Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

Just got my practice link emailed, no indication if paased first stage. I imagine everyone is going to have to complete 1b before receiving overall result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I haven’t my link yet and have no patience- when does the assessment for 1B start?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Just got it in email too

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

“Candidates must meet the qualifying standard in both Stage 1(a) and Stage 1(b) in order to progress to Stage 2 of the selection process. Those who reach the qualifying standard will be ranked accordingly, in Order of Merit.”

This explains the results anyway... won’t have any until both tests are completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Anyone unable to open the info link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

I haven’t my link yet and have no patience- when does the assessment for 1B start?

the link will be sent on the 25th February

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

Just got the email. 1(b) is Situational Judgement test to be completed between 25.02 21 and 03.03.21

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

I also just got the link. Does that mean that we were deemed successful in 1(a). Because I am not confident at all about it. Seems a bit cruel to allow you to take the next step if you fell at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dagner88

I think someone mentioned a couple of posts before you that candidates must meet qualifying scores from 1a and 1b. So I'm assuming we won't know if we passed either until results are out. I agree it's very cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Darren1881 wrote: »
    I also just got the link. Does that mean that we were deemed successful in 1(a). Because I am not confident at all about it. Seems a bit cruel to allow you to take the next step if you fell at the first hurdle.

I'd imagine both scores are added up (stage 1a &1b) and then overall score determines if you go through to next stage. So for instance; i might not do well in first stage but do excellent in the second stage, that way you are given a chance to make up the difference..?

I could be totally wrong, just my thoughts:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

Kenevil wrote: »
    Anyone unable to open the info link

Try different browser

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭barryos1505

Surely everyone that didnt make the qualifying score in 1(a) should have just been cut and save them the hassle of doing 1(b). Seems a bit pointless getting everyone to do 1(b) when a large portion might already be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭lucat

I'd imagine both scores are added up (stage 1a &1b) and then overall score determines if you go through to next stage. So for instance; i might not do well in first stage but do excellent in the second stage, that way you are given a chance to make up the difference..?

I could be totally wrong, just my thoughts:)

Not sure about that. You have to pass both, so that implies they're two separate results. Seems like a waste of our time to be asking us to do 1B when we might not have passed 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

lucat wrote: »
    Not sure about that. You have to pass both, so that implies they're two separate results. Seems like a waste of our time to be asking us to do 1B when we might not have passed 1A.

Exactly but they will be combined to give you your final place.
    If you fail any individual part, you'll be out of the comp

eroc79 wrote: »
    Exactly but they will be combined to give you your final place.
    If you fail any individual part, you'll be out of the comp

Sure, but why not grade 1A before inviting to 1B in that case? What's the point in asking people who may not have passed 1A to the next stage automatically?

lucat wrote: »
    Sure, but why not grade 1A before inviting to 1B in that case? What's the point in asking people who may not have passed 1A to the next stage automatically?

I had a friend who took part in an EO competition not so long ago. He did the initial assessment questionnaire and then progressed to do the verbal and numerical reasoning section. Afterwards he was given his results and was refused as he failed the questionnaire by 1 point despite passing both verbal and numerical. Truly a pain that was unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dagner88

I had a friend who took part in an EO competition not so long ago. He did the initial assessment questionnaire and then progressed to do the verbal and numerical reasoning section. Afterwards he was given his results and was refused as he failed the questionnaire by 1 point despite passing both verbal and numerical. Truly a pain that was unnecessary.

This happened a friend of mine also. I would have thought if you were 1 point off that they would give it to you. It's not fair to let people progress if they did not pass first stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mariagirl

I did the online test for HEO last week and I didn't get a message to my messageboard ftom PAS today. Did they send a nessage to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

It was sent by email first and then I got an email alerting me that I had a message on my message board in public jobs. Dunno why they alerted by email and message board. Unsure if everybody got the messages?? It didn't say I had passed 1a part so dunno really.

mariagirl wrote: »
    I did the online test for HEO last week and I didn't get a message to my messageboard ftom PAS today. Did they send a nessage to everyone?

No idea. I'd definitely call them if I was you.
    And this is why they should have been transparent about the 1A results from the get-go too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

My guess is that they want to see the overall result of stage 1 to determine what the cut off/pass mark is for 1a. E.g if 50% of the panel pass stage 1b however only 25% of these have a 50% pass rate on numerical they will lower the pass rate on numerical to say 40% to ensure they have at least 50% of the panel progressing to stage 2.

I would imagine it is a cost-saving measure, in the long run, to lower the pass mark at stage 1 then have not enough progress to stage 2 and beyond and therefore an insufficient final panel formed. It would alleviate the need for another competition to run in the near future. - just a hunch!

From what I am told numerical is not counted as "statistically", males do better in this and it is considered a gender imbalancer - whatever truth is in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Gickyk wrote: »
    My guess is that they want to see the overall result of stage 1 to determine what the cut off/pass mark is for 1a. E.g if 50% of the panel pass stage 1b however only 25% of these have a 50% pass rate on numerical they will lower the pass rate on numerical to say 40% to ensure they have at least 50% of the panel progressing to stage 2.

I would imagine it is a cost-saving measure, in the long run, to lower the pass mark at stage 1 then have not enough progress to stage 2 and beyond and therefore an insufficient final panel formed. It would alleviate the need for another competition to run in the near future. - just a hunch!

From what I am told numerical is not counted as "statistically", males do better in this and it is considered a gender imbalancer - whatever truth is in that!

As far as I'm aware you're spot on.

They need to be sure they get a certain amount of applicants to interview and on the panel.

The last thing they want is to end up spending a chunk of the yearly budget running ANOTHER competition too soon because the bar was too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Competitions usually last 2 years so they need to have enough candidates that will make it to be placed on a panel after all the stages.

afaik they had a lot of problems with a recent competition and exhausted it pretty quick.

Making a few extra steps earlier on probably saves them time/money in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Gickyk wrote: »

??:eek::mad::confused:??

??:eek::mad::confused:??

Hadn't you noticed while doing other competitions when your oom is being determined the results are based on the personality and verbal reasoning. The numerical is never included in it.

I've never seen the numerical counted towards final placing in any CS competition.
    It's just a case of passing it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

yabadabado wrote: »
    I've never seen the numerical counted towards final placing in any CS competition.
    It's just a case of passing it .

It does in Revenue competitions.

It's been policy of PAS to not include it in OOM ranking due to males generally getting better scores.

It does in Revenue competitions.

It's been policy of PAS to not include it in OOM ranking due to males generally getting better scores.

Sorry I should have said open or interdepartmental competitions.
    Some internal department competitions would do things a little different.

I recently saw two different internal competitions recently and they differed significantly between how they were conducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hadn't you noticed while doing other competitions when your oom is being determined the results are based on the personality and verbal reasoning. The numerical is never included in it.

Yes, I knew it's the case that the numerical score is not normally used in determining overall order of merit.

My consternation is at the apparent reason for that, which came as news to me here (assuming it's true). It's utterly ridiculous, and sexist in its own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cidy2020

So has anyone heard if many have not received the email for stage 1b or did everyone get it?

Advertisement