Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are AnyDesk and TeamViewer safe to use with someone you don't know?

Options
  • 16-12-2020 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

So long story short:
    • I installed some Black Hat-ish software and I can't get it working
    • Software owner has offered to help via AnyDesk or TeamViewer
    • How do I let them have access to my laptop for doing this sole purpose and ensure they don't go nosing around email etc?
    Can I use either of these programs for just this purpose and then immediately block the other person?

Are these programs easily deletable once they've served their purpose?

Once deleted; there's no way the person you gave access to your laptop can get back in, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

These are reputable software, currently in use by a lot of companies.
    You should try it with someone you know, or between your own devices, to see what they're about.

At the most basic level, think of it as giving someone control over your desktop: similar to someone coming to your house, and you step aside and let them use the mouse and keyboard, while you watch. If you see them do anything untoward, all it takes is one mouse click to cut their access.

Like I said, best way to educate yourself is to install the software and give it a spin on your own, to see what it's like. Also, google "is teamviewer safe" and read opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JoyPad wrote: »
    At the most basic level, think of it as giving someone control over your desktop: similar to someone coming to your house, and you step aside and let them use the mouse and keyboard, while you watch. If you see them do anything untoward, all it takes is one mouse click to cut their access.

Ok thanks

This is what I needed to know

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id disagree.

For example TV has a file transfer agent, they can start dumping your User directory as soon as they connect.

ED E wrote: »
    Id disagree.

For example TV has a file transfer agent, they can start dumping your User directory as soon as they connect.

That doesn't sound safe at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No need to spend money on TV or AD when you can use the Windows built in Quick Assist ?

Ken

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    So long story short:
    • I installed some Black Hat-ish software and I can't get it working
    • Software owner has offered to help via AnyDesk or TeamViewer
    • How do I let them have access to my laptop for doing this sole purpose and ensure they don't go nosing around email etc?
    Can I use either of these programs for just this purpose and then immediately block the other person?

Are these programs easily deletable once they've served their purpose?

Once deleted; there's no way the person you gave access to your laptop can get back in, right?

What was the software?

If you don't know how it works dont ever use it
    On team viewer a quick keystroke could backdoor your computer.

ZENER wrote: »
    No need to spend money on TV or AD when you can use the Windows built in Quick Assist ?

Ken

The first thing Google highlights is this
    Thus far, Quick Assist is not well documented, and in my opinion, presents several major security concerns for Windows 10 users:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The risk is that anyone could call an enduser and - in the all too familiar Microsoft support scam style - convince the user to provide access to their computer. This is the same risk found with TeamViewer or AnyDesk. The articles I've read all relate to the fact that it's builtin to Windows 10 and requires no additional software so users in an enterprise environment could potentially give access to someone they shouldn't.

Where I work we use it to provide support. All the computers in our organisation have only one Admin level account on them. Our main tool is TeamViewer but sometimes Quick Assist provides a quick no fuss way to get access when no Admin level access is required e.g. to show someone how to use an application or to check if they are using an app in the correct way.

If you take control of a computer that's logged in with a Standard user account (No admin privileges) then the session only provides that level of access. If you try to perform an action that needs Admin access the screen goes black and the user is asked to enter the Admin credentials which (in our organisation) they don't have so can't provide. The person giving assistance also can't change user so in our situation I can't log out the current user and log in as an Admin - the screen goes black so I can't see the dialog.

TeamViewer by default shows the UAC credential dialog and allows logout and log in to different users so in my opinion is less secure.

I still think it's a useful tool and when used with caution is quick and simple for the end user.

My 2c anyway.

Ken

Just to follow up on this:

Some emails, screenshots and much tenacity on my part later and I solved this without needing to install either of these

Thanks to all for the heads up re: the security on both Any Desk and Team Viewer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OP,
    Don't accept unsolicited remote desktop connection requests. If you've called the software companies call centre and they offered it during the call, there'd be less risk involved.

But something to take note of, some call centres have logging on their remote desktop tools. I don't know if Team Viewer supports it. So it'll be good to enquire about that if someone you called offers to connect.

Overall, I'd be wondering why they didn't have an FAQ or a Knowledge Base you could review. If something doesn't work after installing, it'll usually be a patch or minor config thing you could have looked at.

ED E wrote: »
    Id disagree.

AnyDesk has the same functionality too. And this can easily be done without either user being aware of it. Be it the person who initiated the connection, or the person who received the connection request. Loads of videos of it on youtube by people baiting cold call scammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can share your screen without giving control to them, get them to talk you through what needs doing, and you execute it, you get the help you need and all risk is mitigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Teamviewer has been linked to all sorts of hacking and security issues.

I use anydesk,

Advertisement