Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedBarchetta

Kenevil wrote: »
    I had a quick search here and from what i can make out they will ask you give experience on competencies and ask for an example that demonstrates that competency

They may also give a topic to make a presentation on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AC2410

Congrats to all. I got 1296 in Dublin. I don’t see much hope for myself. I really hate those Verbal and Management Scenarios tests! I don’t hold out much hope of getting called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

AC2410 wrote: »
    Congrats to all. I got 1296 in Dublin. I don’t see much hope for myself. I really hate those Verbal and Management Scenarios tests! I don’t hold out much hope of getting called!

You'd be surprised how quickly they'll move through the panels. There are alot of retirements at the momemt with more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joe1979

AC2410 wrote: »

I am just behind you. I think we'll get called. 2 year panel and calling 336 first batch. Massive amount of retirements and do not forget just because you are called to next stage does not mean you will be successful. Not everyone will pass the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

I am 85 nationwide for Irish stream. I will email them for my placing in my counties of choice to see if I will be given a new placing

• Advertisement

joe1979 wrote: »
    I am just behind you. I think we'll get called. 2 year panel and calling 336 first batch. Massive amount of retirements and do not forget just because you are called to next stage does not mean you will be successful. Not everyone will pass the interview.

Plus eligibility won't be checked until you've passed all stages

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ScreenTest310

What do ye think would be the cut off point for batch 1 in Cork? I'm in the 120s and trying to get an idea of the chances I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

Kenevil wrote: »
    Plus eligibility won't be checked until you've passed all stages

Do people actually put themselves through the process if they are not eligible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am 85 nationwide for Irish stream. I will email them for my placing in my counties of choice to see if I will be given a new placing

Just wondering this too.
    I'm wondering how we get to specify a particular county we might be interested in, or how it works- obviously they can't expect us to pick up sticks and move to Cork from Meath- or something similar.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

caarp wrote: »
    Thanks Redbarchetta and Kenevil. Got it! Maybe I shouldn't be in this competition if I don't even understand the rules and results :)

I can stand with you on this, sometimes trying to figure out how these competitions operate can be more confusing than the assessments.

It was my understanding that as I was outside of the 366 that I was out but from reading this tread this afternoon I’m now not so sure anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Allo Allo

Just wondering this too.
    I'm wondering how we get to specify a particular county we might be interested in, or how it works- obviously they can't expect us to pick up sticks and move to Cork from Meath- or something similar.......?

Did you not pick the Counties you were applying for on the application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Senseless Betty

Just wondering this too.

I'm on the Irish stream too, from my understanding of doing previous competitions you are contacted if an Irish language position becomes available in any of your chosen counties. Your OOM on the Irish stream won't alter your OOM on your regionaI panel. I've done CO and EO Irish competitions so I presume they will stick to the same method here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Allo Allo wrote: »
    Did you not pick the Counties you were applying for on the application form?

Only for the general competition.
    You didn't have to choose a county for the restricted (Irish) stream- it was just put a tick in the box. If you get to be reseated on the panel in an 'Irish' stream capacity- it would be interesting- and is possibly the only way they could do it, if they don't have some other method of specifying locations.......

T900i wrote: »
    I can stand with you on this, sometimes trying to figure out how these competitions operate can be more confusing than the assessments.

It was my understanding that as I was outside of the 366 that I was out but from reading this tread this afternoon I’m now not so sure anymore

Deffo a chance of progressing to the next stage if you are placed after 366 not all of these will progress to interview or whatever other stages there are. I know there are alot of HEO vacancies in Revenue some will be filled internally but a % has to be inter d. So i'd presume other departments are in the same position, and alot more vacancies to come in the coming 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maybe never

Only for the general competition.
    You didn't have to choose a county for the restricted (Irish) stream- it was just put a tick in the box. If you get to be reseated on the panel in an 'Irish' stream capacity- it would be interesting- and is possibly the only way they could do it, if they don't have some other method of specifying locations.......

