Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Unsure about the pass/failure rate but I believe all you have to do is hit the minimum mark in each competency in the interview/presentation/report to pass.

In the last HEO competition the pass mark for the interview was 41/100 for each competency.

There was a different set up for the presentation side but I think the pass mark there was about 45%.

Usually the pass mark is whatever for each competency but also an additional minimal mark overall to make the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lemon drop

Nedzer12 wrote: »
    Anyone know the pass/failure rate at this final stage in general? I did mine this week. It was a car crash for me. I have never felt as uncomfortable about an interview. Nothing was hard about it as such. I just had a terrible day.

Same, I don’t know what happened me but mine went badly from the beginning. I’ve so much experience and I just couldn’t get it across. Absolute carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Same here, I was desperate, so disappointed, especially having gotten this far, board were very nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BLOSSOM11

Hi, just wondering for the Sonru interview did anyone just read their responses off the screen? I'm worried with the timer ticking I'll go blank

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RosieV

BLOSSOM11 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering for the Sonru interview did anyone just read their responses off the screen? I'm worried with the timer ticking I'll go blank

Yes, I heavily relied on a script and I've seen others who also got through the video shortlisting in various competitions say the same. I used my phone to do the recording and had a Word document on my laptop next to it. I practiced a lot but there's no way I could have got all my points across in the timeframe without the notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

RosieV wrote:
    Yes, I heavily relied on a script and I've seen others who also got through the video shortlisting in various competitions say the same. I used my phone to do the recording and had a Word document on my laptop next to it. I practiced a lot but there's no way I could have got all my points across in the timeframe without the notes.

That's also what I did and I got through to stage 3

neevobeevo wrote: »
    Same here, I was desperate, so disappointed, especially having gotten this far, board were very nice though.

I was pleased with my presentation and it went downhill from there. Interview was a bit of a blur and very hard to make a call on. Board were also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

Lemon drop wrote: »
    Same, I don’t know what happened me but mine went badly from the beginning. I’ve so much experience and I just couldn’t get it across. Absolute carnage.

Yeah mine didn’t go brilliantly either. Board were very nice but I felt they kept cutting across me to ask another question rather than letting me finish the previous question. It was like they had 6/7 questions to ask per competency and they were gonna ask them no matter what my examples or answers were. Took one hour and 12 mins in total so was well over the time as well. Don’t know if that is a good or bad thing.

bullet93 wrote: »
    Yeah mine didn’t go brilliantly either. Board were very nice but I felt they kept cutting across me to ask another question rather than letting me finish the previous question. It was like they had 6/7 questions to ask per competency and they were gonna ask them no matter what my examples or answers were. Took one hour and 12 mins in total so was well over the time as well. Don’t know if that is a good or bad thing.
    Found the same. The follow up questions weren't in response to anything I'd said. It was hard to know if we were moving on because I'd hit the mark or was completely on the wrong track. Quite disjointed compared to previous interviews.
    I was an hour and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CJMB

Yeah, I found it tough. Not sure if the interruptions were also to try and test you and see how you'd respond. To make sure you weren't regurgitating from a script. Came out of it thinking it was tough but i thought I had done OK. With every day since I'm recalling how I answered something and now I'm thinking I did far worse! Really hoping for results in the next few days to put me out of my misery

• Advertisement

RosieV wrote: »

Thanks RosieV for your advice on this. Really appreciate it. Good to know it doesn't go against you reading from a script. I'm thinking if I practice a lot & put personality into it I should be OK so. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

CJMB wrote: »
    Yeah, I found it tough. Not sure if the interruptions were also to try and test you and see how you'd respond. To make sure you weren't regurgitating from a script. Came out of it thinking it was tough but i thought I had done OK. With every day since I'm recalling how I answered something and now I'm thinking I did far worse! Really hoping for results in the next few days to put me out of my misery

I’m the exact same. The longer it goes the more I’m thinking how badly I did. I was happy enough when it was over but as the days go on I’m starting to think I did terrible! Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I asked after my interview when I should expect the results and they said it would be a matter of weeks before I got them. So very doubtful it will come this month?

bullet93 wrote: »
    I’m the exact same. The longer it goes the more I’m thinking how badly I did. I was happy enough when it was over but as the days go on I’m starting to think I did terrible! Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I asked after my interview when I should expect the results and they said it would be a matter of weeks before I got them. So very doubtful it will come this month?

