Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

Anyone aware of approx. how long between calling Dublin panels to the regional panels? I assume the plan is to do this Dublin cohort in its entirety before they move onto anything else? Even then I wonder will they move onto new cohort for Dublin or start a regional approach then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

eroc79 wrote: »
    If that's the 2019 panel they probably have to keep it consistent with those who were called earlier in the comp.
    Our comp could be done differently because it started while everything has been remote.
    Hard to predict with PAS
    The AP comp had an etray excercise

AP has always had an etray exercise and the HEO never did. With the last competition they were successfully able to run it remotely and still retain the presentation aspect to it so I would be amazed if that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I think it will be

Stage 1 - exams
    Stage 2 - video questionnaire
    Stage 3 - interview
    Stage 4 - presentation

A friend of a friend was called to interview on the 2019 panel about a month ago and a week later found out she passed but had to do a presentation the week after that.

I can’t imagine an e tray.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought an etray to be on the cards.

How did they handle the presentation? Were they monitored while preparing in the same way our tests were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I think it will be

Stage 1 - exams
    Stage 2 - video questionnaire
    Stage 3 - interview
    Stage 4 - presentation

A friend of a friend was called to interview on the 2019 panel about a month ago and a week later found out she passed but had to do a presentation the week after that.

I can’t imagine an e tray.

What are the presentations like in these kind of competitions, anyone who's gone through the process before? How do they work/what do you actually have to do a presentation on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thanks for that. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought an etray to be on the cards.

How did they handle the presentation? Were they monitored while preparing in the same way our tests were?

Yup they were supervised on zoom.

I can’t speak for the content of their presentation but I know a few years ago you were tasked with closing down 1 of 2 offices and joining the two. In your presentation you had to give your recommendations and reason why. Those who failed seemed to just finish after 5 minutes instead of the 10. You also don’t have any PowerPoints etc it’s all verbal.

I imagine you’d get the same amount of information if not more than what you’re given when doing an e tray.

Like honestly the only recommendation I can give for preparing for it is just read as much as you can? I’m quite sad and read every circular which HR have sent around or directions from DEPR. The IPA have have some journals on civil service culture etc or analysis of current trends. There’s also all the Our Public Service 2020 etc which has the visions for the future.

• Advertisement

Yup they were supervised on zoom.

I can’t speak for the content of their presentation but I know a few years ago you were tasked with closing down 1 of 2 offices and joining the two. In your presentation you had to give your recommendations and reason why. Those who failed seemed to just finish after 5 minutes instead of the 10. You also don’t have any PowerPoints etc it’s all verbal.

I imagine you’d get the same amount of information if not more than what you’re given when doing an e tray.

Like honestly the only recommendation I can give for preparing for it is just read as much as you can? I’m quite sad and read every circular which HR have sent around or directions from DEPR. The IPA have have some journals on civil service culture etc or analysis of current trends. There’s also all the Our Public Service 2020 etc which has the visions for the future.

All very helpful, thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭lucat

Augme wrote: »
    AP has always had an etray exercise and the HEO never did. With the last competition they were successfully able to run it remotely and still retain the presentation aspect to it so I would be amazed if that changes.

EO do an etray too. Funny that AP and EO both do one but not HEO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

lucat wrote: »
    EO do an etray too. Funny that AP and EO both do one but not HEO!

My guess is that it would be too similar to the one for the eo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Galwaygirl64

Results of Internal comp for Dublin are out. I placed slightly over 100, not really disappointed as it was a huge learning experience. I don't expect to be offered a place though.

Results of Internal comp for Dublin are out. I placed slightly over 100, not really disappointed as it was a huge learning experience. I don't expect to be offered a place though.

What do you mean, for the video shortlisting

• Advertisement

redmgar wrote: »
    What do you mean, for the video shortlisting

No sorry, I meant the revenue internal heo comp. It went straight to interview and results came out today

No sorry, I meant the revenue internal heo comp. It went straight to interview and results came out today

oik, best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

You'll be offered a place for Dublin 100% last years comp Dublin panel has exhausted already. I placed just over 100 too delighted as didn't think i did well in interview. Happy where i am so in no rush to be placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

Kenevil wrote: »
    You'll be offered a place for Dublin 100% last years comp Dublin panel has exhausted already. I placed just over 100 too delighted as didn't think i did well in interview. Happy where i am so in no rush to be placed.

