Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CJMB

Already in Dublin happy to stay here.

That's what I'm finding hard. I'm outside Dublin, but afraid if I don't take it I might not get offered a position in my other region. But location/department in Dublin makes a huge difference because of where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cardoyle

Anyone know how many were called for Stage 2 for Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Already in Dublin happy to stay here.

Well done on getting through! I know people in Dublin who requested to remain in their Department after getting placed in an interdepartmental competition and had no problems being kept in their Departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Well done on getting through! I know people in Dublin who requested to remain in their Department after getting placed in an interdepartmental competition and had no problems being kept in their Departments.

That's good to know, thanks. Best of luck with stage 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just to say though - it was noted in my interview that I had spent my entire time in my current department. Not my fault since I didn’t even tell anyone outside of my office that I went for EO and I just landed in the same organisation.

It wouldn’t be a bad thing if you went elsewhere if you were thinking of AP in the long term ! But personally my main goals are to 1) get promoted 2) out of my office 3) stay in my current organisation so no matter what I’ll be quite happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RosieV

I hope to stay in my department too, and notified my AP and HR as soon as results came out. Not looking too hopeful, we've no vacancies currently but they said they might change by the time my place is reached....it looks like that might be sooner than expected!

bullet93 wrote: »
    I made clearance as well. I hope to go I get put in a different department. Really don’t like were I’m currently based. When I got placed with EO I bargained with them on the phone as they were placing me on the south side and I eventually got north side.

I had previously asked if you get offered more than 1 option, but no one had answered. So you believe you might be able to bargain with PAS a little? South side of Dublin would be much much closer to me, but the department also matters as some Departments are more flexible with working remotely etc. Does it look like DSP and Revenue will have most of the vacancies? Anyone know of any other Dept with a lot of spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

CJMB wrote: »
    I had previously asked if you get offered more than 1 option, but no one had answered. So you believe you might be able to bargain with PAS a little? South side of Dublin would be much much closer to me, but the department also matters as some Departments are more flexible with working remotely etc. Does it look like DSP and Revenue will have most of the vacancies? Anyone know of any other Dept with a lot of spaces?

I don’t have an answer for you but best of luck. I’m just wondering, do they expect you take the HEO without telling you department or where in your chosen location???

It's hard to say because officially you don't get a choice, but I personally know people that have successfully negotiated and got a second offer. If you decline your Dublin offer, you'll still be considered for your other location choice but you're obviously risking not being placed.
    Flexibility is a factor for me too. My department are very supportive of maximising wfh in the future.

RosieV wrote: »
    It's hard to say because officially you don't get a choice, but I personally know people that have successfully negotiated and got a second offer. If you decline your Dublin offer, you'll still be considered for your other location choice but you're obviously risking not being placed.
    Flexibility is a factor for me too. My department are very supportive of maximising wfh in the future.

Thanks for that. I found the wording on the clearance message unclear. So you would take it that accepting to move for Clearance for Dublin doesn't rule you out of your other location, but obviously accepting a Dublin position does? My initial reading was that if you chose to move to Clearance in Dublin you were taking yourself out of your other region and thats what had me more worried!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I found the wording on the clearance message unclear. So you would take it that accepting to move for Clearance for Dublin doesn't rule you out of your other location, but obviously accepting a Dublin position does? My initial reading was that if you chose to move to Clearance in Dublin you were taking yourself out of your other region and thats what had me more worried!

I re-read it this morning because I initially took it as accepting clearance took you out of the other region, which seems harsh and not inline with previous competitions. It does say accepting a position so I do think it's only if you actually took the Dublin post. Maybe it's best to clarify that before accepting clearance if you're worried, or stipulate on your email accepting clearance that it's on the proviso you're still being considered for the other region until you accept a Dublin offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

Just for general information there are many people on the same OOM after the 1st stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MiggyB

Maybe they wanted to get the dublin people sorted before the regionals ? You’ve to accept by Tuesday 10am so that could be up to 100 people max taken out of regional stage 2

They always go with Dublin first to get as many as possible into vacancies there...people will take dublin fearing they may not get their county...a lot taking Dublin now we all wfh will be interesting to see what will happen in a years time when all back working. A lot will be looking for transfers back after two years but a lot of the regional positions will be filled by then also!!!!!For those waiting for local ones less competition for places!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

What exactly does going into clearance mean? Do they ring all previous employers to check that dates match up or to get references? How long should it normally take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

bullet93 wrote: »
    What exactly does going into clearance mean? Do they ring all previous employers to check that dates match up or to get references? How long should it normally take?

Clearance includes employment references checks to cover the last 3 years, Garda clearance and checking eligibility (eg if you needed a Level 8 for the role etc - but I don't think that applies to this comp).

Process usually takes around 2 weeks. They won't contact your current employer until you confirm it is ok to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PolarBearClub

So I think I've just got myself removed from the competition at Stage 3 on a technicality.

I read the original email inviting me to the stage on my phone, very happy to see all the details, start thinking about my competencies.

Received an email while on my lunch to say I have been removed from consideration as I did not email the provided address t confirm my attendance and with a copy of Photo ID.

A moment of devastation, followed by a hurried email to the address offering my apologies and crossing everything that I can still be eligible.

Maybe this is how they rule out people for reading comprehension.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jimbo1908

I was told that if you go into clearance and then refuse the position, you are not considered for your second location.

Jimbo1908 wrote: »
    I was told that if you go into clearance and then refuse the position, you are not considered for your second location.

I was told the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I was told the same

Its the same in public service. You must refuse before you go to clearance. Also, when I was initially offered EO for Revenue Dublin, was advised I had to refuse Dublin offer (which was 2nd choice) if I wished to be considered for my 1st choice, which I never got anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

So I think I've just got myself removed from the competition at Stage 3 on a technicality.

I read the original email inviting me to the stage on my phone, very happy to see all the details, start thinking about my competencies.

Received an email while on my lunch to say I have been removed from consideration as I did not email the provided address t confirm my attendance and with a copy of Photo ID.

A moment of devastation, followed by a hurried email to the address offering my apologies and crossing everything that I can still be eligible.

Maybe this is how they rule out people for reading comprehension.....

Hopefully they get back to you - it was mixed in with all the how to log on zoom stuff! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Just got an email inviting me to Stage 2.
    I was 447 on the OOM from Stage 1 for Dublin.
    Looks like I'm in the second batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 divine13

Just got an email too inviting me to Stage 2
    I was 559 on the OOM for Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

divine13 wrote: »

By any chance do you know up to what OOM are they calling for stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 divine13

Kenevil wrote: »
    By any chance do you know up to what OOM are they calling for stage 2?
    No idea. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

Snap for all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

For those who have accepted the positions in Dublin this morning, what departments are people being called for? Someone earlier mentioned Revenue and DSP? Are they the 2 biggest departments calling people right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

caarp wrote: »
    For those who have accepted the positions in Dublin this morning, what departments are people being called for? Someone earlier mentioned Revenue and DSP? Are they the 2 biggest departments calling people right now?

We won’t know where we’re placed until clearance is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

caarp wrote: »

Oh christ, probably the last 2 places I would want to work, along with the HSE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

No idea. Sorry

Do they not say on their mail "inviting up to xxxOOM"

I know in the first batch they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Aoibhinkenny

No idea. Sorry

I just got an email for stage 2 and I’m OOM 603

Advertisement