Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recall on a pot hole causing a puncture ?

Options
  • 17-12-2020 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I was driving this morning in north Cork and there was pot hole full of water. You wouldn't even know it was a pot hole, just looked like water on the road

Well my tyre went into the pot hole and Jesus H Christ I thought the whole alloy was damaged it was so bad

I got out to check and my tyre was completely blown

I went back to the pot hole and its absolutely ridiculous with the depth and size

I need to ring the council to get them to fix it before someone else damages their car or worse if speeding because its on a bend

For myself, do I have any recall or tough luck ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

In theory, yes you do. Reality might be a challenging 12 months to get €150 for a new tyre.

The Council has a duty to maintain its roads to a standard etc. If it was an R or L road, it's a council matter, N and M are TII controlled. (The council might reasonably argue that they can't be expected to maintain every boreen in the county....and that's a matter of opinion.)

Your best course of action might be to write to the council, explaining exactly what happened and when etc and advise that you will be seeking compensation for the damage caused. You should get the car checked out, tyre, alloy and suspension and take photos of the car anad the pothole.

As I said, it might be a challenging 12 months (or more).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

wally1990 wrote: »
    I was driving this morning in north Cork this morning and there was pot hole full of water. You wouldn't even know it was a pot hole, just looked like water on the road

Well my tyre went into the pot hole and Jesus H Christ I thought the whole alloy was damaged it was so bad

I got out to check and my tyre was completely blown

I went back to the pot hole and its absolutely ridiculous with the depth and size

I need to ring the council to get them to fix it before someone else damages their car or worse if speeding because its on a bend

For myself, do I have any recall or tough luck ?

If they've previously attempted a repair, then you've a case. If it's a "new" pothole, then you're out of luck.

If they've previously attempted a repair, then you've a case. If it's a "new" pothole, then you're out of luck.

This

They've no liability for "new" holes

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Happened me last Christmas, as far as I know it was a new pothole. Cracked alloy and tore the tyre,tyre shop said there is a form the council have to fill out so emailed them for that and then sent them a picture of the crater,location, date and time, the alloy and tyre. Cost to fix was 220 I think and their insurers paid out 155 which took about 3 months. Apparently you get up to 80% back depending on the age/thread left on tyre. They requested more pictures of the thread area of the tyre but I didn't have them as my tyre was damaged on side so only took up close pictures of that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Happened to me last year. Contact the council, you fill out a form and they paid up. Didn't take too long either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yep I got money back from the council too. Didn’t get the whole amount (didn’t ask why) but got most of what a new tyre cost. Ring the claims department.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would have said the same but it appears not to be true.
    It's funny the things that we "know".

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Happened to me last year. Contact the council, you fill out a form and they paid up. Didn't take too long either.

Out of curiosity
    Was this city or county council?

Advertisement