Well done to you both .ðŸ‘
    I did well on it too..
    I'm very shocked.
    Interview was very different from what I had expected ..

I did well on it too..
    I'm very shocked.

Well done connected....

I thought the interview was awful, when it was over i wanted the ground to swollow me up. Really shocked to have paneled. So was putting all my eggs into the inter d basket.

Not sure if I should keep going with this comp now if i pass the video interview.

I did well on it too..
    I'm very shocked.

Thanks Kenevil and connected99, your messages have lifted my hopes slightly. As I said I did the comp for interview experience and confidence. It was a huge learning experience, the interview being completely different from what I imagined so, if something comes out of it, then all the better.

Looking forward to getting the feedback

Well done connected....

I thought the interview was awful, when it was over i wanted the ground to swollow me up. Really shocked to have paneled. So was putting all my eggs into the inter d basket.

Not sure if I should keep going with this comp now if i pass the video interview.

Imo I say stick with it/Stay going
    Best of luck 😊

Thanks Kenevil and connected99, your messages have lifted my hopes slightly. As I said I did the comp for interview experience and confidence. It was a huge learning experience, the interview being completely different from what I imagined so, if something comes out of it, then all the better.

Looking forward to getting the feedback

Is panel open for 2 years?
    Id say very strong chance of us being promoted in due course...
    Dublin panels always seem to move quickly in all competitions from what I've seen in my experience..
    Best of luck

Is panel open for 2 years?
    Id say very strong chance of us being promoted in due course...
    Dublin panels always seem to move quickly in all competitions from what I've seen in my experience..
    Best of luck

Yeah they are normally open for 2 years. Its a massive panel but with so many retirements i really can't see it lasting the 2 years at all.

Yeah they are normally open for 2 years. Its a massive panel but with so many retirements i really can't see it lasting the 2 years at all.

Yeah I'd agree !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ms.crackerz

Paneled also. Congrats to you guys too... I like where I am at the minute so hopefully it doesn't move too quickly. Glad to hear back as video interview was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

This went really fast and panel appears to be huge. Same for internal EO

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Well done connected....

Well done on placing. I actually found this interview easier than the EO, did both. I placed and am delighted with where I am, didn't expect to place though going from CO to HEO

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Little Ms Sunshine

Hi, I’m just wondering for the regionals does anyone know how many they invite roughly to the next stage? I’m no. 39 & 59 for my two locations. They’re small counties though so not sure how many they’ll actually invite to stage 2. Surely they’ll have to invite a decent number to form a panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭lucat

Could someone start a new thread for that internal comp? This one is for the InterD and I'm getting confused because people are talking about the other one.

Just wondering if people are assuming 8th May for the results?

Hi, I’m just wondering for the regionals does anyone know how many they invite roughly to the next stage? I’m no. 39 & 59 for my two locations. They’re small counties though so not sure how many they’ll actually invite to stage 2. Surely they’ll have to invite a decent number to form a panel?

I don't know how many they will call but I would imagine a good number because they will have to take into account people who wont pass each individual stage. Also, the panel formed should be big enough to cover requirements for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

lucat wrote: »
    Could someone start a new thread for that internal comp? This one is for the InterD and I'm getting confused because people are talking about the other one.

Just wondering if people are assuming 8th May for the results?

I’m thinking the 30th of April myself

I’m thinking the 30th of April myself

If we are talking about the InterD HEO here and not the Revenue competition above then I agree.

I emailed PAS and they confirmed results for video shortlisting will be issued by the end of April. Personally I expect to receive them about half three on the Friday just before the Bank Holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Little Ms Sunshine

thanks so much for your reply :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Folks, any idea when the Regionals will start to be called?
    I'm in the regional for the Interdepartmental heo comp and still waiting on being called for the Video Interview... I believe it's a 3 minute video piece and it's a discussion on one or more of your competencies. Am I correct in thinking that? Anyone throw any light on what areas I could be preparing in advance would be a great help.

Advertisement