Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Th Unicorn had a name for itself back in the day I heard.

Danzy wrote: »
    Renamed several times, closed for years and now reopened under new management as a wine bar. Very nice.

A real piece of shi7 was killed at its door years ago.

Ireland's first gangland hit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Sir henrys back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sir henrys back in the day

Hardly.
    Also there was in reality 2 Sir Henry's.
    You had the Indie disco and gigs Sir Henry's (the real Henry's!) and you had the dance music Sir Henry's.
    The dance nights could be a bit scummy, alright but I still wouldn't consider Henry's "rough".

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ltd440

No, pretty sure the 111s and Tom's coexisted.

Pigalle is where the 111s was afaik.

The Catwalk was pretty interesting!
    As mentioned, The roundy and The Raven were legendary.
    Correct, Pigale is the new name for the the 111.
    So called because its address is 111 barrack St.
    I remember being convinced to go for an early morning pint after coming off night shift in the late 90s, the catwalk was suggested.
    First of all a bouncer on the door at 8:30 am should have put us, but in we went anyway..
    Blinds down, disco lights blazing, dance music blasting and everyone buzzing off they're faces
    😂😂.
    What a crazy experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Hardly.
    Also there was in reality 2 Sir Henry's.
    You had the Indie disco and gigs Sir Henry's (the real Henry's!) and you had the dance music Sir Henry's.
    The dance nights could be a bit scummy, alright but I still wouldn't consider Henry's "rough".

Yeah. I only went to the indie nights in there and gigs. The bouncers were probably the most dodgy in attendance 90% of the time. They handed out a few hidings in their time.

The place down stairs when they turned it into a late bar was very dodgy. The Bakery.
    I never liked The Goat Broke Loose either. Way too many scrotes in there that would regularly go looking for trouble afterwards and often found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Many moons ago a friend living in Sunday's Well suggested visiting the Joshua Tree on Blarney Street, my one abiding memory was that it was full of very drunk and very rough middle aged women all being very raucous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Acosta wrote: »

The place down stairs when they turned it into a late bar was very dodgy. t.

I don't recall that.
    You had the village downstairs.
    And the klondyke bar towards the front.
    Part of the village was turned into The Far Side and, subsequently, Jack Plug's.

Don't remember the bakery, though.
    Did you enter from s. main street or through the hotel?

I never liked The Goat Broke Loose either. Way too many scrotes in there that would regularly go looking for trouble afterwards and often found it.

Goat Broke loose was never rough.

My idea of a rough bar would be Noel Murphy's / Quirkies..... Decent % of the patrons would have served time.... Plenty dealers in there. Not a place for randomers to call into really.

I don't recall that.
    You had the village downstairs.
    And the klondyke bar towards the front.
    Part of the village was turned into The Far Side and, subsequently, Jack Plug's.

Don't remember the bakery, though.
    Did you enter from s. main street or through the hotel?

The Bakery came along not too long before the whole place shut down. It was only there for about a couple of years. Would have been where The Village and Jack Plugs was. The entrance was on South Main St between Henry's main entry and the cab base. ABC was it? That's also long gone.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Goat Broke loose was never rough.

My idea of a rough bar would be Noel Murphy's / Quirkies..... Decent % of the patrons would have served time.... Plenty dealers in there. Not a place for randomers to call into really.

That's fair enough. It wasn't rough in there, but it was a different story when they spilled out onto the street at closing time, as I had the misfortune of witnessing a few times.

Noel Murphy's is the place by Barties right? Can't say I've ever been tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

JMNolan wrote: »
    The flying bottle (when it existed) was supposed to be rough but me and the good wife drank in there about 20-30 times and never saw anything dodgy.

My other half is from the area so I was in there a couple of times. Never saw any trouble there, just one of those typical dull suburban pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yeah. I only went to the indie nights in there and gigs. The bouncers were probably the most dodgy in attendance 90% of the time. They handed out a few hidings in their time.

The place down stairs when they turned it into a late bar was very dodgy. The Bakery.

There was a reggae night in the Bakery for a while in the late 90s, went there once. Dodgy enough clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I can confidently say you can walk into any pub in Cork and not feel unsafe unless you act the bollox. I don’t think there is a rough pub.

There is one pub which might be a bit of a shocker to some that I have witnessed the most punch ups and that is the An Spailpín Fánach. I must been there 30 times and 5 or 6 of them times have had a scrap. Mostly harmless though and 4 of them were between different brothers on a stag night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Augeo wrote: »

Noel Murphy's was never a dodgy pub, I would have been a pretty regular there in the 80's and early 90's. Working class, drinking man's pub like so many in Cork at the time. Likewise The Raven, before it was gentrified.

The only Cork pub I ever felt a frisson of fear in was The Quinryan on Barrack Street, long since gone now. Definitely had an element of criminal clientele and you DEFINITELY did not want to say anything negative about the IRA! Still, I enjoyed many a quiet afternoon in there during my college years, while studiously (geddit?) ensuring I was long gone well before closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Bakery was a brilliant spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

The thomond rough as a badgers arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I think in general the standard of behaviour, safety, general experience in alot of pubs has dropped over the years, or maybe I'm just getting old!

I do think though alot of pubs that were well run, clean, trouble free back in the day have inevitably fallen by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The Anglers is very rough since the HollyHill Inn closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Any pub north of the river......

I'll get me coat....lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

Sinn é - Only messing, that is one of my favorite pubs !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

horgan_p wrote: »
    The Screaming Monkey, used to be on McCurtain St.

Rough as a badgers behind

Actually made primetime about drug dealing was owned by a former basketball player.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ltd440

The Rob Roy

I wouldn't call it rough exactly, but the friars walk tavern attracts a certain type of crowd whenever there's a big celtic game on and around easter sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I wouldn't call it rough exactly, but the friars walk tavern attracts a certain type of crowd whenever there's a big celtic game on and around easter sunday.

Oh boo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

ltd440 wrote: »
    The Rob Roy
    That used to be such a nice bar early 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

ltd440 wrote: »
    The Rob Roy

sure is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

mean gene wrote: »
    The thomond rough as a badgers arse

I remember when is was "The Pitz", in it's heyday you were no one in Cork until you had made it past the bouncers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Seamai wrote: »
    I remember when is was "The Pitz", in it's heyday you were no one in Cork until you had made it past the bouncers there.

I remember my older sister bringing me in there during the day while she drank cider. I must have been about 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wouldn't say it's rough tbh. I live close to there and out of some of the other pubs in the area (Ma dulleas or The Manhattan in particular), it's not bad. The Gallows is another that whilst I've never been in there, I never get a great vibe off there when you drive or walk past.

Advertisement