From prev exp of this in the EO, the county(ies) you chose are what the irish stream is applied to. If you only chose Meath you were given an overall country placing but may be 1 or 2 for example in your chosen county. Unless they look for an expression of interest in another county later on in the competition it refers to your selected county(ies). You can request your county placing. I stand corrected on this though, things can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maybe never

Does anyone know if there is another stage after the stage 2 video interview/shortisting stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Does anyone know if there is another stage after the stage 2 video interview/shortisting stage?

I'd imagine there is a formal interview after the presentation, I recall some friends of mine saying it use to be on the same day, I guess that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

The interviews are done by video now, there’s no going up. A few people on my office did them for another competition over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

Score 106 = 34 for Kerry & 54 for Limerick.

I'm on the Irish stream too, from my understanding of doing previous competitions you are contacted if an Irish language position becomes available in any of your chosen counties. Your OOM on the Irish stream won't alter your OOM on your regionaI panel. I've done CO and EO Irish competitions so I presume they will stick to the same method here.

Did you get placed off EO Irish panel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Senseless Betty

Did you get placed off EO Irish panel??

No, I got placed off a separate internal panel before they started calling from the Irish panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EER40

I scored in the 20’s for regional location does anyone know from the last interdepartmental HEO comp if that score will be enough to get called to Stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

EER40 wrote: »
    I scored in the 20’s for regional location does anyone know from the last interdepartmental HEO comp if that score will be enough to get called to Stage 2?

Congratulations in the 2019 competition after stage one I was in the 40's progressed to stage 2 and my scores improved and i missed out marginally being called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

rusty1983 wrote: »
    Congratulations in the 2019 competition after stage one I was in the 40's progressed to stage 2 and my scores improved and i missed out marginally being called for interview

When you say 40's is this your overall score? i got 100 overall and placed 58 in one of my locations... i would be confident in getting called for interview. or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hi guys congrats to everyone who got through I’m down for Sligo and Leitrim. I have heard that in the last interD no one got to interview stage for these areas which is annoying! Just wondering if anyone knows the way they are calling from interD panels is it 1 off internal and 1 off the interD or is there just no logic at all!? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

When you say 40's is this your overall score? i got 100 overall and placed 58 in one of my locations... i would be confident in getting called for interview. or am i wrong?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, just to clarify with regards to the order of merit I was placed in the 40's for my regional county selection and I progressed to stage 2

No, I got placed off a separate internal panel before they started calling from the Irish panel.

Irish EO Panel is extremely slow moving. They have recruited v few people from it. I wouldn't mind but I am top of my county in panel and a certain percentage of people recruited to Govt departments should have proficiency in Irish even though there might be v little actual Irish language work. I get the feeling people are only being pulled from this panel if a department specifically requests an Irish speaker as otherwise, PAS are not pulling of this panel which breaks the sequencing of panels guideline when filling positions....This panel should be given the same merit as general EO panels when filling positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

Foxy1987 wrote: »
    Hi guys congrats to everyone who got through I’m down for Sligo and Leitrim. I have heard that in the last interD no one got to interview stage for these areas which is annoying! Just wondering if anyone knows the way they are calling from interD panels is it 1 off internal and 1 off the interD or is there just no logic at all!? Thanks in advance :)

I doubt this is true - regionals are normally called together (all counties outside the belt) so even if someone wasn't offered a position from an Inter'd PAS would still have had to form a panel.

If it is the case that no one from the Inter'd panel got a position you could assume that these areas 'owe' to the inter'd panel and therefore candidates from the Inter'd will get offered positions quickly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Came 244 in the OOM for Dublin.

Is it a case where every applicant in this batch who passes the interview/presentation process will be assigned a post? My understanding was that the next stage creates a new OOM within your batch and positions are offered in order based on that list. Will this batch's OOM be exhausted before moving on to the next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

Ok, so stage 2 should be remote interview? then a presentation?

is this what you all think is the next stage of this competition - just curious also how many years experience do you have at EO Level?

I have just over 2... i am afraid i will be at a disadvantage but with Covid i had to take on extra responsibility and extra staff and head up a number of projects. Other management in my area were redeployed to other work. I stayed behind and managed the troops!!

Advertisement