking about two separate things though.

It is all about calories.

Why people consume too many is a different issue. I'm not saying it isn't relevant but its different.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I did say that calories in/out is the base of it all. People jump straight into counting calories only and don't address the reason for overconsumption. Someone with insulin resistance will more likely have better success eating 2000 Cals with a very limited amount of sugar within that compared to 2000 Cals with a load of starchy carbs within that. They'll reduce their cravings and potential for failure. On top of that, if they limit their window of eating, it'll have a positive effect on insulin too which all helps.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Omega28 wrote: »
    So much information to absorb from this - thanks to everyone who's responded.
    You pays your money, you take your choice. But there's an awful lot in this thread which has no proven, peer reviewed scientific backing. Particularly around Fasting, carbs and sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

JayRoc wrote: »

Tbh in my experience anyone who ever tells me they are single digits is being fanciful. By what method are you arriving at such a specific number?

No I am now 10st 4/5lbs. I am only repeating the results from my last assessment. It was carried out by a published sports scientist who also works with a number of premiership clubs carrying out similar assessments on Premierhsip footballers pre season. First assessment was in February and second end of July. In fact, at the July assessment I was given a strict running progreamme and I have lost weight since then. Still a bit to go but off season now so not too bothered. I'll have to check the official name of the method used.

Obviously from where you are sitting you are well able to carry out your own assessment on my body composition...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm 51 and weigh in at around 74 to 75kg (I weigh daily) I have some decent muscle (my own opinion) and carry weight on my stomach . I eat well, I train a LOT, weights in the gym and some cardio (a little) and in fairness I don't p1ss about in the gym either. I work hard as I have the mentality that I have made the effort to get up at 6 to go I should make it worth while....

But to get to the point in question, I hold steady a good chunk of fat on my stomach because I like to drink, I love a good beer and enjoy either GnT or Jameson and ginger.

I have long since realised this is why I don't lose too much body fat, when you have actually identified why you don't you learn to accept it or be miserable and stop the things you enjoy. (mmmm... beer)

Mellor wrote: »
    Those two parts in bold are not accurate.

Excess carbs rarely turn to fat. It's not efficient to do that.

So if you consume excess calories in the form of carbs over a period of time it does not turn to fat or rarely? So how do people get fat bearing in mind most people eat excess calories in the form of carbs? I am genuinely curious as that flies in the face of accepted nutritional dogma.
    And whether the body burns fat stores has nothing to so with the macro breakup of your food intake.

Well yes it does. What you consume on a daily basis dicates how the body processess and taps into its energy requriements. Whether or not the body starts to burn fat will depend on what you eat. If you eat 0% carbs for a week and just proteins and fats guaranteed you will lose fat (allowing also for the excess water lost through lack of carbs).

What you eat and how the body processes fat are not mutually exclusive.
    You can eat almost 100% carbs and burn body fat store.
    You could also eat 0% fat and not touch body fat.

That is a somewhat curious statement.

If you eat 100% carbs but not meet your daily calorie intake then of course the body will burn fat.

Consuming 0% fat and not touch body fat? There is no correlation between the consumption of fat and body fat if you are not exceeding your daily BMR.

If you were to eat 100% carbs you would hit your daily calorie intake pretty quickly. That is not sustainable or healthy. Also it is unrealistic or the reality of most people's everyday life and eating habits.

Nobody eats 100% carbs or 0% fat on a daily basis. The OP wants practical advice.
    There are benefits to reduce carb/keto style diets. But its not the reasons above.

Ok I am all ears. Please do share with us.

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »

At 80kg and 15% BF 32" jeans and chinos were hanging off me.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    You pays your money, you take your choice. But there's an awful lot in this thread which has no proven, peer reviewed scientific backing. Particularly around Fasting, carbs and sugar.

Think about it- is that really what the OP is looking for or why they posted here?

Rather than snerering at everyone else why not offer some practical advice or tips or even direct the OP to a 'peer reviewed scientific' paper...because that is exactly what the OP wants..:rolleyes: Otherwise you have have nothing to contribute.

This is an online forum full of anecdotal posts. That is the nature of the beast and if it vexes you that much go somewhere else for your own sanity at least. This is not the Harvard Medical Journal.

I have long since realised this is why I don't lose too much body fat, when you have actually identified why you don't you learn to accept it or be miserable and stop the things you enjoy. (mmmm... beer)

I think that is the reason a lot of people struggle to lose weight or get frustrated. They simple do not understand the root of the problem. Once identifed then it becomes a battle to decide it you have the will power to carry out the necessary changes and stick to it.

As you said, you have identified your consumption of beer and you can live with that. You also have the benefit of knowing that if you really want to lose the excess stomach fat then dropping beer is a first step.

Stomach and back fat (love handles) is notoriously hard to shift even for the most dedicated gym bunny. The body clings on to it for dear life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Obviously from where you are sitting you are well able to carry out your own assessment on my body composition...;)

I'm not having a go, it sounds like you are doing fine if your running times etc have improved.

From where I am sitting the only information I have is what you have given us; that you are 29/30 inches at your waist, at a weight of 10 stone 5.

That means you aren't 6% BF.

But if you have the results you wanted who cares.

No I am now 10st 4/5lbs. I am only repeating the results from my last assessment. It was carried out by a published sports scientist who also works with a number of premiership clubs carrying out similar assessments on Premierhsip footballers pre season.

FWIW, I think he meant what method did he use to determine your BF%>

So if you consume excess calories in the form of carbs over a period of time it does not turn to fat or rarely? So how do people get fat bearing in mind most people eat excess calories in the form of carbs? I am genuinely curious as that flies in the face of accepted nutritional dogma.

