Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

lucat wrote: »
    It's a Sonru interview. You've to record yourself answering questions which are given in the familiarisation booklet. 3 mins per answer. I think Sonru are a recruitment test company like Cut-e or SOVA etc., you can look them up online.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Is it a presentation (on a particular subject) you have to complete? Or is it a formal interview?

I think this has already been answered but its a one way interview, they ask questions and we have to record our answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Kenevil wrote: »
    I think this has already been answered but its a one way interview, they ask questions and we have to record our answers.

Do we know in advance what the questions will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Do we know in advance what the questions will be?

Yes, they are supplied in the familiarisation material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Best of luck everyone with the next stage of tests. Very quick turnaround alright. Not sure if it helps but there is a AP thread here where there's a lot of information on this new online video assessment. I realize that the type of questions would be different but there are some goods points on the actual practice of sitting the video assessment. Could be useful? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EER40

Just received this from PAS.... fairly quick with stage 2

Dear Kenevil,

I refer to your application for the above mentioned competition. I am pleased to inform you that you are now being invited to complete Stage 2 of the selection process. Stage 2 of the selection process consists of an online video interview (shortlisting).

Your testing window for completion of this assessment is:

Wednesday, 31st March 2021 until midnight on Thursday, 8th April 2021

Best of luck 🀞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yes, they are supplied in the familiarisation material.

Wonder if there's any chance of anybody posting the questions here, since they seem to be just standard ones that are included in a booklet sent to everybody called for the next stage anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Having checked back over all my messages in relation to this Interdepartmental Competition, I cannot find the familiarization material for the Video Interview (shortlisting) as mentioned. I've not been called yet, as I'm not on the Dublin panel... perhaps the familiarisation material is not issued until we are notified and called for the Video Interview. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Having checked back over all my messages in relation to this Interdepartmental Competition, I cannot find the familiarization material for the Video Interview (shortlisting) as mentioned. I've not been called yet, as I'm not on the Dublin panel... perhaps the familiarisation material is not issued until we are notified and called for the Video Interview. Am I correct?

It issues with the email to invite your to the next stage. It’s like that in all the competitions.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not on the Dublin panel either, but am in the top 10 for two other counties, so would expect to be called whenever they get to the regions. That's why I was wondering if somebody in Dublin might put up details of the video interview questions. Might give the culchies like myself here a bit of a jump start. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I wouldn’t advise anyone to post the interview questions.

See below from circular on the competition.

It is important to remember that this is a competitive process for a role where integrity is paramount. Sharing information on the test material, e.g. through social media or any other means, may result in you being disqualified from the competition.
    Please note that all test materials are subject to copyright and all rights are reserved. No part of the test material (including passages of information, questions or answer options) or associated materials may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means including electronic, mechanical, photocopying, photographing, recording, written or otherwise, at any stage. To do so is an offence and may result in you being excluded from the selection process. Any person who contravenes this provision, or who assists another person(s) in contravening this provision, is liable to prosecution and/or civil suit for loss of copyright and intellectual property.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Yeah, I'm not on the Dublin panel either, but am in the top 10 for two other counties, so would expect to be called whenever they get to the regions. That's why I was wondering if somebody in Dublin might put up details of the video interview questions. Might give the culchies like myself here a bit of a jump start. :)

I’m the same as you, top ten in my counties but I think once you know the competencies and have your examples back to front and inside out you you should be ok. ... hopefully :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are a fair few culchies here- myself included!

I wouldn’t advise anyone to post the interview questions.

See below from circular on the competition.

It is important to remember that this is a competitive process for a role where integrity is paramount. Sharing information on the test material, e.g. through social media or any other means, may result in you being disqualified from the competition.

I was mindful of that before I asked all right, but to my mind, it doesn't actually apply here, since I was just asking about something that's in the information booklet. To me, it seems no different than how there were questions and some discussion here prior to Stages 1(a) and 1(b) about information contained in the booklet for those.

My understanding of the bit you quoted is that it warns people against sharing material from the tests themselves - e.g. nobody should post something like:
    "Passage 1 in the verbal assessment is _______________ and the answer is "cannot say" because ___________"

Still, it's grand if people decide not to put up that info from the booklet here anyway. Reckon I'll see them in due course anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

I was mindful of that before I asked all right, but to my mind, it doesn't actually apply here, since I was just asking about something that's in the information booklet. To me, it seems no different than how there were questions and some discussion here prior to Stages 1(a) and 1(b) about information contained in the booklet for those.

