Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough pubs of Cork

Options

Comments

titan18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's rough tbh. I live close to there and out of some of the other pubs in the area (Ma dulleas or The Manhattan in particular), it's not bad. The Gallows is another that whilst I've never been in there, I never get a great vibe off there when you drive or walk past.

I've lived near all those pubs and they are/were worse than the friars walk tavern for sure. In fairness it's been a long time since the guards have been up to the tavern but it's still a kip.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Noel Murphy's was never a dodgy pub, I would have been a pretty regular there in the 80's and early 90's. Working class, drinking man's pub like so many in Cork at the time. Likewise The Raven, before it was gentrified.

Rival drug gangs rattling the window bars with machetes isn't at all rough. Nor the pub being the den of a local family who were involved in a feud. Yeah, not at all rough....

titan18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's rough tbh. I live close to there and out of some of the other pubs in the area (Ma dulleas or The Manhattan in particular), it's not bad. The Gallows is another that whilst I've never been in there, I never get a great vibe off there when you drive or walk past.

The Manhattan is derelict for a decade now.
    The Gallows is full of wannabes... Being around the corner from a drugs supermarket some of the lads in there think they are the lads.
    To be fair a few of them battered someone who threw a punch at the owners son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Kat (cat maybe) Club off Oliver Plunkett Street. Constantly fights going on inside and outside that place.

Cat walk AKA rat walk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Cat walk AKA rat walk

I walked in there once and straight back out again. Nightmare of a place.

• Advertisement

Cat walk AKA rat walk
    A lad I used to work with worked there years ago as a dj. When asked about it he used to say those people have to drink somewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

I used to go into the rough pubs around the country and never had a problem

The Friar's Walk Tavern was grand back in the day, was in there a good bit and no hassle. Could be different now.

Dunfyy wrote: »
    I used to go into the rough pubs around the country and never had a problem

Sidetrax?

A lad I used to work with worked there years ago as a dj. When asked about it he used to say those people have to drink somewhere.

He’s right unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

First time I ever went out when I was 18 was to there and then on to mangans. No wonder I hate going out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Just seen the Dublin thread and got me thinking Cork must also have a few rough pubs of its own. A lad told me one time 'The constellation' across from the Heineken brewery is very rough but I was in there several times and didn't see anything unusual.

The Constellation is a grand spot, the roughest pub I’ve been in Cork is on Shandon St, kids in their school uniforms doing their homework whilst the parents quaffed.
    The roughest pub I was ever in period was in Killybegs, watched the barman knock a fella out and he then went back to serving pints as if nothing happened.

The Constellation is a grand spot, the roughest pub I’ve been in Cork is on Shandon St, kids in their school uniforms doing their homework whilst the parents quaffed.
    The roughest pub I was ever in period was in Killybegs, watched the barman knock a fella out and he then went back to serving pints as if nothing happened.

The bronx? Kay Mahony’s?

The pubs in Killybegs are grand spots. Beautiful place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Seen and been in a few fights in mangans nightclub years ago in college, think its closed, don't be in cork much anymore, was moks on barrack street rough? Always meant to pop in while in college .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Seen and been in a few fights in mangans nightclub years ago in college, think its closed, don't be in cork much anymore, was moks on barrack street rough? Always meant to pop in while in college .

Moks is about as rough as the teletubbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

The Catwalk and Mangans are up there.

I once saw 2 girls in the Catwalk sniffing their lighters openly while dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭newhouse87

.red. wrote: »
    Moks is about as rough as the teletubbies.

ah right, just had a look about it, seemed bit like an old mans pub alright, is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Never had any issues around cork. In the north east of England however, you literally can't go into a pub without someone wanting to fight you for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Never had any issues around cork. In the north east of England however, you literally can't go into a pub without someone wanting to fight you for some reason.
    This thread is making me laugh, there aren't any really "rough pubs" in Cork anymore and nostalgia for those that are long gone is baffling? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There are rough pubs in every county but you have to be objective about it. If a pub gets several visits from the guards to break up fights or if there are known criminals drinking there then yeah, the name is justified. But if a pub or the people in there arent your cup of tea, and for whatever reason you leave feeling safer than when you walked in, thats projection on your behalf and just because someone has a loud voice, or the barman is slow, or the music is political etc, doesnt reflect on the persons character at all.
    I have been to several "rough" pubs over the years and i find once you salute people, are friendly and keep to yourself, most people are dead on and some of the characters in these pubs can be more interesting to listen to than any "cool" patrons of more upmarket pubs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Linen weaver that place is so rough a barman got stabbed in there a few months ago. Dredges of society no bouncers cheap drink awful kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The Catwalk and Mangans are up there.

I once saw 2 girls in the Catwalk sniffing their lighters openly while dancing.

Are you sure it wasn't amyl nitrate, aka poppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Pinecroft, Grange. Now there was a kip. Animals of regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Linen Weaver, absolute kip, the only pub that needs bouncers during the day. Its rare I walk passed and there isn't a fight or some agro at the door.

I went to a party in the Pinecroft in Grange years ago and that was definitely the worst I've encountered. **** hole interior and a load of mouthy scumbags in there, looking to cause hassle.

The catwalk was another absolute dive, I knew a lad doing door work there and management basically told them let anyone in, he always felt his job was fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Streets, in the Grand Parade Hotel. Reminded me of that nightclub in the film Intermission. Grab a granny and dog rough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Streets, in the Grand Parade Hotel. Reminded me of that nightclub in the film Intermission. Grab a granny and dog rough with it.

That's what the klondyke ended up being called!
    Couldn't remember that.
    Had some bizarre late late nights in there after Henry's or Village gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I wouldn't call it rough exactly, but the friars walk tavern attracts a certain type of crowd whenever there's a big celtic game on and around easter sunday.

Will ya go away outta that. They go to Glasgow once every 5 years and think they are provos.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

The Flying Bottle. Closed now though.

• Advertisement

The Flying Bottle. Closed now though.

The local dole lifers were protesting to get it reopened when it shut

Advertisement