It flies in the face of what people assume and repeat without thinking about the process. It doesn't counter actual science of human biolodgy.

Let's say my BMR is 2700. And each day 2700 calories in a 40/30/30 split.
    That's 1080 carbs, 810 each of fat and protein.

Then say for a month, I eat an extra 500 cals of carbs everyday? And still burn 2700. What do you think happens?

Well yes it does. What you consume on a daily basis dicates how the body processess and taps into its energy requriements. Whether or not the body starts to burn fat will depend on what you eat. If you eat 0% carbs for a week and just proteins and fats guaranteed you will lose fat (allowing also for the excess water lost through lack of carbs)

What you eat and how the body processes fat are not mutually exclusive.

So you are saying, If I eat 8000cals a day of mostly fat and protein. I will burn body fat? Even If I'm burning under 2700cal? Where is the extra 5500+ cals going?

What you eat overall determines how the body process fat. Overall includes total energy.

That is a somewhat curious statement.

If you eat 100% carbs but not meet your daily calorie intake then of course the body will burn fat.

Consuming 0% fat and not touch body fat? There is no correlation between the consumption of fat and body fat if you are not exceeding your daily BMR.

In both statements you had to add a qualifier about energy needs. I had no such qualifier. You are precisely confirming my point. whether you burn body fat or gain body fat is dictated by total energy intake. All options exists for all macro splits.

If you were to eat 100% carbs you would hit your daily calorie intake pretty quickly. That is not sustainable or healthy. Also it is unrealistic or the reality of most people's everyday life and eating habits.

Nobody eats 100% carbs or 0% fat on a daily basis. The OP wants practical advice.
    I was using the that as an example to highlight how your previous claims were incorrect. I though it was obvious that I wasn't actually suggesting anyone eats 100% or 0% of anything.

I'm not sure why you think you'd hit daily calorie intake quickly on 100% carbs. That would be 3.5kg of potato. Or 2kg of cooked rice. Would be tough to get through that, let along quickly.

Ok I am all ears. Please do share with us.

Carb is a macro that predominantly provides energy, and acts as a filler in meals. Removing carbs often means it is replaced with low energy filler like leafy and non-starchy veg. The combine effect of these mean that meals tend to be lower energy.
    Protein, and fat (when consumed without carbs) tend to be highly satiating. You fell more satisfied from meals, or as satisfied food. This means that there are less unwanted snacking, or unplanned hunger.
    Fat is also a huge contribute to flavour. Tasty food is better than bland food.

All of that equates to a low energy diet, than is enjoyable, and satisfying. Which is a good mix for diet adherence and consistency - prerequisites for losing weight.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I did say that calories in/out is the base of it all. People jump straight into counting calories only and don't address the reason for overconsumption. Someone with insulin resistance will more likely have better success eating 2000 Cals with a very limited amount of sugar within that compared to 2000 Cals with a load of starchy carbs within that. They'll reduce their cravings and potential for failure. On top of that, if they limit their window of eating, it'll have a positive effect on insulin too which all helps.

The problem is that the vast majority get confused by talk of insulin resistance etc etc when they really just need to manage their calories. If that actualy doesn't work, then look deeper.

But what you'll often see happening is someone gets overwhelmed with different 'science' presented and end up doing nothing rather than just going with the relatively simple approach that will work for the vast majority of people that lose weight.

As an aside, that's not disagreeing with the issues around why they eat too much but it's a different problem is all and it could be a whole host of physical and/or emotional reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sugar is everywhere and is not the necessarily the evil which I think you are hoping I am inferring. I don't have a sweet tooth and never been one to add sugar or even eat sweets growing up. Excess sugar sure like any excess is bad. I eat a lot of fruit- packed with sugar.

In my experience there is a massive difference between naturally occurring sugar in whole foods and processed sugar added to foods. I was borderline obese when I turned 39. As that year went on, I had the feeling that however I was when I turned 40 would dictate how I was for the rest of my life. The first thing I did was quit processed sugar. It was insanely hard for the first week or so, I experienced days of migraines and then either coincidentally contracted a bad tummy bug or the change in diet really upset my digestive tract. Once those first few weeks passed however, my whole relationship with food changed. I was less hungry, less inclined to desire simple carbohydrate heavy meals. When I did experience hunger, even the sensation of it changed from an unpleasant craving for food, to a healthy, genuinely enjoyable, feeling of an empty stomach that would like food at some point in the nearish future. I have a history of teetering on the edge of low blood pressure and hunger had always been dangerous, causing my blood sugars and pressure to crash, causing headaches, faint-feelings and sometimes actual fainting. But once I quit processed sugar and naturally decreased my intake of carbs all that disappeared.

I never quit fruit though. I do have a sweet tooth and probably wouldn't have managed to quit sugar without eating fruit. In all honesty my fruit intake increased when I quite sugar. But my weight steadily decreased and I was a very healthy weight before I turned 40. That was with no particular exercise. I do eat things with processed sugar now and I know that the more sugar I eat, the more I start to crave it. The more bad hunger I feel, the more I start to slide towards unhealthy foods. I don't really put on much weight with it now as I am very fit and exercise a huge amount, but I know I'm prone to sugar addiction, so every so often I quit it for a month or so and reset how I react to it.

In all honesty, something that makes it harder to quit is how anti-social it is considered to be. Rejecting a slice of cake or a biscuit or not wanting dessert after a meal, is so often treated as a rejection of the person. I don't drink very much alcohol and have been used to that reaction all my adult life when I'm not drinking, but I didn't expect it for sugar. Yet a surprisingly large amount of people really do find it personally insulting or a cause of deep concern if you don't want sugary foods.