My understanding of the bit you quoted is that it warns people against sharing material from the tests themselves - e.g. nobody should post something like:
    "Passage 1 in the verbal assessment is _______________ and the answer is "cannot say" because ___________"

Still, it's grand if people decide not to put up that info from the booklet here anyway. Reckon I'll see them in due course anyway.

The questions are not in the main information booklet..

It is only when you are called to the next stage you are issued with the 3 questions for your Video interview.....

I hope that makes sense... 😊 :)

I personally won't post the exact questions that have been given in the information booklet as i d9n't want to risk jeopardising my position.... but i will say if you go through the AP 2020 thread you will get the jist of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MG44

I just did one video interview last week, for another competition. My advice is to prepare well for 3 questions. I had 3 minutes for each question. I spend 1 min in in overview about my experience in that specific competency and other 2 mins giving an practical example following STAR method. I suggest to practice a lot, I used photoboot on my Mac to record video and phone as well, to see how all that will look and to contain the speech within 3 mins. I kept my notes in the front of me during the real video interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Yeah it worked out, I find that the numerical tests are a good refresher. At the end of the test it'll tell u how may were right and wrong and when you review your answers it'll tell you what the correct answer is and why.

From your experience of JobTestPrep - as we have already passed the aptitude tests, are they any help for upcoming stage - the video prep??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lemon drop

Hi, I’m new - never posted before. So like loads of you on here I am through to stage 2 BUT I genuinely put in a form to get practice of the verbal etc. and didn’t expect to do well. Now Stage 2 begins soon and I’m so disappointed with myself :( has anyone else experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

Hi, has anyone experience of doing this shortlisting 3 min video recording shortlisting interview?

are they difficult to pass - or is it a matter of know your competency and being able to answer it?

thanks

Lemon drop wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new - never posted before. So like loads of you on here I am through to stage 2 BUT I genuinely put in a form to get practice of the verbal etc. and didn’t expect to do well. Now Stage 2 begins soon and I’m so disappointed with myself :( has anyone else experienced this?

Why are you disappointed? well done... it is good you are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lemon drop

I’m very happy to have got through but wish I’d made more of an effort with the application. Sure I’ll give it a bash, either way it’s all experience.
    Good luck to you all this week with the video interviews!

Lemon drop wrote: »
    I’m very happy to have got through but wish I’d made more of an effort with the application. Sure I’ll give it a bash, either way it’s all experience.
    Good luck to you all this week with the video interviews!

you can turn it around now... you still have a shot... just ensure you have good examples going forward or build on what you have already done. The STAR method is what they look for going by past competitions...

I wish you the best of luck, great surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

daenis123 wrote:
    From your experience of JobTestPrep - as we have already passed the aptitude tests, are they any help for upcoming stage - the video prep??

Hey, I didn't even think about that. I have a friend who recently became a HEO so they're giving me a bit of a hand. My partner also has a friend who's an AP in HR so they're going to look at my application and tell me if my examples or good enough or what points I should concentrate on. I'm really concentrating on the teamleadership question because if you don't nail that you're Goosed.

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Hey, I didn't even think about that. I have a friend who recently became a HEO so they're giving me a bit of a hand. My partner also has a friend who's an AP in HR so they're going to look at my application and tell me if my examples or good enough or what points I should concentrate on. I'm really concentrating on the teamleadership question because if you don't nail that you're Goosed.

Look up the HEO wheel thing on the PAS website. They are the points you have to hit. See where you can incorporate them into your examples.

Look up the HEO wheel thing on the PAS website. They are the points you have to hit. See where you can incorporate them into your examples.

This thing sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Literally just write out your examples - 500 words is roughly 3 minutes talking so aim for that but bear in mind your speaking time.

And compare the examples the the competencies- It you can’t tick off all of it think about it more and change things around.

Ask your manager what you think good examples would be for each competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

I was wondering if anyone knew what this whole process might look like. They've started the video interview presentations for Dublin already. Do they continue with this group until a panel is formed and then start looking at starting video presentations with the regionals, or might they start calling the regionals for video interviews soon enough? Any ideas? I know that this process is different than other competitions since we are all doing it remotely but was wondering if anyone knows, or has an idea of the process? MTIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fifi2804

This thing sorry

Thank you that is a great help

Advertisement