Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Kenevil wrote:
    Look up the HEO wheel thing on the PAS website. They are the points you have to hit. See where you can incorporate them into your examples.

I meant to say earlier thanks for this.

Does anyone know what these interviews look like? I presume you finish one question and when you're ready you start the next one that they don't just count down by themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Brera

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I meant to say earlier thanks for this.

Does anyone know what these interviews look like? I presume you finish one question and when you're ready you start the next one that they don't just count down by themselves....

They used a similar system for the recent AP competition. It counts down and then gives a brief period to gather your thoughts before your move onto the next one.

There is a lot of useful information in that thread to check out

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

Brera wrote: »
    They used a similar system for the recent AP competition. It counts down and then gives a brief period to gather your thoughts before your move onto the next one.

There is a lot of useful information in that thread to check out

Thank you, do you mind me asking which AP thread this useful info is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Brera

RC01 wrote: »
    Thank you, do you mind me asking which AP thread this useful info is on?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058059480

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭RC01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Galwaygirl64

Has anyone heard anything about regional positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

Has anyone heard anything about regional positions?

The result email said they would be starting with Dublin I think their video interviews only started yesterday.
    It will probably be another while before the rest of us begin to hear anything

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Haven't heard anything about Kildare or Sligo yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Do you think around 2.20 minutes for each competency would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ms.crackerz

For anyone who is doing the video questioning, are you basing your answers on any experience including work outside of the service or sticking to civil service related examples ?

• Advertisement

For anyone who is doing the video questioning, are you basing your answers on any experience including work outside of the service or sticking to civil service related examples ?

I'm basing my answers around the civil service and work in my team/section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Can you do the practice before the interview ? As in it I click into get started and go to practice I wont be forced to complete it?

Is anyone else having problems with this Sonru Portal??? I can log in, do all the checks everything is good to go, I try and do a practice I interview and it crashes and tell me I've no internet connection even though it's full strength.

Talk about adding to the stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Is anyone else having problems with this Sonru Portal??? I can log in, do all the checks everything is good to go, I try and do a practice I interview and it crashes and tell me I've no internet connection even though it's full strength.

Talk about adding to the stress

I haven't even downloaded it yet.... or started working on my examples.... using what i put on my form and i know pretty well just need to beef it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dermotcrabs

Are people answering the questions for the video interview with the same examples from the application form they originally submitted or are they introducing new examples per competency?

Are people answering the questions for the video interview with the same examples from the application form they originally submitted or are they introducing new examples per competency?

I'm using the same examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have wondered about this myself. Have spent most of the past two months on a project which would make a better and obviously more recent example for one of the competencies than the one I put down on the application form. Presume it would be okay in theory anyway to talk about something new, rather than what you wrote about first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭billyhead

You should always have a second example ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yeah. But if you've got three minutes to talk about a competency, in a one-way video interview....do they expect you to talk mainly about the example from the application form, or it is acceptable to throw what they might see as a curveball, by talking either mainly or completely about something different instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

I would prepare your best answer possible to the question asked, keeping in mind the competencies, regardless of what you put in your form. I presume there is no mention of your form in the question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

You can use whatever example you want. The person judging your video interview won't have seen your application form, your competency will be judged solely on what you say in those 3 minutes so use your best example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

It says in the form that they will have your application form for reference, but they will base their score solely on the video.

How the heck are you supposed to condense your whole career down to a min and a half.....

Kenevil wrote:
    How the heck are you supposed to condense your whole career down to a min and a half.....

Very quickly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Has anyone done their video interview yet and if so any advice on reading from script, do you think they would fail you for that if it is delivered well and competency examples are good?

neevobeevo wrote:
    Has anyone done their video interview yet and if so any advice on reading from script, do you think they would fail you for that if it is delivered well and competency examples are good?

I went with a script for that reason. I decided that I'd try and hit the competencies from a script without forgetting something or tripping over myself. I guess time will tell if I made the right decision......

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

I went with a script for that reason. I decided that I'd try and hit the competencies from a script without forgetting something or tripping over myself. I guess time will tell if I made the right decision......

Thanks for that Buckfast, think I'll be doing the same as would be sure to forget something important or worse still go completely blank!

Just finished mine. Pretty obvious i was reading but its done time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lemon drop

Same, just finished and it’s very obvious I was looking elsewhere for alot of the time. I actually knew my competencies well, so there was no need to even have paperwork beside me, it was a hindrance. The time went so quickly and I didn’t get a chance to finish one of examples...... too busy looking at my pages �� Lesson learned and it was good practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Just about to record mine this evening and I notice that in the familiarisation material it states 'It is strongly advised not to read verbatim from a pre-prepared script...'

Guess I'll be spending a bit longer learning it off now..

Advertisement