FWIW, I think he meant what method did he use to determine your BF%>

Yeah I realise that. If you had continued to read my post I said I would have to be back and check the name of the method he used. I have the print offs at home.
    It flies in the face of what people assume and repeat without thinking about the process. It doesn't counter actual science of human biolodgy.

Let's say my BMR is 2700. And each day 2700 calories in a 40/30/30 split.
    That's 1080 carbs, 810 each of fat and protein.

Then say for a month, I eat an extra 500 cals of carbs everyday? And still burn 2700. What do you think happens?

You gain weight but that is a given. The overwhelming number of people out are overweight because they consume too many calories in the form of carbs (not fats or protein). I have posted that several times.

Most people do not appreciate this and not helped by the 'fat = bad' industry.
    So you are saying, If I eat 8000cals a day of mostly fat and protein. I will burn body fat? Even If I'm burning under 2700cal? Where is the extra 5500+ cals going?

What you eat overall determines how the body process fat. Overall includes total energy.

No I did not say that. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Now you have moved the goal posts and come out with a ludicrous 8000 cals in fats and proteins. It all comes down to your energy requirements which I have already said and you have repeated so I am not sure what exactly you are arguing. Unless you are Tom Crean hiking through the Antarctic you are never going to eat 8000 cals in fats and protein.

Again, it would be useful if you would stick to real life practical advice and tips.
    In both statements you had to add a qualifier about energy needs. I had no such qualifier. You are precisely confirming my point. whether you burn body fat or gain body fat is dictated by total energy intake. All options exists for all macro splits.

You posted a short vague statment. My 'qualifier' was pointing out the obvious energy requirements which is a given. So I specificially highlighted energy requirements, you have agreed with it so what exactly is your point save to highlight that you agree with me? Seems a tad pointless.
    I was using the that as an example to highlight how your previous claims were incorrect. I though it was obvious that I wasn't actually suggesting anyone eats 100% or 0% of anything.

Then why would you suggest it then? I'm afraid the brevity and vagueness of your posts does not help.
    I'm not sure why you think you'd hit daily calorie intake quickly on 100% carbs. That would be 3.5kg of potato. Or 2kg of cooked rice. Would be tough to get through that, let along quickly.

Again you pick ludicrous examples following on from something you didnt really mean to suggest at all. Let's try to deal with real world practical advice.
    Carb is a macro that predominantly provides energy, and acts as a filler in meals. Removing carbs often means it is replaced with low energy filler like leafy and non-starchy veg. The combine effect of these mean that meals tend to be lower energy.
    Protein, and fat (when consumed without carbs) tend to be highly satiating. You fell more satisfied from meals, or as satisfied food. This means that there are less unwanted snacking, or unplanned hunger.
    Fat is also a huge contribute to flavour. Tasty food is better than bland food.

All of that equates to a low energy diet, than is enjoyable, and satisfying. Which is a good mix for diet adherence and consistency - prerequisites for losing weight.

Is that it?

I am disappointed as I was half expecting some ground breaking revelation. There is nothing new there. You can pull that off any dieting website in 5 seconds flat. Do you honestly think any of that is news to me?

This is an online forum. You will have to forgive the brevity and for not snowballing into a comprehensive treatise on macros. Short snappy points and know your audience I always say.

Think about it- is that really what the OP is looking for or why they posted here?

Rather than snerering at everyone else why not offer some practical advice or tips or even direct the OP to a 'peer reviewed scientific' paper...because that is exactly what the OP wants..:rolleyes: Otherwise you have have nothing to contribute.

This is an online forum full of anecdotal posts. That is the nature of the beast and if it vexes you that much go somewhere else for your own sanity at least. This is not the Harvard Medical Journal.
    I did, on page 1. It just got buried under BS...
    Intermittent fasting is just a method of being in calorie deficit. There's no proven addition benefits to that method (there's some interesting research of "suggested" benefits, but not peer reviewed science, and not related to losing weight).

Any change in diet, whether to be in deficit or in maintenance, has to be sustainable for you.

I tried IF, for the other potential benefits, but I got too hangry and it wasn't sustainable for me. What worked for me was working out my TDEE, working out my deficit, and tracking calories.

Basically, it doesn't matter how you achieve a deficit.

If you're on social media Ben Carpenter dissects the science from the myths well (in as not as heavy a form as Danny Lennon/ Sigma Nutrition), The Fitness Chef is good for easy calorie saving swaps, and comparing options. Obviously, those come with the bias of what worked for me, and science!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

So much information to absorb from this - thanks to everyone who's responded.

I'm not cycling these days so the only cardio I'm doing is the treadmill but primarily focused on lifting weights for now.

I was 80kg in October 2018 but since taking a max dose of anti depressants, which is rarely prescribed, I'm now 99/100kg. I mentioned this to my medical team but they said my weight gain has nothing to do with the medication.

I go the gym daily and I cycle/walk everywhere. I'm 33 and only in the last year or so I've been eating all this food. I don't smoke or even drink.
    My mind is constantly absorbed with thoughts of food and how to lose weight but nothing budges on the scales.

Maybe it is binge eating. I could easily eat beyond 6000 calories. Sometimes I feel like a bottomless pit. I eat without thinking.

So, I'm going to try and do what others have suggested here and try restrict my calorie intake and enjoy the hunger. I'll also try not to buy the chocolate, jellies and bring them home.

I'm not physically inactive. I just battle terribly with food.

I would focus on the mental health side of things given what you have posted.

Consciously you know what to eat but the urges to eat/over eat are almost entirely driven by the subconscious mind.

I would challenge your medical team to assist around your compulsive type eating. Simple CBT techniques, for example, used under professional guidance "might" help in getting some control over your own mind.

