Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation issue in main COVID thread

Options
  • 17-12-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was given a yellow card and a week off from the main COVID thread yesterday by Necro

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115630000&postcount=3732

I contacted the moderator via PM not actually complaining about the yellow card per se but complaining about the lack of consistency. The instigator of the goading who, as well as others, are let away with it all the time gets no infraction.

I brought this to the mod's attention

<snip>
    Then I get the copy/paste reply which is code for doing nothing.

<snip>

There is a clique in that thread who hound, insult and engage in low level bullying on an hourly basis of those of us expressing our concerns. "Curtain twitchers, great fun at parties, fear mongering...etc etc" and nothing ever done.

The idea is to make the other side of the argument uncomfortable to the extent many won't post there. Why? Because we know nothing will be done.

Yet when those of us defend ourselves on the thread - we get yellow cards and bans.

All i'm asking for is consistency. The poster in question started, as usual, the goading and insults - nothing done.

As long as you are on one side of the argument you have free reign to insult other posters.

I did not want to take this to help desk, I asked the moderator to be consistent but he has not responded.

The moderating over there is really poor and comes across as biased a lot of the time. I could provide numerous examples in the last 24 hours alone.

All most of us want is fairness and consistency.

ty

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have deleted the PM quotes

You are not permitted to quote PMs without the explicit permission of the sender. The only place this rule is relaxed is in the Dispute Resolution Forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can see one reported post from you over that 24 hour period (and that was discussed by 2 mods). I can see another 4 throughout the history of those threads (which constitute well over a quarter of a million posts)

I am not going to go looking for examples of inconsistency if you do not report them. Equally none of us have an obligation to read everything in what has been, by a very long way, the fastest and most voluminous topic throughout the history of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unfortunately the moderating there is not up to standard. You are allowing these snide insults go unchallenged.

Of course no one has the time to read every post but you don't have to. At most it's every two or three pages it's the same thing over and over again. And it's the same posters. You'll see every dig thanked by the same cohort.

It's not right. It poisons the discussion.

Please report any posts you have an issue with and we will have a look

Is it policy you only look at reported posts?

I'll gladly keep you busy if that's the case but I'm curious, what is the point in having moderators if they don't act on something they can see with their own eyes?

It shouldn't take every post to be reported.

It would probably be easier to say any poster referring to "curtain twitchers, bed wetters or party favorites etc etc" gets an automatic sanction. Why not just do that?

• Advertisement

I have already explained it is completely impractical and indeed unreasonable for you to expect us to read every post in every thread. We rely on reports. If we do get reports we will look. Of course we do not act on all reports - we review and if we feel a post is in violation of the forum charter, specific mod instructions or site rules we will act appropriately

We are also not going to dig back into things that were not reported at the time. I would suggest, at least initially, you stick to that 24 hour period you mention

We will also not outlaw specific terms. Context is key

I'll report going forward when I see things however there is no context for insulting other posters like that.

If I call someone a p****, that's ok because of context?

Can I have my week ban removed because of the context which is valid? It actually was not worthy of sanction anyway by comparison.

The instigating poster should also have gotten the same. Reported and nothing. So there's my answer.

It's shoddy and it looks bad as well.

Calling another poster a p**** is personal abuse which is against site rules

In terms of your ban there are processes to dispute them

Hi, i'd like this threadban overturned please on the basis it is a total misreading and wrong.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115745764&postcount=2369

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Threadbanned

Firstly I was not referring to any posters, I was not replying to anyone nor would I ever do such a thing.

I was referring to some members of the general public.

This seems perfectly obvious.

I appealed to the moderator (Necro) to be reasonable and to overturn it as per outlined in the OP, he refused to even consider it.

This thread ban is the most absurd I have ever seen.

I did nothing wrong here.

ty

Advertisement