Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Congratulations to all who passed gutted I failed one component. Is there an appeal process? It does not seem to state in the message. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Little Ms Sunshine

Hi everyone, I'm new to boards and seriously late to the party. So I got 52 and 39 in the OOM for my chosen locations. Does anyone know what the next step is? I read the circular and it mentions shortlisting from the application forms? Is that right or do I have it completely wrong? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

107 = OOM 69 for Kildare

Yes, and 366 for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Brera

Allo Allo wrote: »
    I got a total score of 132, higher than some I have seen placed on here.

However as I was one mark short of the qualifying score in the Numerical Reasoning I am out.....absolutely gutted.

That’s harsh. I’d definitely appeal that.

PAS competitions are a cruel beast

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Anybody know if the OOM places carry any weight as the competition progresses, or are they purely to determine who's called for the next stage or not?

e.g. - If you're 10th on the OOM and score let's say 60 on the next stage, do you then fall behind somebody who was 300 on the OOM but who then scores 61?

Your OOM doesn't carry to the next stage, other than the top 336 in Dublin will be within the first batch. The person OOM 336 could be in top 10 after the next stage and vice versa. But nobody outside the top 336 can "pass out" those inside the cut off. Hope that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Allo Allo

Gickyk wrote: »
    I would be very tempted to appeal if I had those scores - Haven't heard how it works or the success rates - but that must be a killer

I have put in for a review of my result but to be honest I'm not hopeful.

sheepgobaa wrote: »
    Score of 125, but short 5 marks on Management scenarios :( Gutted!

Score of 132, short one mark on Numerical Reasoning

Beyond gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheepgobaa

Score of 132, short one mark on Numerical Reasoning

Beyond gutted

especially when you see lower overall!! But still well done to everyone, fingers crossed my day will come also!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheepgobaa

I have put in for a review of my result but to be honest I'm not hopeful.

how do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Cidy2020 wrote: »
    For those of us who has never had the pleasure of "video shortlisting" can anyone give us a bit more information as to what its about? Are you given a topic and you have to prepare a presentation?/questions to answer about a topic given?/a report to prepare?. And how far in advance do we get to prepare? is it days/hours/a week?
    Im sure we would all like to know whats ahead of us!!

Much appreciated.

You've 3 minutes to give an answer to a very general question, such as "outline your team leadership experience". So you've to give an overview of your overall experience and then give one specific example. They'll select 3 competencies, most likely team leadership, management and delivery of results and analysis and decision making, and you'll have 3 minutes to talk about each of these. And if you fail any competency you are out, they don't even mark the next competency.

• Advertisement

sheepgobaa wrote: »
    how do you do that?

Email large volume recruitment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just got the results of the HEO with Irish stream of the competition.
    It doesn't state any particular county- I'm guessing its nationwide, I'm honestly shocked at my order of merit, did hardly anyone go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

You've 3 minutes to give an answer to a very general question, such as "outline your team leadership experience". So you've to give an overview of your overall experience and then give one specific example. They'll select 3 competencies, most likely team leadership, management and delivery of results and analysis and decision making, and you'll have 3 minutes to talk about each of these. And if you fail any competency you are out, they don't even mark the next competency.

Can I ask is there an interview process then after the video shortlisting phase.

RC01 wrote: »
    Can I ask is there an interview process then after the video shortlisting phase.

Then you have to do the formal interview- focusing on the competencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

2019 panel did zoom interview and then if you passed interview there was a presentation over zoom a few weeks later (all of this was those who got to that stage since March 2020 obv, normal process was in place before that)

Well I suppose it isn't too bad then as it would be getting some of the competencies ready for interview anyway.

Just got the results of the HEO with Irish stream of the competition.
    It doesn't state any particular county- I'm guessing its nationwide, I'm honestly shocked at my order of merit, did hardly anyone go for it?

