Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior Designer / Architect

Options
  • 17-12-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to get somebody in to tell me what I could do with a room in my house - but I'm unsure if it needs an architect or an interior designer. The room needs remodeling essentially and likely a wall knocked to make better use of the space, just need a steer on what could be done with it due to my limited imagination.

If there's any Cork based companies or people you'd recommend who would give a consultation I'd appreciate it :)

Comments

Depending on your budget, I wouldn't bother with an architect.

If you're getting a builder, get a few out to price the job. I got a fantastic idea from one (Titan- no connection ) as part of an overall extension project pricing. They'll give you a rough idea of prices, once you go at certain walls, prices can go nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Depending on your budget, I wouldn't bother with an architect.

If you're getting a builder, get a few out to price the job. I got a fantastic idea from one (Titan- no connection ) as part of an overall extension project pricing. They'll give you a rough idea of prices, once you go at certain walls, prices can go nuts.
    Thanks Mike, would assume I'd need to have a rough plan to give the builder or carpenter - as you say once you go at things prices can go quite high and I'd effectively be going into the attic somewhat and working around a support beam in the house. Main thing is I don't really have a clue what could be done with the space, could do with a steer there

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thanks Mike, would assume I'd need to have a rough plan to give the builder or carpenter - as you say once you go at things prices can go quite high and I'd effectively be going into the attic somewhat and working around a support beam in the house. Main thing is I don't really have a clue what could be done with the space, could do with a steer there

I'd ring a few builders, they'll have ideas, and will probably have done something similar somewhere!
    They'll be able to give you rough prices as you bounce ideas off each other. Knocking supporting walls is a much bigger job €€€€ than a few partition walls. Costs can be eye watering

Have a look at similar houses for sale - pretebd your interested, you'll get more ideas.

As above, just get a few builders out to have a look and they'll give you ideas. You won't really need drawings for a job like that. Architects are great at what they do but can have their head in the clouds when it comes to costs. Figure out what you can afford and stick to your budget. Good luck.

Advertisement