Best of luck

Yeah I realise that. If you had continued to read my post I said I would have to be back and check the name of the method he used. I have the print offs at home.
    I think the presumption was that you were present and would remember how it was done.
    You gain weight but that is a given. The overwhelming number of people out are overweight because they consume too many calories in the form of carbs (not fats or protein). I have posted that several times.
    Yes, weight gain is a given.
    The question was what do you think happens to the excess carbs specifically.
    Remember the question was about “carbs turn to fat”. Now that’s clear, what do you think happens to the excess carbs in that example.
    No I did not say that. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Now you have moved the goal posts and come out with a ludicrous 8000 cals in fats and proteins. It all comes down to your energy requirements which I have already said and you have repeated so I am not sure what exactly you are arguing. Unless you are Tom Crean hiking through the Antarctic you are never going to eat 8000 cals in fats and protein.
    I haven’t moved any goal posts.
    You literally said if you eat no carbs you are guaranteed to lose weight. Guaranteed. That’s is incorrect, and I gave an example that proves it is incorrect.
    That specific number is irrelevant, change 8000 to 3000 and it’s still incorrect.
    Again, it would be useful if you would stick to real life practical advice and tips.
    I’m not giving advice or tips. I’m calling out misinformation.
    You asked me to explain why you were wrong, I’m using outlier examples because they are clear and simple.
    You posted a short vague statment. My 'qualifier' was pointing out the obvious energy requirements which is a given. So I specificially highlighted energy requirements, you have agreed with it so what exactly is your point save to highlight that you agree with me? Seems a tad pointless.
    The point is that energy intake is the decider. That’s essentially solely what dictates weight gain or loss. Not carbs or fat. Which was what you claimed. We’ve now established that was wrong.

So we’re clear, you agree it’s decided by calories, not macros. Thanks.
    Then why would you suggest it then? I'm afraid the brevity and vagueness of your posts does not help.
    Purely to prove your earlier claims were false.
    I don’t think I said anything vague, it’s was all quite specific.
    Again you pick ludicrous examples following on from something you didnt really mean to suggest at all. Let's try to deal with real world practical advice.
    You said you’d eat 100% in carbs quickly. Your words not mine. I was highlighting how much food that is.
    Examples are ludicrous because your statements are ludicrous and contrary to basic science.
    Is that it?

I am disappointed as I was half expecting some ground breaking revelation. There is nothing new there. You can pull that off any dieting website in 5 seconds flat. Do you honestly think any of that is news to me?
    Where did I suggest it was anything new or ground breaking?
    I said there were actual benefits, but it was not the marketing nonsense you posted. TBH it doesn’t matter whether it’s news to you or not. Because regardless of what you knew, it’s not what you claimed previously.

• Advertisement

I think the presumption was that you were present and would remember how it was done.

You didn't read my post properly.
    I haven’t moved any goal posts.
    You literally said if you eat no carbs you are guaranteed to lose weight. Guaranteed. That’s is incorrect, and I gave an example that proves it is incorrect.
    That specific number is irrelevant, change 8000 to 3000 and it’s still incorrect.

No you did not give an example. You put forward a quite ludirous postion of eating 0% carbs or 100% carbs. That is not helpful or practical.

So let us all go for the next 5 days and eat no carbs. No person will lose weight. We both know that is pure bollocks because nobody is going to embark on that nonsense or make up the calorie deficit with fats and proteins which is no doubt your own qualifier which we must second guess.

Live in the real world.
    I’m not giving advice or tips. I’m calling out misinformation.
    You asked me to explain why you were wrong, I’m using outlier examples because they are clear and simple.

Call out misinformaion all day long but at least have the good grace to put forward your suggestions (which I have not seen) rather than impractical theory.
    The point is that energy intake is the decider. That’s essentially solely what dictates weight gain or loss. Not carbs or fat. Which was what you claimed. We’ve now established that was wrong.

So we’re clear, you agree it’s decided by calories, not macros. Thanks.

Excess caloires = weight gain and for the vast majoirty of people these excess calories are in the from of carbs. Am I wrong?

I have made that very point consistently starting at #20. I am not sure why choose to twist it around. I can only conclude that you have not read previous posts or made 'presumptions'.

Purely to prove your earlier claims were false.
    I don’t think I said anything vague, it’s was all quite specific.

What have you claimed is wrong?
    You said you’d eat 100% in carbs quickly. Your words not mine. I was highlighting how much food that is.
    Examples are ludicrous because your statements are ludicrous and contrary to basic science.

Say 2000 calorie daily requriement which equates to roughly 500 grams of carbs (1 carb = 4 cal).

Breakfast

90g serving of Alpen = 90g
    Cup of milk = 12g
    Slice of toast (x2) = 40g
    Jam (2 tbls) = 28g
    tea and milk = 3g

Total = 173g

Snacks

Pint of Heineken = 44g (fill your boots on quantity but lets say 4 x 11g)
    Several handul of roasted nuts= 10g
    Digestive Biscuits (x6) = 55.8g
    100g banana (x2) = 46g
    Mars Bar = 35.3g
    Packet of Hunky Dory = 25g

Total = 216.1

Dinner

Mashed Potato (400g) = 60g
    Mashed carrot (250) = 10g
    Lean meat = 0 carbs

Total = 70

That is 459g of carbs right there without too much effort. Throw in a few more drinks, maybe a few biscuits, extra portion of mash, maybe a burger after the pub and the 500g is well exceeded. No need 3.5kg of potato or a mountain of rice as your suggested.
    Where did I suggest it was anything new or ground breaking?
    I said there were actual benefits, but it was not the marketing nonsense you posted. TBH it doesn’t matter whether it’s news to you or not. Because regardless of what you knew, it’s not what you claimed previously.