I wish I spoke Irish 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

I think this has been mentioned somewhere before but I can't find the answer. Is your OOM for the whole country or only for your chosen counties? As in, I scored OOM 5 but is that overall in the whole country, as in OOM 1 could be someone in Dublin, OOM 2 = Sligo, 3 = Meath and 4 = Donegal, or does it mean that there are 5 people ahead of me in my chosen county?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

caarp wrote: »
    I think this has been mentioned somewhere before but I can't find the answer. Is your OOM for the whole country or only for your chosen counties? As in, I scored OOM 5 but is that overall in the whole country, as in OOM 1 could be someone in Dublin, OOM 2 = Sligo, 3 = Meath and 4 = Donegal, or does it mean that there are 5 people ahead of me in my chosen county?

It should be mentioned at the top of the message which county it refers to.

RC01 wrote: »
    I wish I spoke Irish 🙈

I spoke Irish at home as a kid, went to bunscoil and meanscoil through Irish- and have my own kids in the closest Gaelscoil. Its going to be interesting to see how they assess Irish. Mine is rather strongly accented Ulster Irish- all my teachers in school were from Donegal and Belfast. I'm guessing I'll have a separate agallamh to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

stuchyg wrote: »
    30's, did quite well on the verbal but scraped the management scenario

Do you know can you use the competencies on your form for the video short listing

eroc79 wrote: »
    It should be mentioned at the top of the message which county it refers to.

Competition Name: Higher Executive Officer Interdepartmental 2020

Competition ID: 20267403

Candidate ID: 000010023

Location Choice: Kildare

Dear The_Conductor..........

Competition Name: Higher Executive Officer Interdepartmental 2020

Competition ID: 20267403

Candidate ID: 000010023

Location Choice: Kildare

Dear The_Conductor..........

Thanks Conductor. It's a bit confusing! I know I'm number OOM 5 for Wexford but I'm wondering if that means that it's 5 for Wexford and that everyone ahead of 5 is Wexford too, or if the numbers ahead of 5 could be any county in Ireland? Does that make sense??!!

Thanks Conductor. It's a bit confusing! I know I'm number OOM 5 for Wexford but I'm wondering if that means that it's 5 for Wexford and that everyone ahead of 5 is Wexford too, or if the numbers ahead of 5 could be any county in Ireland? Does that make sense??!!

You're 5 for wexford but there could be a few people on 5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedBarchetta

Your OOM is for your chosen county indicated at the top of your results message. So there are 4 ahead of you in Wexford. I'm 28 for Wexford.

Your OOM is for your chosen county indicated at the top of your results message. So there are 4 ahead of you in Wexford. I'm 28 for Wexford.

Thanks Redbarchetta and Kenevil. Got it! Maybe I shouldn't be in this competition if I don't even understand the rules and results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bcatt

Does anyone have any idea what stage 2 will be it email says video shortlisting and that could be alot of different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leomcd3019

Put it this way- there are 3 reasonable sized offices in Kildare-

Defence in Newbridge
    Revenue in Athy
    Agriculture in Celbridge

Between them they perhaps 20 vacancies at HEO level right now- and perhaps another 20-30 over the next 12 months. They also all have internal panels in place.

To get anyway down the Kildare panel at all- you are looking at people ahead of you on the panel taking Dublin posts.

Its not impossible- but it is a long shot.

Bare in mind also FSI which are part of justice is moving from the garda HQ next summer too and a lot of the staff aren't willing to make the move so that could be potential HEO positions too

Leomcd3019 wrote: »
    Bare in mind also FSI which are part of justice is moving from the garda HQ next summer too and a lot of the staff aren't willing to make the move so that could be potential HEO positions too

Hmmm- that could be interesting- its funny how many different lab complexes we've managed to co-locate at Backweston. I guess its a bit of a 'watch this space'.

How many admin sections do the various labs needs (I know they're all run independently of one another).

I guess we're in for an interesting time.

• Advertisement

bcatt wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what stage 2 will be it email says video shortlisting and that could be alot of different things.

I had a quick search here and from what i can make out they will ask you give experience on competencies and ask for an example that demonstrates that competency

Advertisement