Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options
  • 17-12-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭

Just seen the Dublin thread and got me thinking Cork must also have a few rough pubs of its own. A lad told me one time 'The constellation' across from the Heineken brewery is very rough but I was in there several times and didn't see anything unusual.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Just seen the Dublin thread and got me thinking Cork must also have a few rough pubs of its own. A lad told me one time 'The constellation' across from the Heineken brewery is very rough but I was in there several times and didn't see anything unusual.

I don't know what it is like really but the Fob and Gill in Mayfield has a good nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

The flying bottle (when it existed) was supposed to be rough but me and the good wife drank in there about 20-30 times and never saw anything dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LockedBoy

The Rochestown Inn could be well dodgy before she went up in flames

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

When I was in college, the Roundy used to have a bouncer in the middle of the day! People used to worry about the old biker bar Mojos but it was actually fine, I lived close by so had the occasional pint in there with one of my classmates who was into his motorbikes. Of course if you didn't walk in with a bike helmet on your arm you were ignored by most of the clientele :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The Screaming Monkey, used to be on McCurtain St.

Rough as a badgers behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Kind of ironic these rough pub threads when most if not all of them are closed right now :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Kind of ironic these rough pub threads when most if not all of them are closed right now :)

We need these threads now more than ever to contemplate and reflect on the pub scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kat (cat maybe) Club off Oliver Plunkett Street. Constantly fights going on inside and outside that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Side trax night club. Also just off Oliver Plunkett Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Just remembered the Three Ones on Barrack St, as a friend of mine from Cork said around that time, that pub is not for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Side trax night club. Also just off Oliver Plunkett Street.

The bouncers were more dangerous than the people who went in there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

opus wrote: »
    Just remembered the Three Ones on Barrack St, as a friend of mine from Cork said around that time, that pub is not for you!

Renamed several times, closed for years and now reopened under new management as a wine bar. Very nice.

A real piece of shi7 was killed at its door years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't know what it is like really but the Fob and Gill in Mayfield has a good nickname.

Any time I've walked past it's always had really dodgy looking characters hanging around outside. It's changed its name in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Soho full of norrys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

IIRC there was a very interesting spot on Barracka years ago...The Widow Quinn's...? Left hand side heading out of town...2/3rds of the way up the hill...?

Didn't spend much on the aul' decor, and and had a few 'great characters' amongst the clientele....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

Not really any rough pubs in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Ahh jaesus lads... Ma Dulleas on Tower st.

In there last year with my Wife not long after it was taken over. It was recommended by a friend of ours who said there was huge money spent on refurbishment.

Never in my life have I ever come across anything like it.

I won't name anywhere specific, but a good few heads from a local area already in there., only to be joined by a few more later on.
    Off their heads, and not just from drink. One guy comes in, never orders a drink, up on a table, starts dancing, stripping off, and not an eyelid batted in the place.
    This was only 7.30pm.
    First time in my life, I never finished the drink I had, and we legged it out of there.

Never ever to return.

Can't remember the name of it, but ended up in a pub just off Shandon Street once after playing a match. There were bullet holes above the fire place and I was told someone was murdered in there a few years previously. The place was a dump and we got out of there fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Level 42 wrote: »
    Soho full of norrys

Was nice when it first opened, then like Crane Lane drew every two pot screamer like moths to a flame.

No real rough spots of late, just places with lax admission policies that attract messy drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Rob n kill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Soho full of norrys

You spelt ethnic minority incorrectly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've been in to a good few rough looking spots or spots that I've heard were rough, but never properly felt out of place or had any hassle..........maybe that says more about me though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

You spelt ethnic minority incorrectly :D

Sorry norrie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I remember about 25 years ago ending up in a tiny pub on Kyle Street on a Christmas night out, it was no bigger than a small sitting room with 4 very suspicious looking customers all staring us out of it. We felt like we'd walked in on something. Even though it was still quite early in the evening a very tough looking barman stepped out from behind the counter telling us that under normal circumstances he'd be only too happy to serve us but they were just about to close so we'd have to leave. God only knows what was going on but it closed down not long after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Soho full of norrys

And some very tough and desperate mutton of both sexes masquerading as spring lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Danzy wrote: »
    Renamed several times, closed for years and now reopened under new management as a wine bar. Very nice.

A real piece of shi7 was killed at its door years ago.

Maybe I'm wrong (God knows, I often am) but is the Three Ones not Tom Barry's now?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I go back to the 70s 80s , The Roundy House, was in town one night and met a lad coming out of there .......via the Window, The old Raven before it was gentrified. The Sextant grand if you knew the lads if not it could get messy.
    The Original Bodega in Oliver Plunkett street bottles flying a plenty. Not a pub per se but the Door man in the Arcadia, Morgan was one tough hombre .
    The Manhattan and at various stages the Harp and Noels in the Hane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The red cove?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe I'm wrong (God knows, I often am) but is the Three Ones not Tom Barry's now?

No, pretty sure the 111s and Tom's coexisted.

Pigalle is where the 111s was afaik.

The Catwalk was pretty interesting!
    As mentioned, The roundy and The Raven were legendary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seamai wrote: »
    I remember about 25 years ago ending up in a tiny pub on Kyle Street on a Christmas night out, it was no bigger than a small sitting room with 4 very suspicious looking customers all staring us out of it. We felt like we'd walked in on something. Even though it was still quite early in the evening a very tough looking barman stepped out from behind the counter telling us that under normal circumstances he'd be only too happy to serve us but they were just about to close so we'd have to leave. God only knows what was going on but it closed down not long after.

I remember that pub but I only remember it being open for about a year.
    Ended up there on a Christmas night out, too. Twas grand that night.

Advertisement