There you go again. You keep claiming to rebut claims that I have not made either by completely ignoring my posts or just misreading them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I would focus on the mental health side of things given what you have posted.

Consciously you know what to eat but the urges to eat/over eat are almost entirely driven by the subconscious mind.

I would challenge your medical team to assist around your compulsive type eating. Simple CBT techniques, for example, used under professional guidance "might" help in getting some control over your own mind.

Best of luck

Thanks very much.

I know what to eat alright but I can't control the urge to say no to food. I'm very disappointed in myself every day that I can't control myself.

Exercise? No problem, I can do that all day. I'm not physically inactive. Nutrition? I have a good idea what to eat but just can't control it all.

I'm 99/100kg and quite concerned for my own health in case it keeps getting higher.

I got a blood test last week and doc said all blood work is good.

Thanks very much.

I know what to eat alright but I can't control the urge to say no to food. I'm very disappointed in myself every day that I can't control myself.

Exercise? No problem, I can do that all day. I'm not physically inactive. Nutrition? I have a good idea what to eat but just can't control it all.

I'm 99/100kg and quite concerned for my own health in case it keeps getting higher.

I got a blood test last week and doc said all blood work is good.

I do think the poster was right insofar as there seems to have been a shift in your ability to control what you eat when you went on the meds.

I would look at addressing that because knowing what to do and being able to do it are different things and they certainly are for you right now.

CBT might be an option but I would bring it up with the doctor who prescribed the meds first and discuss the options.

You didn't read my post properly.
    Whenever this guy measured your body fat. You were present right? We are asking how it was measured?
    This should not be a difficult question.
    No you did not give an example. You put forward a quite ludirous postion of eating 0% carbs or 100% carbs. That is not helpful or practical.

So let us all go for the next 5 days and eat no carbs. No person will lose weight. We both know that is pure bollocks because nobody is going to embark on that nonsense or make up the calorie deficit with fats and proteins which is no doubt your own qualifier which we must second guess.

Live in the real world.
    Extreme or not it was an example. It’s not difficult to understand.

If you eat 3000 cals of fat/protein day, and burn 2500. You will not lose weight guaranteed, as you claimed.
    Real world. Claim is incorrect.

Call out misinformaion all day long but at least have the good grace to put forward your suggestions (which I have not seen) rather than impractical theory.
    There’s plenty of good advice here. I don’t feel like adding to it. Pointing out the incorrect posts is a benefit to others.
    Excess caloires = weight gain and for the vast majoirty of people these excess calories are in the from of carbs. Am I wrong?

I have made that very point consistently starting at #20. I am not sure why choose to twist it around. I can only conclude that you have not read previous posts or made 'presumptions'.
    In previous posts you claimed differently. Attributing it to carb intake.
    My counter was that it was energy not macros that decides.

You can eat low carb and gain weight. Weight loss is not guaranteed.
    What have you claimed is wrong?
    See my first post. Literally highlight two incorrect points in your post.
    You haven’t answered what happens to the 500 excess carbs question btw. It should be obvious, but it doesn’t turn to fat - which is what you asked.
    Say 2000 calorie daily requriement which equates to roughly 500 grams of carbs (1 carb = 4 cal).

Breakfast

90g serving of Alpen = 90g
    Cup of milk = 12g
    Slice of toast (x2) = 40g
    Jam (2 tbls) = 28g
    tea and milk = 3g

Total = 173g

Snacks

Pint of Heineken = 44g (fill your boots on quantity but lets say 4 x 11g)
    Several handul of roasted nuts= 10g
    Digestive Biscuits (x6) = 55.8g
    100g banana (x2) = 46g
    Mars Bar = 35.3g
    Packet of Hunky Dory = 25g

Total = 216.1

Dinner

Mashed Potato (400g) = 60g
    Mashed carrot (250) = 10g
    Lean meat = 0 carbs

Total = 70

That is 459g of carbs right there without too much effort. Throw in a few more drinks, maybe a few biscuits, extra portion of mash, maybe a burger after the pub and the 500g is well exceeded. No need 3.5kg of potato or a mountain of rice as your suggested.
    That example diet isn’t 100% carbs. And full grown man burns more than 2000 calories btw.

And besides still that looks like a full days eating, not some thing you’d get through “quickly”.

The point being it’s very hard to over eat on carbs alone. It’s very hard to overeat on fat alone. But combined it’s piss easy. Could do 2500 in a single meal. Looking at macros together is much better than demonising one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

iguana wrote: »
    I do eat things with processed sugar now and I know that the more sugar I eat, the more I start to crave it... so every so often I quit it for a month or so and reset how I react to it.

Body fat is hard to lose as regardless of how great your exercise and diet is sugar, fast food and alcohol can all taste amazing and calories build up fast. During the week i tell myself I'll have a sugary treat at the weekend and this works as a way to easily avoid sugar that day but when sat comes and i have a bit of choc.. then 30 mins later i find it impossible to say no to more sugar.. it can be a slippery slope. Id love to try going no sugar for 30 days or so but when someone puts sugar right in front of me its impossible to say no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The mental well being pillar of health is so often overlooked. It can seem productive to focus on Nutrition and exercise, but addressing the "Why" component can yield so much more "bang for your buck".

The OP has mentioned several red flags that should be the immediate priority

"I know what to eat alright but I can't control the urge to say no to food. I'm very disappointed in myself every day that I can't control myself."

"since taking a max dose of anti depressants, which is rarely prescribed, I'm now 99/100kg. I mentioned this to my medical team but they said my weight gain has nothing to do with the medication."

