Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple and privacy?

Options
  • 16-12-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I'm a long-time Android user, very happy with both the hardware and software experience. What I'm very unhappy about is having Google knowing more about me than I do myself. I'm somewhat less concerned about foreign governments snooping on my dinner plans.

I won't need a new phone for another year, but with the price of iPhones, I want time to acclimatise to the possible spend. I know that for "proper" privacy I should get a Linux or deGooglified Android (Lineage) phone but I'm not sure that'd be flexible enough for me.

So my question for you guys is, what do you believe Apple (and its commercial partners) does with your data? I'm not at all knowledgeable about Apple devices. I've read various opinions online, but it's hard to tell where the truth lies between the extremes of the tinfoil-hat guys and the hardcore Apple fans who believe Apple can do no wrong. For comparison, I see Android as a system built for no other reason than to gather as much personal information as possible in order to pimp me out to its partners.

If it was 10 years ago I might be tempted by a Windows Mobile phone rather than Android or Apple. I'd be like "that guy" raving about his Zune :)

Anyway, apologies for the TLDR question, hopefully the wise Apple users on Boards have thoughts/opinions.

Advertisement