Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will Christmas Day be like for you this year 2020?

• 17-12-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I remember a thread from a few years ago and it was interesting reading how others spent the Day. Obviously, 2020 is a very different year, so how will you spend the Day this year ?

For us, the kids will probably get up early. No Santa this year but still lots of gifts and surprises. We'll light the fires and have French Toast for breakfast. We won't be going to Mass this year so will do video calls with family. If weather ok will go for a walk. Have some Prosecco and nibbles when we get back. Have dinner around 3pm. Traditional turkey and ham and all the trimmings. No guests this year. So movies and board games. Quiet and relaxing day hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Will be just me and my parents at home on Christmas morning. Heading to my sister's for dinner (time tbc still) then back home for the night. My sister wants me to stay (my parents won't) but it depends on how tired I am, with her fabulously energetic boys there wouldn't be much sleep going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Husband will go for in lake & we go to support / laugh at him. Wont be usual official swim this year but might be few others with same idea. My Mum comes down to us for lunch/dinner & she heads over to my brothers in eve & eat his pudding & fall asleep in front of the telly - no change there! We wont have my parents in law (from UK usually come on 26th for few days) or our Dublin friends for new year which is going to make it very quiet. really missing them right now. I lost a brother to cancer this year & his family are in UK so wont get to see them either. So all in all really weepy this Christmas just thankful for the husband & kids (still have one believer!) keeps us going & look forward to time off work, few meals out locally & walks with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

DSN wrote: »
    Husband will go for in lake & we go to support / laugh at him. Wont be usual official swim this year but might be few others with same idea. My Mum comes down to us for lunch/dinner & she heads over to my brothers in eve & eat his pudding & fall asleep in front of the telly - no change there! We wont have my parents in law (from UK usually come on 26th for few days) or our Dublin friends for new year which is going to make it very quiet. really missing them right now. I lost a brother to cancer this year & his family are in UK so wont get to see them either. So all in all really weepy this Christmas just thankful for the husband & kids (still have one believer!) keeps us going & look forward to time off work, few meals out locally & walks with friends.

Sorry for your loss DSN.
    I have always found the Christmas following a family bereavement difficult. Mind yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas Day will be spent at my sisters house. Day will start with up early exchange presents.

Bring dog for a walk. Shower and get into Christmas outfit. Then for the main event dinner.

Then it’s usually drinks and crisps/nibbly bits while watching the soaps (brother in law loves them. Me not so much) and we usually sneak in a board game in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Little man will most likely wake us about 7. Let him see his Santa presents, we'll have porridge for brekkie, early morning walk with our doggy. Back home for playtime and little one's lunch. Afternoon, we'll settle him for a nap and we'll have a fry for lunch :D Once he's up we'll head to my family home for pressies and then home for dinner, just the three of us and our doggy :) Evening will be spent in front of the telly, stuffing our faces, once our boy goes to bed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Solitary peace here as always. Hoping the Advent flurry of official mail etc I have been trying to deal with will STOP today.

Then, close the door on the world. After early Transatlantic calls.

All is in readiness here. Small tree, lights candles. cheese and chocolates,, Turkey even... all the foods that male the day special with all its traditions.

Many islanders are elderly and their Christmas days with their families are precious...

So gifts and cards have been sent ahead to them. And some have called by with small gifts

And I am not up to a long day. or much of a day at all! .
    Turf burning snug..

So, Carols etc on youtube, knitting, cats abed with me. Sweet luxury, and with all my loved ones gone ahead , in my heart, an important aspect of the Day for me. Candles lit..

Remembering and honouring with smiles. ,, and if tears creep in, fine.

Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, will prepare the meal. Parboil potatoes, parsnips, make the " turkey roast sandwich". etc etc etc. So that al I need do it turn the oven on and enjoy the fragrance,

Love all the special traditions etc.

It is a day I love now. Too old for regrets etc.

LOVE Christmas!

Argumental

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Same as every other year. Kids will have us up early, present opening, then church, then over to the inlaws for dinner. Cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Adding a PS.

It was the most unexpectedly lovely day in ways I never anticipated or imagined.

My neighbour ferried over a huge hamper from the local Meals on Wheels service and the Gaeltacht who care for the islands. Beautifully presented and packed.

So many luxuries as well as basics.

I watched him coming slowly down the drive with it in sheer amazement.

it is such a …. delight and far more. It lightens ageing. I have only just started getting a meal one day a week out here . and a lovely kind message with it

So that was an unexpected addition to my day.

Advertisement