"Maybe it is binge eating. I could easily eat beyond 6000 calories. Sometimes I feel like a bottomless pit. I eat without thinking."

I just battle terribly with food.

Its easy to fool yourself looking for magic diets and workout routines, but the hard work is the often addressing the underlying reasons, discipline, and consistency.

“If all it took was knowledge, we’d all be billionaires with six-pack abs.”

In other words, what you know means jack **** compared to what you actually do every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm 51 and weigh in at around 74 to 75kg (I weigh daily) I have some decent muscle (my own opinion) and carry weight on my stomach . I eat well, I train a LOT, weights in the gym and some cardio (a little) and in fairness I don't p1ss about in the gym either. I work hard as I have the mentality that I have made the effort to get up at 6 to go I should make it worth while....

But to get to the point in question, I hold steady a good chunk of fat on my stomach because I like to drink, I love a good beer and enjoy either GnT or Jameson and ginger.

i'm 43 and my weakness is the same - fat on the belly where everywhere else is ok . Beer is the main culprit as i'm generally ok with diet
    i've had recent success though with 2 changes implemented in June due to the weight I put on in the first lockdown (where I lost the run of myself on all the fine things in life)

First -
    I eat more protein than i did - still 3 meals a day and sat night has been sessions upon sessions.

i've noticed I respond well to high protein and that the cals in / cals out rule (regardless of source) while correct is too simple as it glosses over the fact that what goes in does effect what goes out i.e. the equation changes.

What that means is that I can eat about 2500cals of whatever I want and maintain. But if I was focusing on protein and quality nutrition I could eat more say 2800 and maintain. I have measured this with myself in the past.

To this end I alternate (90% of the time) between eggs (2 eggs plus 200ml egg white) ,toast and butter and fat free greek yoghurt (500ml) mixed with peanut butter , fruit and whey for breakfast and the other lunch and dinner is what my wife makes.
    Weekends are a bit more random.

Second change is weight training dropped to 3 days a week - Doggcrapp style . 2 days cardio - which is mixed depends on my mood usually 30-40mins. Prob did 4-5 days weights and 1-2 cardio before

Finally I think wfh due to covid has meant less public transport/timetable & weather hassle so less on the go means less hassle which defo helps cortisol wise.

Anyway oddly despite my booze and partying skyrocketing this year compared to previously - I'm in better nick now than I was in 2019 where I was pretty serious about training/diet and also me putting on a heap during first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

what height are u

OP here, thanks again to everyone.

I decided to write down what I ate today, hopefully someone can share some advice/opinion.

Breakfast:

Oats with Berries (approx. 120-150g of dried oats)

Lunch:

Turkey/Cheese Sandwich on brown bread
    Tesco Soup (400g)
    2 x brown bread
    Protein Milk (Avonmore)

Snack 1:

Apple
    Banana
    Nuts
    Jellies (like 10)

Snack 2:
    Protein bar
    Nature Valley bar
    Orange
    Pear

Dinner:

2 x large salmon darnes
    Bag of cooked rice
    Half plate of veggies
    Glass of milk

After Dinner Snacks/bits:

Yogurt
    3 x chocolate rice cakes
    Large share bar of choclate (Cadbury's)
    3-4 slices of toast
    2-3 glasses of milk

Drink:

Water (2-3L)

Activity:

Gym (1hr strength training)
    Spin (40 mins)
    Walk the dog around park (3km)

Like I've said in my previous posts, I'm not happy that I'm eating so much, especially the junk food. I know it's not good for me but I just can't control myself around food.

I tell myself I will not eat like this tomorrow but it never changes. I have a lot of food thoughts throughout the day, I also feel a lot of guilt for eating, especially the junk food. I also eat very rapidly, I'm like a hoover, I just inhale it. To gain 21kg in 14 months doesn't seem normal to me, which puts me with a BMI of 29.9.

I need to learn some control, discipline and what's creating this type of eating because it's out of control and it scares me.

Talk to the doctor given the change since the meds.

Keep a lot of that junk out of the house. Make bingeing more difficult.

• Advertisement

I decided to write down what I ate today, hopefully someone can share some advice/opinion.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Tesco Soup (400g)
    2 x brown bread
    Protein Milk (Avonmore)

Snack 1:

Apple
    Banana
    Nuts
    Jellies (like 10)

Snack 2:
    Protein bar
    Nature Valley bar
    Orange
    Pear

Dinner:

2 x large salmon darnes
    Bag of cooked rice
    Half plate of veggies
    Glass of milk

Yogurt
    3 x chocolate rice cakes
    3-4 slices of toast
    2-3 glasses of milk

Drink:

Water (2-3L)

Activity:

Gym (1hr strength training)
    Spin (40 mins)
    Walk the dog around park (3km)

Like I've said in my previous posts, I'm not happy that I'm eating so much, especially the junk food. I know it's not good for me but I just can't control myself around food.

I tell myself I will not eat like this tomorrow but it never changes. I have a lot of food thoughts throughout the day, I also feel a lot of guilt for eating, especially the junk food. I also eat very rapidly, I'm like a hoover, I just inhale it. To gain 21kg in 14 months doesn't seem normal to me, which puts me with a BMI of 29.9.

I need to learn some control, discipline and what's creating this type of eating because it's out of control and it scares me.

Getting in more veg is a great way of working with a large appetite - Lots of volume and low calories.

Good news is that you've shown a huge amount of self-awareness in your posts. You've pretty much answered all of your own questions by identifying where the weak points and issues are with binge eating and foods that are not supporting your goal.