I didn't ask but the PAS rep told me they expect to have them out within 2 weeks, so early June.

Buckfast W wrote: »
    That's also what I did and I got through to stage 3

Thanks Buckfastleigh W. That's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jade80

Hi all, I was hoping you could help. I stupidly hit Kerry (no offence would love it) instead of Dublin on my application, I wasn't expecting to be called anytime soon but placed highly in both Kerry and Kildare and have completed the 2nd interview on the 13th May, i just wondering if this is for Kerry or Kildare, I've asked PAS but they haven't clarified, I know you only interview once, I'm wondering has anyone in Kildare been called?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JULESLEMON

RosieV wrote: »
    Found the same. The follow up questions weren't in response to anything I'd said. It was hard to know if we were moving on because I'd hit the mark or was completely on the wrong track. Quite disjointed compared to previous interviews.
    I was an hour and 10.

I had my interview Friday, I agree with this and the other posts. they cut across me I fought back and delved deep into my answers. Not sure if I passed, my presentation could of been better. I really don't know how I did, which is so odd. The interview felt like a rapid round quiz. I'm glad it is over. I wish you all the best. Feel free to PM me for a good chat about it. I was 50 minutes in total......eeek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I was about 1h5m was definitely cut across a lot as well but I think that’s their interview style.

I know someone who was interviewed by one of the HEO panelists for EO. They were cut across a lot as well but ended up with 40 being their lowest score across the 5 competencies.

Is 40 a pass or do you need at least 41 in all competencies to pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

neevobeevo wrote: »
    Is 40 a pass or do you need at least 41 in all competencies to pass?

Going off my EO interview and that persons interview it’s out of 50 and 20 is a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Well done and good luck to all those who had interviews last week. Hopefully ye aren't long waiting to hear back.

Are there any interviews on for Dublin this week?

• Advertisement

As far as I know there were 100 called for interview and I think those interviews finished up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EllieKelly123

Is the stage 3 interview on all the competencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

For anybody who got to stage three, when you got your stage two results did your order of merit change after the short listing or was it done after the interview? Or maybe both 🙄

Purpletoes wrote: »
    For anybody who got to stage three, when you got your stage two results did your order of merit change after the short listing or was it done after the interview? Or maybe both ��

Mine did, I went into the Top 100

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

JULESLEMON wrote: »
    Mine did, I went into the Top 100

Thanks for your reply. I’m top 5 and top 10 for my choices but feel the shortlisting exercise was a disaster. Have been trying to forget about it but the longer the results take the more I am wondering about what the outcome could be. Suppose a drop is better than a thanks but no thanks!

Purpletoes wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I’m top 5 and top 10 for my choices but feel the shortlisting exercise was a disaster. Have been trying to forget about it but the longer the results take the more I am wondering about what the outcome could be. Suppose a drop is better than a thanks but no thanks!

If you were in the Top 5 & 10 would you not be finished the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tinkerbell83

I think they meant their original OOM (5 & 10) was following the Stage 1 aptitude tests etc, and they are concerned about the OOM being worse following Stage 2 Video Shortlisting.

FWIW - I would assume anyone who passes their video shortlisting for the regionals will be called for Stage 3 interview. I don't think OOM will be as important/restrictive as the Dublin batches, due to the volume of people called etc..
    I'm hoping anyway.....just want the results either way now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Elpeep

Does anyone know when the Stage 3 results are likely to come out? Not an actual date, more whether the results will become available now the 100 people initially called for Stage 3 interviews have had their interviews, or whether we have to wait for the next group(s) of interviews to be done? I'm unclear of the process/how things unfold. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

Hi, I ranked 34 & 54 for Kerry/Limerick respectively after Round 1 back in March. Haven't heard anything since.

Have they started Stage 2 for Kerry/Limerick at all or just a case of they have not (or will not) reach me?

• Advertisement

Elpeep wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Stage 3 results are likely to come out? Not an actual date, more whether the results will become available now the 100 people initially called for Stage 3 interviews have had their interviews, or whether we have to wait for the next group(s) of interviews to be done? I'm unclear of the process/how things unfold. Thanks.

Stage 3 results are expected by the end of next week.

Advertisement