Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Hi all, I think what Samjd is asking below, is if DURING the recording are there breaks between each question for a breather or a drink of water for example. Or can you choose whenever you're ready to move to the next question yourself?

Could anyone who has completed the SONRU video interview confirm if you can take a couple of minutes between questions, just to swap over notes etc. or if it automatically moves on to the next question. TIA

You’ve 90 seconds to prepare for the first question and 3 minutes for the others

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Slightly off topic, my query relates to internal competitions. Can anyone tell me, if a civil servant works in HSE or An Garda Síochána, is it ever the case that a doctor or a guard completes their form as a supervisor or should it always be a higher ranking civil servant?

I'm in AGS and for the last internal a number of EOs had Insp/superintendent signing off on their form as that is who their line manager is

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laurak100

Hi all, I think what Samjd is asking below, is if DURING the recording are there breaks between each question for a breather or a drink of water for example. Or can you choose whenever you're ready to move to the next question yourself?

Could anyone who has completed the SONRU video interview confirm if you can take a couple of minutes between questions, just to swap over notes etc. or if it automatically moves on to the next question. TIA

There's a short interval between each question (2 minutes I think?) for you to change your notes over and compose yourself!

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Skweefie

redmgar wrote: »
    What form?

When you go for internal promotion your 2 higher up line managers have to sign off on the form before submission. Giving their opinion as to whether you are HEO ready or not.

Slightly off topic, my query relates to internal competitions. Can anyone tell me, if a civil servant works in HSE or An Garda Síochána, is it ever the case that a doctor or a guard completes their form as a supervisor or should it always be a higher ranking civil servant?

It depends on the structure of your Division (AGS). In some places you are reporting to Garda staff supervisors and in others you may have sworn members as your line managers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Did anyone do the Internal HEO for Agriculture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RosieV

For anyone interviewing this month - did you get confirmation of receipt of your email confirming attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

RosieV wrote:
    For anyone interviewing this month - did you get confirmation of receipt of your email confirming attendance?

Nope and I sent the email on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Can you have a word document open while on Sonru one-way interview? Side by side? This question was asked previously but I haven't seen an answer? Thanks

liverbird1 wrote:
    Can you have a word document open while on Sonru one-way interview? Side by side? This question was asked previously but I haven't seen an answer? Thanks

Yeah you can, you can minimize both windows and have them side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MommaMiaJTB

Did anyone do the Internal HEO for Agriculture?

Yep I did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Yeah you can, you can minimize both windows and have them side by side.

Thanks did you do that? I note you did well. I am doing my one-way this week just trying to decide the best way to do it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Any idea where they are up to for calls to the video shortlisting on the Dublin list?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

So I’m def not a fan of the three minute timer. I think this has been a learning experience for sure. Wish I hadn’t known the leadership question was the ‘key’ qn because as prepared as I was, I offered a flustered mess of an answer.

Anyway, done and dusted now. Didn’t think I’d ever actively choose to have real humans in a room with me for an interview experience. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Purpletoes wrote: »
    So I’m def not a fan of the three minute timer. I think this has been a learning experience for sure. Wish I hadn’t known the leadership question was the ‘key’ qn because as prepared as I was, I offered a flustered mess of an answer.

Anyway, done and dusted now. Didn’t think I’d ever actively choose to have real humans in a room with me for an interview experience. :-)

Was it over zoom or in person?

Im sure you did fine ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Risoc

Can you cut the video short on the one-way interview once you’re satisfied you’ve said your piece?

Was it over zoom or in person?

Im sure you did fine ^_^

Neither. They record questions for you and then you have to record you answer. They are timed so the video cuts off at three minutes. There’s so much to try and fit into the answers that you need to be well prepared. I was but just became a bit flustered which isn’t really like me in this kind of situation.

Risoc wrote: »
    Can you cut the video short on the one-way interview once you’re satisfied you’ve said your piece?

I think so yes but I used my time so not sure. On the practice you certainly could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Risoc wrote: »

Yes you can i used 2.50 secs for the team leadership and 2 mins each for the management and delivery of results and analysis and decision making skills.

Risoc wrote:

You can indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Kenevil wrote: »
    Yes you can i used 2.50 secs for the team leadership and 2 mins each for the management and delivery of results and analysis and decision making skills.

Oh, that's interesting. And you passed, didn't you Kenevil?

• Advertisement

You can indeed

Very good to know - and you also did well Buckfast, right?

caarp wrote:
    Very good to know - and you also did well Buckfast, right?

Yeah I did ok and got placed 60 on the OOM, interview and presentation in about 2 weeks time.

Yeah I did ok and got placed 60 on the OOM, interview and presentation in about 2 weeks time.

That's fantastic Buckfast. Well done indeed! Do you do the presentation and interview at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

If you have extra time don't be afraid to add something like "and you can see that example shows I can do X and Y, which is very comparable to what a HEO does when they do tasks such as A and B", that's how I filled the last few seconds. All about the visualisation, imagine yourself in the role :) Though I think if your piece is good then a few seconds doesn't mean much!

caarp wrote:
    That's fantastic Buckfast. Well done indeed! Do you do the presentation and interview at the same time?

Yeah it's an hour total but it's all done together, 20 mins for the presentation and 40 mins for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

Does anyone have any help/advice/websites in regards to stage 3 presentation and interview? What should I expect? Anything at all would be a help as I've never gotten this far in a competition before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lemon drop

I didn’t use a word doc on screen. I printed them out and they caused me so much hassle that I didn’t need. I spent so much time looking to the side of the screen. I ran out of time on one competency too from trying to read my notes. So definitely have them on the screen. I did pass and have my interview in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait for this process to be over one way or another!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Would appreciate any info on what to expect for the presentation / interview ?

Yeah it's an hour total but it's all done together, 20 mins for the presentation and 40 mins for the interview.

Would appreciate any info on what to expect for the presentation / interview ?

PAS said you have a choice between 3 topics and you have to choose one. You also have a week to do the presentation before the interview. With regards the interview I'm sure it'll be similar to any other interview people have done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

bullet93 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any help/advice/websites in regards to stage 3 presentation and interview? What should I expect? Anything at all would be a help as I've never gotten this far in a competition before.

Know the competencies really well! I would speak to some HEO's/AP's in your office too, they might have some guidance or can arrange a mock interview. I find people often horde a treasure trove of stuff for their own preparation which you can draw from!

Advertisement