You're already on the right path by starting to track so just take it one step at a time and making the choice that's going to take you one step closer to where you want to be at every available opportunity. More power to you OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I suppose a good piece of advice I can give is to never eat or drink anything sweet during or after food. Even low calorie drinks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

I would always advise anyone struggling with a belly to do your full bloods with the GP. Have been exercising for 6 years with a personal trainer 5-6 days a week, trying different dieting options and always had a bit of a flabby belly with between 18-20% body fat.

Through a check up and a blood test found out i had the beginnings of an underactive thyroid that I've been trying to out-exercise, while starving my body of nutrients. Once i got my meds right weight fell off me. Keeping relatively trim now with half the effort in the gym.

About 5-6% of the population have issues with thyroid and 60% of people that have it aren't aware of it. Usually accompanied by a slightly elevated cholesterol, which GPs sometimes associate incorrectly with a bad diet rather than endocrinology issues.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Tesco Soup (400g)
    2 x brown bread
    Protein Milk (Avonmore)

Snack 1:

Apple
    Banana
    Nuts
    Jellies (like 10)

Snack 2:
    Protein bar
    Nature Valley bar
    Orange
    Pear

Dinner:

2 x large salmon darnes
    Bag of cooked rice
    Half plate of veggies
    Glass of milk

Yogurt
    3 x chocolate rice cakes
    3-4 slices of toast
    2-3 glasses of milk

Drink:

Water (2-3L)

Breakfast:
    There's nothing inherently bad about oats and berries. But that's a huge portion. About double a normal large portion, and 5x the suggestion portion size.

Lunch:
    A sandwich is a lunch. Soup and bread is a lunch. Having both is two lunches.
    Protein milk is adding nothing other than calories at this point.

Snack 1:
    Any one of those things is a snack, two at a push.
    Having 4 is a meal.

Snack 2:
    Ditto

Dinner:
    Salmon is amazing, but high energy. That looks like two portions plus sides.

After Dinner Snacks:
    At least a meal worth of eating there.

Water:
    Good but drink more.

The issue is definitely the quantity of food. Around 9 "meals" there when you should be eating 4 or 5 - (Meals being somewhat rough unit of measurement). Without adding anything up, there could easily be 5000 calories there, maybe more.

Sure, there's a bit too much junk there, but over all, most excess calories are from the real food. The protein bars, protein drinks, rice cakes, are useful snacks instead of junk. Adding them on top of a full intake is not helpful.

A typical day should be half of all of that. Make an effort to limit you portion sizes and limit you snacks to two items. It's often habitual rather than hunger. If you just grab four items for a snack, you can finish the last before the first has let your brain know to end the hunger. Same with double portions.

Also, drink more water and less milk.

Dinner:
    If it's a microwave rice "bag", that's probably two portions as well. At least the pouches I've used.

Breakfast:
    There's nothing inherently bad about oats and berries. But that's a huge portion. About double a normal large portion, and 5x the suggestion portion size.

Lunch:
    A sandwich is a lunch. Soup and bread is a lunch. Having both is two lunches.
    Protein milk is adding nothing other than calories at this point.

Snack 1:
    Any one of those things is a snack, two at a push.
    Having 4 is a meal.

Snack 2:
    Ditto

Dinner:

After Dinner Snacks:
    At least a meal worth of eating there.

Water:
    Good but drink more.

The issue is definitely the quantity of food. Around 9 "meals" there when you should be eating 4 or 5 - (Meals being somewhat rough unit of measurement). Without adding anything up, there could easily be 5000 calories there, maybe more.

Sure, there's a bit too much junk there, but over all, most excess calories are from the real food. The protein bars, protein drinks, rice cakes, are useful snacks instead of junk. Adding them on top of a full intake is not helpful.

A typical day should be half of all of that. Make an effort to limit you portion sizes and limit you snacks to two items. It's often habitual rather than hunger. If you just grab four items for a snack, you can finish the last before the first has let your brain know to end the hunger. Same with double portions.

Also, drink more water and less milk.

How many litres of water should I be consuming so? I thought 2-3 would be loads.

I know it's not my exercise regime or lack of activity that's causing my weight problem, it's my diet. I know it's a huge amount of food and I know it's not good for me or a normal amount of food but I seem to be constantly hungry, tired/lacking energy/weak etc...

If it's a microwave rice "bag", that's probably two portions as well. At least the pouches I've used.

Correct. It's two portions.

Yeah, I was assume it was two portions of rice, two darnes and a double/large serve of veg to literally be two dinner "meals".
    How many litres of water should I be consuming so? I thought 2-3 would be loads.

I know it's not my exercise regime or lack of activity that's causing my weight problem, it's my diet. I know it's a huge amount of food and I know it's not good for me or a normal amount of food but I seem to be constantly hungry, tired/lacking energy/weak etc...
    2-3 is not bad. Especially in winter. 4 or 5 would be better.
    Extra water could help replace some calories too. For a start the 1-1.5l of milk would knock off some cals.

Def not the exercise, that looks good. Obviously its hard if you are constantly hungry but eating large amounts doesn't seam to be helping. So might be good to revisit the medical/health side and get some bloods tests or just talk to your doctor.

................. I seem to be constantly hungry, tired/lacking energy/weak etc...

Using the evidence so far that eating doesn't help with any of that. Munch on a few chopped up carrots instead of junk food and see can you manage that. It's not easy to change habits but it's doable. Accept it's not easy and keep trying is the only way.

• Advertisement

Eat one meal a day. Maximum of 2. Your body doesn't need a lot of food and can happily go without for days.

Unfortunately to lose weight you need to eat less than you are eating.. a lot less. You are seriously overeating.

I myself eat your dinner per day and that's all I eat. I also run 100Km a week on top of that.

Just eat a dinner for 2 or 3 weeks and you'll reduce the size of your appetite. Also remove all sugar for a few weeks and you'll end up not missing it. Do not buy all those snacks, do not have them in the house.

Accept setbacks happen, but don't allow for them in your plan, otherwise they'll become the norm.

There's a certain amount of stoicism required to lose weight, without self control and a genuine desire to lose weight, you will not lose weight.

I burn about 7K calories in exercise per week. That's about 2.5 takeaways meals. When you put in 1.5 to 2 hours a day to burn those calories, you'll soon stop sabotaging yourself because of the effort involved.

I can tell you one thing, no takeaway or snack is worth the effort it takes to burn it off.

I try tell myself I won't die if I don't eat that chocolate bar nut it's no good, I keep going for it in a state of anxiety without thinking of the calories.

I'd love to go cold turkey and stop eating the junk food all together but it's not just the junk food. Yesterday, I had 9 slices of bread and almost 3 litres of milk on top of everything else. I weighed myself today at 100kg so I did my strenght workout plus 1 hr incline walking on the treadmill (15% Gradient/5kmh) burning 1000 calories and the sweat was pouring heavily.

I try tell myself I won't die if I don't eat that chocolate bar nut it's no good, I keep going for it in a state of anxiety without thinking of the calories.

I'd love to go cold turkey and stop eating the junk food all together but it's not just the junk food. Yesterday, I had 9 slices of bread and almost 3 litres of milk on top of everything else. I weighed myself today at 100kg so I did my strenght workout plus 1 hr incline walking on the treadmill (15% Gradient/5kmh) burning 1000 calories and the sweat was pouring heavily.

At some stage, you'll need to put up or shut up. No amount of forum posts will stop you from eating too much. Only you can do that. I know it's hard to do, but you really have only 2 choices: Be fat or be thin.

Trust me the first time you can clip your toenails without popping a rib will be a great experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Honestly, seems you should be looking for professional help with your eating habits (and I don't mean a nutritionist or dietitian... I mean the behavioural element). I don’t think your problem is a lack of knowledge.

You seem like someone who could benefit from some kind of structured, professional assistance. Maybe counselling or similar would be a relief to you.

Good luck.

...... I weighed myself today at 100kg so I did my strenght workout............

What sort of strength training do you do ?

1000 calories burnt would look after the bread but there's 1800 calories in the 3 litres of milk unless it was skimmed.

Augeo wrote: »
    What sort of strength training do you do ?

1000 calories burnt would look after the bread but there's 1800 calories in the 3 litres of milk unless it was skimmed.

As others have said, best to check with a professional to figure it out.

Going down the road of trying to out-train a bad diet won't end well.

Even Marcus Aurelius—a guy who literally ruled the world—said: “Don’t be ashamed of needing help. You have a duty to fulfill just like a soldier on the wall of battle. So what if you are injured and can’t climb up without another soldier’s help?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

It really feels like we overcomplicate things to make us feel better about failing on them, it's very much a story of tracking your calories and exercising, with the emphasis on calories.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Patsy167 wrote: »

Going down the road of trying to out-train a bad diet won't end well. .............

Indeed, I said the following in one of the first replies to the OP
    Augeo wrote: »
    To lose bodyfat you'd need to be eating under 3000 kcals/day.
    You're carrying at least 10kg of fat ....... I say that as someone who was 105kg a few years ago and thought I was big as I used to lift weights etc.

I was just curious as to what strength training the chap did. Like at 100kg if he was benching 170kg or something I'd say fair enough you might need a load of grub if you want to train like that. Accepting there's still a bit of excess going in.

bladespin wrote: »
    It really feels like we overcomplicate things to make us feel better about failing on them, it's very much a story of tracking your calories and exercising, with the emphasis on calories.

Yep. But we're also guilty of overcomplicating advice here at times, which just makes it seem out of a poster's control, which doesn't help.

Fundamentaly, in this instance, I do think the mental side of things is clouding the OP's judgement. That needs to be addressed first and foremost and then the quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I'm about 3 cm shorter than the OP, I go to the gym 6 times per week and aim to get +10k steps a day just from walking, with additional cardio on top of that. In the final 3 weeks of my cut I was eating approx 1600 calories a day.

OPs last day of eating had astronomically high calories. It's very simple, he is eating far, far too much food.

I remember being overweight and binging like OP, and the thought of going to low cal scared me as I was always hungry. The reason you are hungry is the low quality diet you have, filled with high sugar foods from top to bottom. I could knock back 5000 calories of sugary food and still be hungry too.

OP here, thanks again for the advice to everyone.

I weighed 98kg today after my cardio session today. Regarding my strenght training, I do this 6 x times per week with the main compound lifts. My bench is pretty weak (100kgmax) so I primarily use dumbells for a lot of workouts. E.g I would use 40kgs dbells for 3 x 5 on flat bench DB press.

I follow my strenght training up with cardio (incline walk or spin) I also do a bit of walking and always aim for 20k steps daily. I did my cardio and burned 900 cals and thought to myself while doing it "that's only a few slices ofbread and choclates worth of work". Although I exercise quite a lot, I stuggle to gain any muscle or strength, so all eating isn't helping me there either. In fact I'm no stronger at 100kg than I am 85/90kg.

I eat so fast without even thinking. Like I know better than this. I don't know why I'm eating this and why I'm so hungry all the time. People here telling me it's because I'm not eating enough quality food yet I'm eating nuts, chicken, salmon, oats etc

I've had a blood work done two weeks ago and everything was spot on.

Hope that provides some more information regarding people's questions

• Advertisement
Advertisement